Thinking about going big. They are $17K. Did we ever get a price for the BHK 600’s.
Professional reviews and owners report that the Hegel H30 sounds best run in stereo mode compared to a pair run configured as mono amps.
My dealer, Audio Excellence has one that they are evaluating. I heard it briefly but can’t pass judgment based on a few minutes.
Absolutely amazing. Following are comments after using it in stereo mode with balanced inputs:
- Possibly the best bass in a under $20k amplifier
- Very smooth / liquid / sweet (tubelike ?) high end
- Ultra-precise imaging
- Holographic (as is expected at this price)
- Very powerful. Very high peak-current capability (320,000 micro farads!)
- Runs cooler than virtually any other amp out there
- High damping factor. Can ‘manhandle your woofers’ if you want
- Fantastic resolution. Can hear a lot of detail in the music
- Mid-range is only decent. There are amps in this price range (or lower) with better sounding mid-range (vocals).
It has been a while since I heard the H30, with Revel Ultimate Salon II speakers, and the above pretty much sums it up. One thought as I type this if you are interested in the Hegel, you may want to consider the Luxman M900u. I heard it with the Focal Sopra 2’s some time ago and thought the match was pretty good.
An update: the mid-range issue was with my network audio adapter. After changing it back to what I had used previously, I get glorious mid-range.
My preamp is the Hegel P30 (amazing) and the speakers are the Focal Scala Utopia (+ twin REL subs). DAC is the Holo May.