Am I just wasting $$$ on biwire speaker cable?

Gary and I joke about on the subject of cables. I wasn’t being nasty. When read on a screen it could be interpreted as such.

1 Like

i still dont understand, if the bi-wire cable on speaker terminal feed by single amp then it is just the same wiring as you use the jumper on speaker terminal, it just the serial connection, not parallel connection to bi-amp. on some video on YT i see the terminal speaker ports (4 ports) on M700 are sharing the same circuitry. So it will not be any differences on sound no matter what single or double cables you do for bi-wiring
I’m wrong something ?

The ambiguity of no facial and vocal feedback. The bane of online communication.

Be well,
Joe

2 Likes

Exactly… :+1:

And the same to you.

A better way to bi-wire.

1 Like

For me, the answer was yes, it was a waste. I have Iconoclast cables and demo’d an additional set. I realized more improvement by connecting both circuits internally to a better set of binding posts eliminating the jumper completely.

3 Likes

Go here for some bi-wire comments from Vandersteen who bi-wire ALL of their speakers.
Vandersteen Audio High End Speakers | Vandersteen Audio.

• bi wire reduces the number of voltages at different frequencies that are “added” through superposition at any instant in time that is sent to your speaker terminal(s). When several frequencies are added, there can be BEAT frequencies, or new frequencies made by adding specific original frequencies. This is called Inter-Modulation, or IM, distortion.
    If we separate the bass section from the treble, we combine fewer frequencies and lower IM distortion.

• bi-wire also separates the current heavy bass section from the far less current current intense mid and upper frequencies. This reduces the modulation of the signals from what is called the HALL effect. The Hall Effect says that current flowing in one direction perpendicular to a magnetic field can produce a voltage at right angles to the current path. This is a “new” signal that wasn’t there before.

• similarly, the woofer has LOT of back EMF shoved down to the amp through the cable. Using Bi-wire better separates this “junk” from the mid treble signals.

To bi-wire you need TWO separate leads going from your amp, but parallel attached at the amp terminals. Keep the leads apart to reduce the Hall Effect. The magnetic field collapses with the square of the distance so space is good. Two to three inches should do it. I use plastic spark plug wire spacers on my set!

Can you hear these three things; IM distortion reduction, Hall Effect mitigation and back EMF separation? They can be measure for sure but like all things we need to compare that to what our ears measure, too.

For single wire some will suggest to use the TWEETER terminals when the supplied JUMPERS are used as the negative effect of the possibly poor quality jumpers is less apparent in the bass than the treble. Send the bass signal through the jumper. Even with good jumpers, mid/tweeter first seems to be the starting point. Technically they are the same “post” electrically.

Best,
Galen Gareis

5 Likes

It’s worth checking your terminals to see if they’re truly biwire posts with a continuity tester. I had a speaker with two sets of posts that were jumped internally… No. Idea. Why.

you mean to check the biwire posts by open it from the back and looking into separated crossovers for high and low frequencies ?
Mine is Monitor Audio Silver 100 with 86db at 8Ohm - 120w RMS

Use one of these to test continuity.

so checking the output voltage on low and high post to see any diferrencies then we know it biwire or single wire ? is that just simple ?

Hi. I believe in bi-wiring but why not buy one single and one for bi? But only if you can return the one you don’t like. My opinion is after a week or so if you have to squint real hard to hear a difference it is not worth it. But for me, every time I do comparisons I can hear a difference straight away. Have fun!

Unlike you guys in US /EURO where 14 days returning apply, i don’t have that trial, i have to order from Amazon, some other website in UK then have it shipped via TNT, Fedex, EMS, … any international shiper, So have to decide which one i buy and accept the risk of not compatitibility at very first place .
but for the AQ Rocket 33 , it is biwired with 4 cores with 4 bananas at two ends , i believe that is true biwire cable than single -> biwire, i heard the M700 allows biwire at terminal post then it no ham if we can use the biwire into single wire if need, just use the tape to eliminate the unused wires for not contacting or short circuited

You made a good choice and you will never regret the purchase. Give those cables time to burn in and you will love them. Please bear in mind with audio, the sky is the limit. You could spend a million on a system and still get opinions that it is not good enough. Rocket series come with decent insulation / isolation, and the 33 is designed for single bi-wire, and I assure you, you got excellent value for the money.

I am sure it will be great. Truly I don’t think you will be wasting your money and I think you will be very happy. I currently am breaking in some m700’s. And I will have to decide if they better than my current s300. Everyone says they are way better. But I must decide for myself. I do not envy not having ability to return.

1 Like

It could have just been a rare situation in my case, but the downside is if you’re running two separate runs to supposed biwire binding posts that are already jumped internally, the two cables may interact poorly and cancel/reinforce frequencies.

I learned this after one wire accidentally disconnected while I was moving stuff and sound was slightly different on the one side despite all the speakers seemingly working fine. Turns out I was running in a diminished state for a while because I assumed they were biwire posts for low/high and the cables ended up interfering with each other.

You make me confident in my purchase.
I just push the Stellar GCD to top of todo list, the Monitor Gold 100 become second
Logically it will become useless if we don’t have the decent loundspeaker to match the system, spending lot of $$$ into to DAC, apmlifier … processing device make no sense at all if speakers suck .

That seems strange. I have JBL Studio 590’s (which most people run down but I like them) and the binding posts are separated for the tweeter and the woofers. I really have had good luck with bi wiring.

Why it is jumped internally? , i see most of “biwire” or like usually do external jumped by the jumper and allow you to take it out if need for bi wiring

just to ask, my Monitor audio silver 100 have two set of binding post one for high, one for low, so they are definitely bi-wire capable right ?
see the picture