a real piano sounds nothing like any recordings i have why ??

State Of The Art

I figured that after I asked the question I am such a tart.

Thanks

Al

The peak SPL of a piano can be as high as 120dB …

Of course, you’re welcome to check the SPL of Your speakers …

Yes, there is an incredible amount of energy in the initial transient (hammer strike) of a note played on a piano. As noted though, this is only one of many things that make acoustic instruments all but impossible to recreate exactly with current audio system technology - even megabuck SOTA systems.

While it may not duplicate the ‘live’ experience, recorded music is still enjoyable - if you are listening to the music and not the system… :open_mouth: Listening to the system can take the joy out of the music experience.

J.P.

dave03hd said: Why do you think they call it "Hi-End" Because if you want to recreate perfect sound you have to pay for it. My system sounds awesome, but then again I have about $20,000 dollars in it . . .

Leaving aside that this is hardly an expensive system, the problems cannot be solved with money - at least with current technology. Even in the best bespoke listening room with the finest equipment, we cannot reproduce a solo monophonic instrument or the human voice in a fashion that even begins to fool one into thinking the real thing is in the room.

Yes, the sound is wonderfully enjoyable. Once can appreciate the artistry of the performer, easily recognize the technique, the individual timbre. This is why I listen. Yet, it only hints at the real thing. It remains a simile.

erikm said:. . . listening to music on a hifi is not "being there" it simply can't be because it's a different reality.

This is a separate issue entirely, but an excellent point. Even if the sound itself was identical the experiences would, indeed, be very different. We are additionally very fortunate to be able to listen to performers who are no longer with us, and performances which were unique.

I think we all do both listen to music and our systems , if we are just relaxing and listening. Anyone or adjust the volume or any other control is doing so because at that point you are listening to the system. But I do get the point of just listening to the music as this is where the real enjoyment is. Fo me I tend to enjoy listening with my iem,s more . The simple answer is I am on a train with nothing else to do, but enjoy the music.

Al

The best recording of a piano I have is 2L Nordic sound “Canon Mirror” in MCH SACD. I would say it sounds so good/real on my system some people could easily be fooled.

Do you have it ripped to dsd. And is it 64 or 128 dsd. .?

Al

I should add to my previous comment: I was playing Mozart discs for that pianist who found the reproduced sound realistic. I doubt that if I had played Liszt, with his much stronger dynamics, that she would have reached the same conclusion.

Realistic is a relative term. :slight_smile:

I am certain the sound is excellent, but I doubt any musician would be fooled into thinking an actual piano is playing in the room - much less a pianist. The ADSR of a single note reveals it is fake.

I find fascinating that the sound of Edison’s 1887 phonograph was described as indistinguishable from the sound of the recorded singer. With hindsight, we all know this is far from true.

Yet, many of us suffer from the same conceit - born of the astonishment we continue to have at being able to reproduce music at will - that our systems produce the same sound as an actual singer or instrument.

I think part of it is pride , as we spend good money and then we play to make it sound great. And if we adopt the notion of it will never sound as a live performance , we might not bother in the first place. Of all the speaker rigs I have owned including the big irs in NC. I never really cared about how accurate it was. It was more about looking at it and just listening to it. Now since I have belonged to this site and have a renewed interest in speaker rigs I fine my self for the first time going for the real thing. As I have decided to buy a new active crossover from DEQX system. Now this new item comes with a hefty price tag. It has all I should ever need like DSP , with room correction ,EQ and a host of stuff . I even bought a support package where they log in remotely to make adjustments and run tests. Anyway the point is this comes after I have now discovered what I want will never be had and I now must humer myself in this. Funny as it seems the very first time I start to do it all correct with the help of many on this very site , I now know it’s all in fun anyway.

Thanks ps audio for all the education I receive from here and I am shure all the annoying questions from me that tax you all. I really do appreciate the site.

Al

I can think of many live venues I’ve attended where the music sounded like mush, or was so loud it was uncomfortable, or that seating or standing for extended periods made my old bones hurt. I find often that the imperfect sound of my recordings in a relaxed and comfortable setting gives more pleasure.

2 Likes

Was it outdoors and raining too , ive done that at jones beach ny. That is not the point of this, and the venues do not keep me from going my life style does. Its just the fact that no mater what I have it is not real music .

al

dpaananen said: I find often that the imperfect sound of my recordings in a relaxed and comfortable setting gives more pleasure.

This sure can be the case, especially the too loud part. I have no idea why so many enjoy volume as volume.

Volume as volume ?

Many like the volume turned way up when they listen to music, especially at clubs and bars. The music does not sound better; it is just louder.

Volume merely for the sake of volume.

alrainbow,

Yes, I understood your point that recorded music is by definition compromised. I wanted to point out however, that for me many live performances weren’t ‘real’ either. The goal for me is enjoyable experience. Technical accuracy is a contributor, but not the goal.

I understand your statement. And agree to a point , but if the sound system is so bad it truly does become the bigger part of the experience. Case in point I was at west bury music fair. They players were john luponti and Al demeiloa. Please excuse my spelling . any way the music was fantastic but the sound was horrible. Anyway when done I bought there cd and had them sign it. The person in front of me said what I was thinking . The same thing hAppened to me with ion Anderson . Now of course I have been to many great sounding concerts as well. But the better sound is more enjoyable and I intend to go to a place in NYC on loudlow st . It’s a small venue .

And thanks elk for the explanation . I mostly do not play my music loud weather with speakers , headphones or iems . But ocationaly I do and if my ears are ringing when done it is a reminder of not to.

Al

I think we should not forget that our systems do much more than a single instrument. It’s doing all the instruments and voices at the same time. In doing so it has to give instruments and voices a place in the listeningroom. And will give us an idea of the acoustics of the recording environment.

I think that is something! :wink:

The point remains one instrument being a piano how real is it. Answer not that real. I have done this on two speaker rigs and various headphones and IEM,s . Headphones comes the most real but not real.

Now given all adjustments are taken away with headphones. And it’s about 12 k in equipment. And it’s great but not real. Anyone here who has piano test it yourself. A real piano not a keyboard, as a keyboard sounds nothing like a piano .

Al