A Modern gear and PS Audio or virgin

If you appreciate the Tannoy sound look into Fyne Audio speakers.

Sounds good…

You can enjoy the vintage stuff while you save up for your “last” pair of speakers you will ever own.

:slight_smile:

Anyone have any experience with Hart Audio Phoenix speakers?

I’m with scotte, spend your money on the best speakers you can afford. I would go with a known quantity. Don’t mess around with speakers that don’t have lots of available feed back from owners, unless you can listen to them for an extended period, with a myriad of associated equipment. In my opinion, an entry level (modern production) Tannoy, Focal, etc, is a better bet, than a “high end” speaker that has little available critique.
How exciting, embrace your journey, have a blast!

All good stuff and agree with what you’re saying…

1 Like

DAC related; is the PSA perfectwave MKll with bridge considered a good choice to stream (I.e. viaTidal) by today’s standards?

I’d advise getting a DSDjr, if budget is an issue, I’d wait and save. Perfect wave is not on the same plane.

Got it. Thank you. Seems like there are soo many DAC options out there to choose from.

Certainly was in its day and while it’s successor is a lot better, there’s nothing wrong with streaming on a PWD

Quick update many days later…I wound up getting an Ifi Pro Dac which is running into my new BHK pre amp and grabbed a Stellar Phono on a killer deal. Still using my PrimaLuna hp Amp accompanied by 8 kt150s…sounds just great, but still on the hunt for a BHK250 deal to complete the system. But then again, does it ever come to an end?

What speakers are you currently using?

Tannoy Precision 6.2

Lucky you - very reasonable and highly regarded speakers. Easy to drive. Prima Luna probably as good as anything else, especially with the high output valves. I had similar sensitivity speakers with 8 x KT88 and was fine.

You preferred the 88’s over the el34 or KT150?

I had 300B then KT88.

I now use less sensitive speakers with solid state, but I’ve heard several lovely EL34 with Tannoy 15".

I had 15’ tannoy HPD…Loved them. Unfortunately, my current listening space is too small to house them. Although my PL amp with the 150’s are (if I had to guess) 50% life left, I order 8 new 150s…Wondering if I will hear any sonic difference.

I think you can put KT88 in that amp as well. Maybe ask your dealer or email Prima Luna? Should be plenty of power for the Tannoy.

Answer: All PrimaLuna tube amps are built to be compatible with a wide range of tubes. Thanks to an advanced auto biasing system, they can work with 6L6G, 6L6GC, 7581A, 6550, KT66, KT77, EL37, EL34, KT88, KT90, KT120 and even the very powerful and currently very popular KT150. All that’s required is to flick a switch on the right-hand side to choose between the basic EL and KT families and the amp does the rest.

1 Like

I’ve never tried kt88.s-Only el34 and KT120. I am currently using the KT150s, but they are older tubes, which is why I order some new ones. yes, should have plenty of juice for the 89db tannoy

I used the Gold Lion KT88, better than the TungSol, and quite a lot cheaper than the KT150. The JJ are cheaper still and I seem to remember people liking them.

http://www.hotroxuk.com/matched-valves-links-page-12ax7-6l6-909-0/6550-kt88-kt90-page-2688-0.html

I couldn’t agree more,I use KT88 I use gold lion I’ve tried the 150s and EL34s and the 120s I settled on the KT88’s they just seem to do everything right.I have not experienced any power deficiencies whatsoever going from the 150s to the 88s .
The Mullard KT88 seem to be the exact same tube as the gold lion they are made in the same factory I have both and I cannot tell a difference between the two other than the fancy paint job and the price