Best test CD

Understood. I think he meant something else.

Yeah, on second read, I think YouTube is just serving as a source of “inspiration”.

Lyle Lovett, “Joshua Judges Ruth”.

Lots of dynamics, quiet passages, fantastic vocals (men and women in a variety of ranges), horns and plenty of acoustical instruments - makes for a great mix and test of your system’s chops, IMO.

Check out “Since the Last Time” and “Church”, first and second.

1 Like

I think he finds music he likes on YouTube and then looks for those tracks in Qobuz, where he assembles them into a playlist.

Thanks. That is what I came to realize after my inquiry. Duh!

:man_facepalming:

Thanks Craig, this is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue
Alpine (80’s car stereo demo) - Speed of Sound *because Ive been using it for over 30 years

Cafe Blue is certainly a great sounding album. However, a few years ago they released an ‘unmastered’ version. It’s fascinating to compare the mastered versus unmastered versions. I much prefer the mastered versions (but some people like the unmastered version).

1 Like

I should’ve mentioned that’s the version I’m using as it’s the only widely available version in SACD that I could find. I really like it.

1 Like

The original mastered version fetches lots of money (at least here in the uk). If you play vinyl you can by the record(s) of the mastered release.

1 Like

“Easy Money” by Rickie Lee Jones. My go to reference track. If a fly lands on my arm, queue it up. If it sounds better, hire a fly.

1 Like

The typical audiophile test tracks are never to my taste (I’d be a nightmare at a hi-fi show) so I tend to use stuff I’ve listened to for ages that I believe to be well recorded. PJ Harvey’s Rid of Me and Pixies Surfer Rosa are favourites that seem to make the grade and by strange coincidence are next to each other on the artist index. When adjusting or moving the subs I often use The Prodigy’s Fat of the Land. Have I become obsessed with artists beginning with P?

3 Likes

Probably

2 Likes

I do that, too. I have a raft of selections from so many different sources that are outside the mainstream test tracks that I put them together on 4 or 5 of my own “test CDs.”

1 Like

On a related note, now that streaming has become a bigger thing in audiophile circles I’m wondering if it will ever be possible to attend a show and ask the person in charge at the source end to spin, just by way of example, “Six Pack by Black Flag please mate” through the house priced system. I don’t think it’ll ever happen but, if it does even as a man approaching 50 with 2 prosthetic legs I’ll be starting the mosh pit.

2 Likes

When I attended the Indianapolis edition of Wendell Adams’ Magnepan 30.7 road show in 2019, I was surprised that there wasn’t a disc spinner or turntable in sight, just an iPad. Maybe that shouldn’t have shocked me, but at that point, I’d never streamed a thing in my life. I was so new to the idea that I didn’t even know to look for what kind of streamer they were using, or to ask whether the files were being pulled from a local server, or from a content provider. Within 6 months of hearing that demonstration, and after hearing my brother’s Maggie 20.7-based system streaming Qobuz, I got a Node 2i and my listening world changed pretty radically.

2 Likes

A massive health issue caused a huge lifestyle change for me 3 years ago. Stuck at home I started listening lots more and decided I would take the streaming plunge. Also ended up with the Node 2i and also landed on Qobuz after testing out a few services with their free trials. I now listen to a lot of stuff I simply wouldn’t have considered before but sometimes just sit with my phone in my hand with option paralysis.

7 Likes

This is me as well minus the health scare. Sorry to hear that and hope your are much better today.

1 Like

Right there with you on that!

Dude. Let’s make this happen.