Beta Test Impressions for New Stellar Phono Preamp!

Thanks @DarrenMyers . I will need to let that sink in… but it’s reassuring to know you and team have thought about this and decided to stick to the lower capacitance.

If we were to try to increase capacitance, just because, out of curiosity, but without using cable, since the cable is fixed on the Rega, do you know other methods?

Finally, also out of curiosity, did you tested with Rega carts during SPP development?

Having owned Rega carts and TT’s, I would gently suggest trying another brand, like those mentioned ; )

Haha … Suggestion noted :slight_smile:

Longer time ago I had a vdH Grasshopper III cartridge that had a too steep and strong increasing top end (from the point most MC‘s have this, I guess from 10-12kHz up). The vdH a bit more than others and at least with the Gryphon Orestes at the time it was too much. I then used capacitors at the phono termination to tame this (which is a bad thing as it means phase shifts afaik etc.). But I had to make a compromise. I don’t remember the values, if it was something around 1400-1600pF…at least it needed quite high values…when there, every small change has big implications to top end frequency damping.

So I’d say unless you don’t have a problem with your cartridge at the top‘est end of the frequency spectrum, forget it and be lucky capacity is as low as possible, as this means a more open top end.

Please count this as a practical description without technical knowledge.

Edit: I should add that the capacity value I had to deal with, which really influences audible top end, was clearly higher than what’s used in any phono stage or the affect of a high capacity cable. Just the Manley Steelhead to my knowledge offers selectable capacity up to 1100pF.

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. It’s a great review we’re very proud of!

Congrats to PS Audio… A stellar stellar phono preamp :slight_smile: … Proud owner of one here… missing it as I’m waiting for my Rega Planar 10 to come…no vinyl for me until next week.

2 Likes

Personally, I can’t imagine anyone not loving the SPP. Last night, I was so drawn in and mesmerized by the music, I stayed up later than I should have (It’s your fault, Darren!). Even old stuff like the Link Wray “The Swan Singles 1963-1967” was enthralling. And Eva Cassidy?? Pure musical ecstasy!! IMHO, the review, as great as it was, was an understatement!!

You will be rediscovering your vinyl collection in a totally different light. Even on often played albums, I always get a “Dang, I never heard that before!”, using my VPI Prime Signature w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. As much as I loved my Nuwave Phono Converter, the SPP is an even better value.

It’s great to see so many people experiencing a huge quality step up with a moderate price step up.

I guess many stepped up from a 500-1000$ phono stage or even one in a higher range to the 2.5k SPP and now hear a sound quality that before was only known to those having spent 10-20k.

So will 2021 be the year for a PSA cartridge/arm/turntable …as people have/want to get that step up around the SPP for a moderate price now, too? :wink:

The “bottom line”:

I recommend a listen to the Stellar to anyone in the market for a new phono preamp, regardless of price. I don’t think I’ve ever written that. before Like darTZeel’s clever engineer Hervé Delétraz, Myers designs using a deft combination of technical knowhow and careful listening, more interested in the sonic outcome than in getting the absolute best measured performance. In my view, that’s a winning approach.

High praise indeed. Congratulations Darren and PSA.

Stellar Listening Furniture Line (sorry - no leather) ; )

Ted Smith Signature Car Stereo. But you need two cars, as the analog and digital stuff has to be in a separate chassis. Air Gap capability will necessarily be lengthened to work over distances of around a mile, to begin with. ; )

1 Like

That’s where Ted’s “special” fiber optic cable will help.

I guess we also have to wait a bit for a PSA 80dB vinyl cutting (was previously done for the „friends of Carlotta“ album afaik) or serious cabling…but if the goal is to provide the whole deal from media to hearing aids…

Even more as in my perception (reading between the lines of other reviews) Fremer isn’t famous to be a fan of PSA hyperbole…probably rather of Leebs-cynism or Darren-grounding…but at the end simply good work done :wink:

Thanks. It’s not often we get such high praise from a reviewer, and never Michael Fremer. We were honored. Though, I must say, this one really does deserve that praise. It’s remarkable.

2 Likes

Got my Planar 10… some cosmetic issues that I hope Rega will take care of for me… other than that, I think it sounding wonderful with the SPP. Comparing to the Planar 6, lots of air, sparkle treble, and sweetness in the vocal, wonderful bass definition, really enjoying the turntable, looking forward to breaking it in and get more of the goodness out.

6 Likes

Nice stack of kit!

What is the gizmo under the 'table, two shelves down (with the handles), please?

Thanks. That’s the Behringer X32 Rack mixer. I use it for Karaoke :)… and to record needle drops.

1 Like

Your welcome.

Some boxes just look “yummy”. Doubt I have a need for one, but I feel like that woman in Napoleon Dynamite (if you know the “Tupperware” scene) sometimes; and I can’t help but think, “I want that”. :slightly_smiling_face: