Any Chord fans out there? TT2?

There may be an issue with your specific unit, the BNC connectors on mine are firmly in place :thinking:
I do not use the stock BNC cables but my digital cables are pretty basic. I plan to eventually upgrade to these.

Thanks. Reviewing the TT2 and scaler now. Interesting concept pairing with the Sr.

Thank you for the suggestions…

So I’m getting replacement cables. Also a power supply cable as a mere touch on that initiates a reset. I love the sound but seem to be having minor technical issues. Hopefully gets resolved asap.

However I do have a question. Originally when setting up the Scaler, I had the input setting on purple or the last color which was indicated as “dual BNC”. I got nothing. However when I switched to “BNC 1” I got sound. Also the readout on the the TT2 showed “DBNC” and “705” so I think I’m good.

I have tried the Dual BNC setting since and sometimes I get sound or maybe not. BNC1 always works and the readouts on the TT2 of “DBNC” and “705” (I have it sent to highest upscale rate) seems to indicate all is fine with either as its the same readouts on BNC1 and Dual BNC. BNC1 being best as it just works 100% of the time.

What input do you use? Comments?

Thank you…

The DBNC 705 is displayed on the TT2 is what it is receiving from the MScaler. So you connected the MScaler dual bnc output to the the TT2 dual bnc input.
What you are selecting on the Mscaler however, as you mentioned, is the MScaler input connection. The manual is confusing but you can get a 705 signal from a single BNC input source as long as you connect to the TT2 with dual bnc.
What is your source and how is it connected to the Mscaler?

PC to USB input on Matrix

Coax out from Matrix to Coax/BNC in on M Scaler.

Dual BNC out ( 1 & 2) on Mscaler to TT2.

XLR out of TT2 to amp.

No other inputs to m scaler at this time.

BTW. The Matrix connects to the m scaler via BNC 1. So perhaps that is the obvious choice and “auto” is not really needed…?

Auto is supposed to detect the incoming signal but it may not be able to do it from the Matrix. I will test the Auto with my SU6 later tonight and report back. Unfortunately, I do not have a Matrix anymore to test that way.

EDIT1: BNC1 is the correct source in your setup, not dual bnc as you only have one bnc input into the Mscaler.
EDIT2: By the way, you may just want to do USB from the PC (install the Chord driver if Windows) directly to the MScaler (skipping the Matrix), as the USB input on the Mscaler is galvanically isolated and it also supports higher input resolutions than BNC/Coax.

1 Like

Yep. I did not really imagine a dual bnc input unless from two different sources.

Your right, it is confusing as on manuals I see “automatic” and “Dual BNC Auto”.

Does not make sense but if BNC 1 gets me to DBMC 705 then I guess I’m fine. Dual auto the last choice seems to work once in a while as well.

By the way, you may just want to do USB from the PC (install the Chord driver if Windows) directly to the MScaler (skipping the Matrix), as the USB input on the Mscaler is galvanically isolated and it also supports higher input resolutions than BNC/Coax.

I may want to try that once I get my head around this. I get the isolation part. However it seems so far for streaming it comes in at 44 and out at 705. Not sure what USB will get me but worth seeing if there is an audible difference. In all previous various dac experiments, the better sound was with the Matrix.

However I’ll try some ultra HD stream files and some 24/192 local files and see if anything like input color changes. I think it did on 192. That’s all I got. No DSD at this point.

Also it just hit me I’m probably making this harder then it is. The color chart is for inputs. I don’t have dual bnc INPUTS like you said.

I was was confused regarding the dual BNC to the TT2. But those are OUTPUTS.

So BNC1 should work and depending on signal, “auto” should work. However at this point BNC1 is all that is connected. If I run a optical maybe auto makes sense.

1 Like

I have a Chord TT2 with the Mscaler, Auralic Aries G1 USB to Mscaler, Dual BNC to the TT2, and balanced out to my amp. Cables are all Audience Front Row. I’m very curious about how this might compare to the Direct stream MKII

2 Likes

@vkennedy61 is your man here.

1 Like

I listen to a TT2/M Scaler combo most every day in my office in a near field setup. I marvel at its ability to glue me to my chair at the end of the day to listen to just one more song.

I went back and forth with between a Sonore Signature Rendu and an opticalRendu alternating them feeding the MKII and the TT2/M using a BHK Pre to switch between them. The source was Roon. I also used a Kitsune KTE SU-2 DDC to convert USB to I²S to see if there was a difference. I personally don’t hear any difference between USB and I²S on the MKII. Others may, but I think the USB out of the Signature Rendu is quite good and may be why I don’t hear a difference.

MKII - Slightly wider image, really nice sweet midrange - Matches really well with a pair of Mullard CCA in the BHK Pre.
TT2/M Scaler - A little more relaxed, a bit more bass, a little more space around instruments.

Having heard both, would I feel the need to upgrade from the TT2/M Scaler? No. If you’ve had the TT2/M Scaler for long enough that you want a change…you have the itch, then yes. It’s enough of a change you’ll notice the difference.

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like