Am I just wasting $$$ on biwire speaker cable?

If you are bi-wiring, you need to remove the metal plates in between the LF and HF. You can leave them when using a single full range cable.

2 Likes

I have a black 230V GCD which I used from December 2018 till December 2019. It was succeeded by BHK Pre and Direct Steam DAC. Warranty is good until 17 December 2021. It is in mint condition, and packed in the original double boxes with original remote control and power cords. Happy to sell for US$900 + shipping

Hi again. You must remove the thin copper plate that is between the connectors. There are some great videos on YouTube showing this. Especially from a dealer outfit in NZ.

The vid goes over bi amping and bi wiring. They show an example similar to what you will be doing.

1 Like

I have the Nordost Norse series Bi-wire jumpers: Nordost - Norse Series Bi-Wire Jumpers (4Pk) | Shop Music Direct

Compared to the supplied jumpers for my speakers, I find the Nordost jumpers to smooth out the sound in midrange and treble in my system. I have the speaker wire attached to the LF terminals. I tried with them on the HF terminals, but the sound was too bright. I also tried with the + speaker wire on the LF and the - speaker wire on the HF, and with the - wire on the LF and the + on the HF terminal. These configurations sounded more open, but I still felt the top end was more emphasized than I would like. So I stuck with them both on the LF.

Thank you
I do know to remove the factory copper jumper when doing bi-wire, just now iā€™m using the single wire connect to LF ports only, and the external supper tweeter connect to HF port to add some ā€œairā€ to the sound

hi @George_P
i see you are using the B&W 704 S2 , have you got any idea on the sounf of this pair over the MA gold 200 ?

Sorry, I havenā€™t heard those.

The 704 S2s need a lot of power to shine, though. At least 100watts into 8 ohms.

Darren Myers, the designer of the M700 says ā€œMy top recommendation for a large monitor is the Harbeth HL5 Plus Monitorā€ A pair of Harbeth HL5 Plus XD sell for about $5,600

Robert Deutsch, reviewed the M700 in Stereophile using Monitor Audio Platinum PL300 mark II and gave them an A recommendation. The PL300 MK II sell for about $10,800

I did not know about the Harbeth before buying my Dynaudio Contour 20, otherwise, I would have bought the Harbeth because they cost the same. I like the Contours though.

1 Like

They are all out of reach because my limit budget , the bookselves speakers are my choice since i just have a 4m x 6m living room for the system.

However i love the sound of Monitor Audio since i often listen to Accoustic music and MA suites my taste

personally, I recommend you do your upgrades one at a time. So, get the M700 and the speaker cables, let them break in, enjoy them with the Silver 200s, you may like the sound so well, you stop thinking about others.

1 Like

thatā€™s true, my 1st step is now having them M700s with speaker cables + current MA silver 100 , then get the GCD later because the limit budget , after the GCD, then MA gold 200 will be in the list of late 2021 :slight_smile:

2 Likes