Advantage of Dedicated Circuit with Power Plant

I see that many people here recommend that you install a dedicated circuit for your system even if you have or will purchase a Power Plant. Can someone let me know why that is a recommendation, if the Power Plant outputs pure and regulated power? Is this a matter of being able to support the 15 or 20 amp load since no other devices outside of your system would contribute to this load? If so, wouldn’t the maximum continuous load of the Power Plant prevent the shared circuit load issue. If I don’t know what I’m talking about the let me know. I’m really just trying to understand the logic of dedicated circuits and Power Plants.

The dedicated circuit isolates your audio from noise introduced along the line on shared circuits. PowerPlants don’t filter HF noise introduced by your TV, microwave or other SMPS powered devices.

You also need a 20A circuit to power a P20 to maximum capacity.

I have a similar question but vice versa. If you have a dedicated line installed… whats the point of getting a power regenerator? Wouldnt a power conditioner suffice? There would be no noise from any other electric appliance or electric use in your house. Thats the point of the dedicated line right?

You still would have to deal with the voltage fluctuations and the PP also provides a lower output impedance, which according to PS audio and others improves sound quality.

I have a 20amp dedicated line for my main system, and a 15amp shared line for my office system. The dedicated circuit gives me on average between 0.2-0.3% THD reduction compared to the shared line. It’s a small amount but measureable. Both THD readings are generally less than 2% THD incoming line distortion. In both cases, THD out after a power plant is 0.1%.

Can a power conditioner do that? Doubtful…A good quality power conditioner is certainly better than nothing, but I doubt it will equal a regenerator.

Top photo is a P12 in the main system.
Bottom photo is P5 in office system.

1 Like

If you “only” have 110 volts… All others “only” need 16 amps…

1 Like

I see what you did there. I assumed OP is in the US given they indicated 15 / 20 amps. All others don’t all use 220v, btw… i.e. Japan.

1 Like

Thanks. This looks like the reason. I was unaware that the power plant didn’t reduce high frequency noise. I’m not doubting the effect of a power plant but thus would have been great information for ps audio to specify in their marketing material.

Maybe it is a bit optimistic to think that a dedicated circuit will isolate your system completely, but for sure it will reduce unwanted noise. If you have only one “incoming power line” in your house, than all of your equipment will be connected together at the circuit breakers. But, you can add a better (hifi) circuit breaker and good quality cable for your dedicated power line, which can improve SQ. Why? Because unwanted signals (noise) will attenuate within only several meters already. !

If you want to go one step further, get more separated incoming power lines to your house. Than, you can isolate your hifi system from your other appliances, BUT you will still “enjoy” the noise coming from your neighbours.

Perhaps I should have said “mitigate” rather than isolate, but I appreciate and agree with the added context. One can chuckle at “balanced isolation transformers” still passing along ground noise.

You’ll have to read through all my posts on power to get a sense of the systems approach I’ve taken. It’s tough to answer one-off questions without bringing in a collection of related concerns and theories.

Fully agree! There is so many known and not known details behind audio. Some of them can be justified clearly with measurements. Some (currently) not. Open mind and experimental approach can bring “success”.

1 Like

If you have big voltage swings or highly sensitive equipment, a regenerator would seem to be the obvious solution. If the issue is high frequency noise then a conditioner may be better. Some, including the one I use, is specified ultra low impedance. The better conditioners include cross contamination protection - noise being sent back into the regenerator and affecting other components. In the UK we have regenerators that have only one output, or two isolated outputs, so there’s no cross contamination. I have extremely stable voltage and my audio on the same ring main as the kitchen, so I get great results with a good conditioner. There are UK manufactured units that both filter and regenerate. Or just buy hifi with external power supplies or internal power filtering and plug in the wall.

So the best thing to do is get a good electrician to check the quality and rating of your power supply and that there is a good earth. Diagnosis and cure, rather than popping pills in hope.

So I got the 20 amp circuit installed yesterday. I’m very impressed with the results sonically. There definitely was a reduction in the audible noise. The best I can put it, is that everything sounds significantly clearer. The really strange thing is that the soundstage appeared to have widened. What’s even more surprising is that all of the results I’m reporting are with the use of a P15. It’s confusing I’m hearing such a difference given my system received clean and regulated, regenerated power from my power plant. Someone else mentioned that the power plants aren’t the best mitigating high frequency noise, so maybe it’s a result of this why everything sounds better. To make a long story short I’m very happy with the results of adding a dedicated circuit.

3 Likes

Congratulations! Happy listening and stay well.