A Modern gear and PS Audio or virgin

Yup, took a quick peek. Nothing on there at There moment…

Firstly, what part of the world do you live in?

You seem to have a really well balanced system and going to PS Audio seems a dramatic shift in concept and price. The Tannoys are a classic with 15" HPDs. Are they in good condition? The PL Prem is an ideal amplifier. I’ve not heard the SP Audio phono stage, but it seems a bit of overkill with a Linn Adikt. I am currently comparing a number of high output cartridges (Ortofon 2M, Goldring 2500 and SoundSmith Zephyr Mk3). I am currently using two phono’s, the outboard one being from Vertere, which can handle a 0.28mV MC cartridge remarkably well. Prima Luna also have a new range of pre-amps, already well regarded. The BHK is of course very well regarded.

The DAC really is the easy bit, a Stellar Gain Cell would be a good place to start. However, you may be better off with a streamer/DAC and there are good options, but none from PS Audio - yet. Systems using NAD BluOs and Auralic Lightning apps are very popular, and you can still use your iPhone.

Are you planning on turntable upgrades in the future? If so, what?

the tannoys are in great condition with new surrounds. I am living up in TO. I do not have any plans to upgrade my T/T at the moment, I am quite pleased with the Linn LP12. Yes, It may be a dramatic shift per se, But I do feel as though it is lacking…something. It may be a good idea for me to begin with the DAC- What has brought me to change everything is synergy. I’d like to compliment everything accordingly so that I do not have a system that is all over the map. I also need to get out of using the AUX w/ iPhone iTunes…It does sound flat and lifeless. My original thoughts were, change the PRE with a separate Phono stage, during that time continue using RCA out to iPhone (I thought it may improvement given the BHK Preamp) until I picked up a DAC to Sync into my system. Unfortunately, I can not get a DSD + Phono Pre without selling my ARC SP11…I do have other Preamps (such as a Marantz 7t), but they may not hold me over until I am to grab a more suitable pre. The currently deal now would allow me to get the BHK Pre + the Stellar Phono trading in my SP11 with some cash, which is reasonable considering I am paying CAN exchange and my account is USD. There are no deals here at the moment for a DSD. Hope that made sense.

Glad to hear about the Tannoys and for many people LP12 is a lifetime of pleasure and no need to change.

MM phono amps really are not rocket science. It’s MC ones that are an issue, with regard to noise, compliance and power supplies. You can get perfectly decent MM phono stages for very small money and with respect to PSA, spending the money on a bells and whistles MM/MC phono stage for an Adikt seems pointless if you are never going to be using a low output cartridge.

For complete synergy, the obvious MM phono stage is the EAR 834P

There is one available here, bizarrely just outside Boulder.

It’s been around for decades, valves, a complete classic. Tim de P, the designer, is very well known, for his own fantastic range and, for example, he designed all of Quad’s current valve amplifiers.

You live in Toronto, home of Bluesound, possibly the most popular streaming hifi on the planet. Get hold of a Bluesound Node 2i, plug it into the back of your SP11 and see what you think. If you can’t borrow one, they cost C$649. They have fantastic software and operating system.

The thing about the Node 2i, it contains a perfectly good DAC, but if you get a better DAC from PS Audio you can use it purely as a streamer as it has a range of digital outputs.

At some point I’m sure I’ll go MC, so I’d like the flexibility of an MC phono. How bout the Bluesound Node 2i with BHK pre? Seems affordable and would allow me to also get the phono fr PSA

Depends if you want a valve or solid state phono amplifier. There are some terrific high output cartridges from Benz and SoundSmith, like the Zephyr MkIII I bought a few weeks ago (US$1,500). Personally I would not get an MC phono until I was into an MC cartridge, and there is a lot said for getting a SUT from the same manufacturer that is compliant with the cartridge.

I have no idea about pre-amps, I don’t use them and am not of the school that believes they add anything. I assumed you are buying the BHK pre-amp.

For quite a few reasons, even though I didn’t hear it myself yet, I’d firmly recommend the Stellar Phono with the BHK pre. Even without a BHK. I had the EAR and know it. Nice and a cliche matching tube, but for sure nowhere near the Stellar except in bloom and richness.

1 Like

This was very helpful, it looks like I’LL grab a DAC, looking into a PS Jr. and have been reading about Ifi Pro DSD- I may need one with a Wifi option, my router is located on the other side of the room and feel running a long cable to connect may compromise audio.

I run 25m cabling from my server to my streamer. Wired is generally more reliable. You don’t need expensive cables either. Many manufacturers avoid wireless because their customer support then spend most of their time sorting out connectivity issues.

I use WIFI option, it has no issues.

good info, thank you again.

Hi cocobean,

You have some nice problems to solve. As you have stated you are 60% vinyl 40% Aux/iPod, it would be good to know why you have that balance. It might be that the vinyl system sounds so much better so the iPod is only for convenience or background listening.

The digital front end seems to me to be the weak point but there is also considerable upside with your vinyl rig that a better phonostage and cartridge could provide.

What is your current priority?

My initial thought would be to keep the Audio Research, and find a DAC / Server setup. How much to spend on a digital front end depends on the priority you place on digital vs vinyl. As most of us don’t have an unlimited budget, you are probably better off prioritising one over the other.

Best,
Chris

As it happens, someone is supposed to come take my whole system from me…I will just start from scratch and rebuilt a system.

A clean slate is nice to have. Now you have a confusingly large array to choose from.

Interesting. That could be liberating or terrifying depending on your outlook. When you have infinite choices the fear of making a wrong choice can paralyse decision making. Good luck with whatever you decide.
In your shoes, I would decide on a primary source, optimise that and use whatever funds left over to maximise the other source.
Best,
Chris

Analysis paralysis. Happens to me all the time. It took me 6 months to pick out a set of new tires for my car at Tire Rack. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

@Baldy I feel your pain. You sound even more paranoid than me.

Sometimes I think intelligence is a curse. It seems like people with less intelligence or less education rarely have these types of issues. Not saying I am one way or the other.

1 Like

My $0.02:

1. What a great opportunity!
  2. Pour the largest percentage of you budget into your speakers and your room set up.
  3. Build your system from the speakers backward in terms of budget allocation to the parts of the signal chain.

If I could start from scratch, that is the path I would take.

1. (Or maybe this should have been No. 1) Enjoy the journey and keep us posted.

Cheers.

1 Like

it certainly gets more confusing starting from scratch with so many options available. I have read the best thing to so is sink majority of budget into good speakers. I have grown to LOVE the tannoy sound, unfortunately any of the newer versions are out of my range. I’d have an easier time grabbing Gold drivers and building some cabs to fit into my space accordingly. I also have a set of Proac response 2 at some point may make it’s way into experimentation. As far as gear goes; PS along with ARC, Audio Note and a couple others remain at the top of my list for purchase. Ideally, I’d like a setup that will prevent me from the desire to change things up in a short amount of time. In the meantime, I have some vintage gear that will hold me over until I am able to make up my excited and confused head.