Any update to bridge-2?

Nothing announced publicly on trade-in, other than there will be one.

Elsewhere on the forum, Paul has said it would cost more than the current bridge, and a figure of around US$1000 has been suggested, which I understand is US$200 more than current pricing.

I’m with you timequest, July is not far away. I’m also very glad that PS Audio is finishing the project, having started it. I think the Bridge has a digital lens in it, essential a sufficiently large digital buffer to render jitter invariant to source (i guess the implication is that jitter within the system cannot be eliminated).

If the Bridge I & II & PS Audio iOS software had all been super smooth sailing, then I’m reasonably confident those complaining would suggest it was easy and therefore should be cheaper / Raspberry Pi prices. (I bought a Raspberry Pi btw, hopefully it gets a musical gig sometime).

I think elsewhere it has been written that PSA recognises that software isn’t its’ strong point, and has discontinued development of new software. Hence the enthusiasm for things like Roon.

PSA have some critical and rare ingredients. The DAC; BHK Hybrid Amplification of Analog signals; the Digital Lens (eliminating the seriously ridiculous nature of producing an analog signal used by most Redbook CD players).

Looking forward to hearing about more judicious partnerships b/w PSA and eminent designers like Ted Smith, BHK, and someone who knows their Digital Stuff backwards. Who knows there might be a Class D devialet style version of the BHK, in addition to the Fridge Sized Super-Tubed version.

As Paul recently wrote, there are not many of these companies that have the secret recipes for producing great sound. All the things people are complaining about, PSA will obtain in the marketplace as commodities before too long. Only Devlialet’s SAM looks like it might be locked up by IP, Devialet originally touted a small number of patents. As BHK mentioned in his video, the mixed Class A / Class other hybrid amplification has been around for, literally, decades.

Bring on the bridge II - awesome - anything better than can be an additional upgrade, and the separate nature of the Bridge II means we can sell it & get some money back.

EldRick said device drivers that would make the DAC look like a local device to a PC or Mac, and thus support any application that can play through the speakers.
PSA put a lot of money and effort into a sort of virtual soundcard that sounds like what you are describing; unfortunately, that turned out to be very difficult and did not work out. A new hardware version of the Bridge was required to solve the gapless issue, among other things. B2 has been in development for a while, long before Roon or (I think) even even Tidal was an option. I'm sure we will see improved streaming options for the DS in the future, but now with B2 we have a great-sounding option for those who like an ethernet/UPnP setup -- which, BTW, is still being supported by many new products (Sony, Auralic, etc.).

I’m a beta tester for BII, using Linn Kazoo with Bubble UPnPServer to access MinimServer and my library. First off, the SQ is outstanding and next to no issues in the way of freezes, reboots, etc. The other big bang for my buck with this setup I play Tidal through the BII. This can also be accomplished with the BI, but with the stability of BII, Tidal access is a nice fit.

EldRick said . . . better software support, rather than more costly hardware; specifically, device drivers that would make the DAC look like a local device to a PC or Mac . . .
Is this not in essence what USB and the USB driver does? I do not have a Bridge and do not use the USB capability regularly, but I have experimented with it and it is easy to play music residing on my laptop through the DS using any software player I would like.

The other common topology is for a standalone player to be networked only for control purposes and transferring files, but the player sends data to the DAC via USB or S/PDIF.

Ben, you don’t have to wait for B2 to stream DSD. Bridge 1 handles single rate DSD just fine as long as the software packages it as DoP (which looks like 176/24 PCM to the Bridge). JRiver will do this once you check the bitstreaming box.

stevem2 said Ben, you don't have to wait for B2 to stream DSD. Bridge 1 handles single rate DSD just fine as long as the software packages it as DoP (which looks like 176/24 PCM to the Bridge). JRiver will do this once you check the bitstreaming box.
Oh nice. I was thinking the only option until Bridge2 was USB. So, if I download a single rate DSD file from someplace like 'Blue Coast' I need to 'convert' that DSD file to DoP....and JRiver will handle that conversion? Can you refresh my memory (or point me to the right place) on where the "bitstreaming box " is. I assume, 'tools' > 'options' > 'media network' ......but, then where?

Put me down for the BridgeII…I’m ready

timequest said

So, if I download a single rate DSD file from someplace like ‘Blue Coast’ I need to ‘convert’ that DSD file to DoP…and JRiver will handle that conversion?

Just in case, MinimServer can do that too: User guide

Also, to be clear - I wouldn’t call DSD via DoP converting - so much as it’s packaging the DSD in a DoP container. Your files come out at the other end exactly as they were before packaging.

Foobar will also package DSD as DoP, but it takes a bit to setup. And it is free.

And holograms of the musicians performing each piece!

Frode said Next gen. PS Audio DAC will have gesture control and voice activation

If I recall correctly (I’m at work), for JRMC it’s under “add or configure DLNA servers” and then under “advanced,” which may appear to be under “video”. It’s one of the top two boxes (something like “permit bitstreaming”). JRMC will then handle it automatically (as noted, it’s really a question of packaging rather than conversion, it won’t affect the underlying files). If given the choice you’ll generally want DSF files rather than DFF as the former allow meta data tagging and the latter does not. Just add them to your library like PCM files, check the bitstreaming box, and you should be good to go.

The above is for JRMC 20. If you’re using 19, there’s a How To here: http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-setup-jriver-19-for-dsd-playback/

I wouldn’t swear I’m not missing any steps as it’s been a while since I set mine up (and I mostly use a Mac, although I have JRMC 20 on a PC too).

@EldRick: we do understand (at least I do) your frustrations (and I agree with them). But for the last five years we’ve been through all of that many times here (check the old threads and Elk’s mentioning the dead horse), so most likely you will not get many active supporters laughAt least I will not repeat myself for the 4th-5th-6th time. We can only hope for the best.

To make it short, BubbleUPnP and Simon with his platform independent MinimServer saved the Bridge.

Been using Bridge I for years now. Took a while to get all the issues resolved; however, it’s been absolutely solid!! 1xDSD, 24/192…very, very rarely a problem. Any problems are 99.9% of the time solved by rebooting the uPnP server (type DS IP into browser). Big fan of JRiver/JRemote. The only item lacking in Bridge I, for me, is gapless. Having professed my love for Bridge I: bring on Bridge II! Can’t wait…and it sounds better??

amsco15 said The only item lacking in Bridge I, for me, is lossless.
Do you mean gapless?
Alekz said
amsco15 said The only item lacking in Bridge I, for me, is lossless.

Do you mean gapless?

Yup - fixed.

amsco15 said
Been using Bridge I for years now. Took a while to get all the issues resolved; however, it’s been absolutely solid!! 1xDSD, 24/192…very, very rarely a problem. Any problems are 99.9% of the time solved by rebooting the uPnP server (type DS IP into browser). Big fan of JRiver/JRemote. The only item lacking in Bridge I, for me, is gapless. Having professed my love for Bridge I: bring on Bridge II! Can’t wait…and it sounds better??

You mention your Bridge I is absolutely solid at 24/192. That’s an issue with my Bridge I. I get hiccups when playing 24/192. All other resolutions work fine, and all my files are FLAC.

To check for network problems, I used a cross wire Ethernet cable to connect the port on my laptop directly to the Bridge. I used JRiver MC software to send the files to the Bridge, and the hiccups were still there. I even visited PS Audio and tried the same set up on one of their DACs with the Bridge and got the same results. This testing was about a year ago, and the Bridge had the latest firmware installed at that time.

I wish I could help. I’m a hunt and peck network troubleshooter. My audio equipment (DS, laptop-server) are hard-wired (older Cat5) to an older 100mhz switch. My server is in a second floor bedroom (6 year old Dell Laptop running Win 7), the switch/router are in the basement and the DS in the first floor family room. All tied together with an AirPort Extreme router. All audio associated devices have fixed IPs. I have lots of 24/192 albums and play them mixed up with all my other music. It does take a few more moments for the 24/192 files to play compared to red book, but it all works flawlessly: honest.

I believe changing my router to an Airport Express solved my dropouts, I too have no issues with 192/24 but did before even with RB. I have my switch and AE in my media room and NAS in a nearby hallway, all hardwired except controlled via iPad.

Second the AirPort (mine being the Extreme) observation!

Hello Paul,

thanks for the insight.

I´m wondering why you would undertake the effort of developing an own streaming module aka Bridge instead of looking for an OEM module which alreday exists http://www.streamunlimited.com/products/stream700/ and seems to be working fine with other companies such as Musical Fidelity and Pro-ject Audio.
Streamunlimited also develops custom solutions where special features/specs are needed.

I can perfectly understand that this is a major financial effort for a relatively small company such as PSA with the main field of expertise in the development of DACs.

Cheers
Kai