Are high end USB filtering/reclocking devices in fact based off stock hub chips?

With the LanRover now being no longer functional,
I was wondering if devices such as RUR/Regen/Iusb/MR/SOTM, ETC. All actually are based off an off the shelf USB hub chip? Wouldn’t a quality USB hub with a ‘B’ type input and a LPS with the +5V cut achieve the same thing? I understand these other devices have better components through out however, so you put an AQ Jitterbug ahead stream then. That should take care of the clock signal as well and is also where you can lift the +5V then. I have had great results and tell no difference to the other options. That should do the trick? Isn’t that actually exactly what Ted Smith uses? I do not mean to speak for him, so if you see this Ted please do not hesitate to clarify. It has been working fine for me nonetheless and I hear no difference. I also run a separate PCI/USB card on the same LPS driving the hub. The LPS is by far the most expensive part of it and I feel it is what is key here. The rest is mostly the same thing? I apologize if this has already been addressed here. Thank you

Tho the hub function can enable some USB cleanup, some devices also attempt galvanic isolation or other independent cleanups.

Actually, none of the devices I mentioned above feature galvanic isolation at all. That is exactly why I was wondering about this. It should in fact be the same setup that I have deployed here. Just not some fancy Audiophile stuff. Instead IT hardware. Galvanic isolation would indeed be a different story. As of now supposedly only one such device exists which is the IFI Igalvanic. However that is to complement the IUSB 3.0 not in replacement of it. At least according to IFI themselves. Unfortunately the Icron stuff(LanRover) does not function with Windows 10 as of a long since update. That did most certainly provide real galvanic isolation. Others claim so but it is questionable as to their methods. Optocouplers and such. I was under the impression that you were using a hub for this purpose as well? I have actually gone several steps further than that. It sounds absolutely fine to me. On a highly revealing system. I was under the impression that the above mentioned “Audiophile” devices are simply high spec hubs? Better caps, resistors ETC. I have pretty much implemented the same thing here. Not to save money by any means. It is just more flexible for me. Allowing me direct playback storage to the DSS where the others do not.

Until I got the Matrix I used a hub, there are plenty of galvonically isolated USB devices, but until recently they were based on a chip that could only do 24/96. I don’t have any direct experience with the current USB 3.0 isolation devices, they are expensive even before being “audiophiled”

What is the Matrix? Also, could you give me an example of one of these Audiophile USB 3.0 galvanic isolation devices(brand) please? I am aware of but none of them. Thank you

I see. It is SPDIF 2 USB. I cannot make use of that as my CD transport is in the SPDIF of the DSS and my TV is in the Toslink. am however interested in any galvanic isolation you know of for USB other than the IFI device?

The Matrix X-S/PDIF 2 also supports AES (the XLR connection) and an I2S connection compatible with the DS and DS Jr.

Here’s the big brother of the Lanrover:
http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/fiber/icron-usb-3-2-1-raven-3124/

I will get the Matrix if you think it is better than my current setup? Since the Raven is 3x the price of the Matrix. Plus the Matrix is Audiophile gear, the Raven is just more IT gear.

I’ve been very pleased with the Matrix X-S/PDIF 2. It’s well built and well deigned. There’s a thread with many, many posts about it. I’m sure that if it doesn’t do anything you like you’ll be able to resell it.

1 Like

Thank you Ted. As always you are awesome! It is not everyday we get to talk to someone like you! I really appreciate this. I am ordering it right now.