Arnie Nudell speaks

Arnie Nudell, the founder of Infinity Systems in LA, one of the best known and talented loudspeaker designers of all time, shares his story of music, his friendship with Bascom and his thoughts on the new BHK Signature amplifier. A rare treat from a great storyteller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6mvhO8fVPs

Very enjoyable. Looking forward to hearing Bascom. Looking forward even more to getting hold of one of these babies.

It was great hearing him speak about his room and the process. Steve, I found I get the amp first you are welcome uptown to hear it.

And you’re welcome to come to Queens to hear mine if I get it first. Or we could all go to Gordon’s place (Montreal?) as he’ll probably get it before the rest of us. 4_gif

Steve, you’re in Queens? I’m right outside of Philly in Jersey! I go to visit my audio buddy in Nassau County at least a few times a year.

Yep. Forest Hills. You probably drive to your friend’s place but if you took the train you would probably go right by my house. If you’re old enough (like me) to remember when the US Tennis Open was played there, I’m a few blocks down the street from the stadium (where they have now started having concerts again; next up for me is The Who in May). We’re not exactly neighbors but not that far either.

Really enjoying these videos, and I loved Paul’s interjections to correct Arnie’s storytelling! Can’t wait to see Bascom’s video.

I guess what I am waiting for is a comment on how well the PS Audio one performed up against the Constellation one. I guess this answer might easily turn into a political issue/conflict of interest if Bascom comment on it, but I guess Arnie could express his opinions freely?

stevem2 said ...If you're old enough (like me) to remember when the US Tennis Open was played there...
I used to live in Nassau County for quite a few years. Been to the US Open at that old location more than once.
Frode said I guess what I am waiting for is a comment on how well the PS Audio one performed up against the Constellation one. I guess this answer might easily turn into a political issue/conflict of interest if Bascom comment on it, but I guess Arnie could express his opinions freely?
I found a quote from Bascom in post #12 of this thread that directly addresses your question:

“… So to the BHK Signature 250 amp, I was inspired by my good friend and associate, Arnold Nudell to design a power amp with this differential tube input stage followed by an all MOSFET output amplifier and that is largely what the BHK Signature 250 amp is. To answer another person indirectly on this forum who asked what other good amps have I heard that this one sounds like, I honestly have to say that no other that I have had in my own system has sounded this good or like it. The production prototype truly sounds outstanding and I am sure that anyone that buys one is going to mighty happy with it!”

One has to assume that he has previously heard the Constellation amp in his system!

Hope that you find this helpful, Frode.

Thanks Bill,

It was indeed helpful, but I am not fully convinced whether this was a deliberate statement in disguise or not ;)

Frode said I guess what I am waiting for is a comment on how well the PS Audio one performed up against the Constellation one. I guess this answer might easily turn into a political issue/conflict of interest if Bascom comment on it, but I guess Arnie could express his opinions freely?
He and Bascom did, and freely expressed them to the group, but I cut them from the videos. They were quite vocal about it, each keeping their copy of the BHK and not letting it go. However, I felt it inappropriate for them to say something like that in public and played mama hen with it. I don't think Constellation Audio deserves that in a public forum.

I will change my speaker crossover to outboard version in July, however I am a bit hesitant to use the stereo version of the PS amp for my woofers. I might have to consider the mono version to have 1KVA per channel (transformer) at my disposal.

stevem2 said And you're welcome to come to Queens to hear mine if I get it first. Or we could all go to Gordon's place (Montreal?) as he'll probably get it before the rest of us.
You are all more than welcome, as always.

Although I did get to play with it for a couple of days [sounds much better after we installed the tubes] I am still biting my nails and waiting.

@Frode: are you considering a line level crossover, then? Which one, or have you decided yet?

wglenn, it is a custom design: SoulSonic Impulse XO