Best test CD

which ones?

For what purpose specifically?

It has no specific purpose,
Usher, nordost, B&W etc test cds

I guess my point is that any of them are likely to be pretty interchangeable if they’re from reputable sources, unless you’re looking for one that has either specific intent (like highlighting subwoofer performance), or that features specific tools (like one that’s strictly frequency sweeps and noise). You’re probably not going to get a consensus as to which one is “best.”

Dave Weckl, Steve Smith, Tom Kennedy, Steve Gadd. They very good recordings, near “reference” SQ.

I reveal my secret purpose:
Such CDs contain carefully selected recordings. I opened a topic so that we can share, see together and be aware of what we are not aware of.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

https://referencerecordings.com/recording/xlo-test-burn-in-cd/

1 Like

I really enjoy music from the “Analog Audio Hiend” YouTube channel. I create custom Qobuz playlists from the songs I like. Clicking on “SHOW MORE” gives details of each song.

You also get the bonus of seeing some amazing stereo systems!

1 Like

My favourite test CD had a big grand piano chord, sustained. a minute long.
Perfect for hearing quantisation noise and other such low level nasties.

(early 16 bit samplers (e.g. akai S1000) had no oversampling etc. so the distortion as the level dropped was very evident. Still a great device, mind!)

Edit - I can’t recall where it came from, so if anyone is aware of something similar lmk please :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Although not a official test CD, this is one I always nervous to play (thus one of my test CD). It will shine if system is in great shape.

3 Likes

Recent collection, the sound quality (and music) are so good and they will become my test CDs.

2 Likes

I just bought this one. Don’t think there’s many left. Ripped it as FLAC and DSF. Comes in very handy.

2 Likes

Two favorites of mine.

4 Likes

I use the old Menuhin ‘Instruments of the Orchestra’ album. All the instruments should sound completely realistic, and there is plenty of spoken voice which is an excellent test of the midrange.

orchestra_menuhin

orchestra_menuhin_back

1 Like

Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Dishwalla - Opaline

How you you transfer YouTube AV files to Qobuz audio files for future listening?

I had no idea Qobuz could “do” this.

Thanks in advance.

You cannot upload your music to Qobuz.

I understand that to be the case.

I was responding to this from @Kim_Howard (looking for clarification):

“I really enjoy music from the “Analog Audio Hiend” YouTube channel. I create custom Qobuz playlists from the songs I like. Clicking on “SHOW MORE” gives details of each song.”