Beta Tester’s Impressions of the New PerfectWave SACD Transport

I completely agree with my previous speakers. So I will give you a very brief description of my sound experience with my PST Beta.

To do the summary first: With any kind of music PST is on the one hand side more relaxed in presentation and on the other hand side much more involving, more coloured, more natural, very realistic with better dynamics and more room information: always precisely arranging the musicians in the room. The insight in music is much deeper compared with DMP.

Why “relaxed”? Well, listening to digital sources cause in my opinion normally more stress inside than listening to analogue tapes or records. Digital Playback is sometimes straining, aloof and with edges. PST is the first digital source I ever listened to, which does not create this digital stress, this lack in musical flow. The Music is just there at home. To quote a book title about the life of the famous conductor Günter Wand: “So und nicht anders” meaning: just that way and not elsewise.

I listened to vocals, choirs, orchestra, sarod and sitar music, mostly natural instruments such as lute, cembalo, viola da gamba and so on. For instance try listening to a trumpet via PST: very natural, very “open” with greater dynamics and more overtones. Or Voices: Very clear with perfect transients.

DMP was a very good digital source. PST is a very good musicplayer.

My listening sessions had been passed with PS Audio DSD using Nordost Valhalla 2 for HDMI contact, preamplified by Funk MTX Monitor and amplified by active Neumann KH 420 speakers.

Very great job done at PS Audio; thank you very much indeed Paul and Team!

4 Likes