Beta testing the new BHK Preamp

Streets Still Works said I'm assuming that if I want to measure tube hours I'll have to rig up a separate hour meter like I did with my BHK 250 to run when the trigger output is active, but is there really no way to use the on-board processor and display screen to display hours of operation on the front panel display using a remote button and some firmware that counts cycles while the tube is on and increments a counter once an hour? You already have the capability of storing the user-defined inputs in EEPROM or flash, so the data can be stored from one power cycle to the next. I just wonder if there's an accurate enough timebase in the microcontroller somewhere so that while the unit is operating it can just figure out a reasonably accurate "hour."

Or do I ask for too much?

–SSW

I’ll ask.

Paul McGowan said

I’ll ask.

Hey, anything I can do to make your products better by pushing the team to their limits and beyond, just let me know.

:slight_smile:

Paul McGowan said We do, yes. We have a fellow that moves all our trade ins - and he does a great job. If you'd like the name of his company, let me know.
Yes, please -- via PM?

It’s Josh Jackson at TMR Audio.

http://www.tmraudio.com/

Streets Still Works said Hey, anything I can do to make your products better by pushing the team to their limits and beyond, just let me know
:)

Measuring tube life is a great idea.

Elk said

:slight_smile:

Measuring tube life is a great idea.

See, Paul? I’m not the only one! If you guys remember, I made a timer using the trigger for the BHK amp:

01-BHK-Pre-Box.jpg02-BHK-Film-Cradle.jpg03-BHK-Inside-Cradle.jpg04-BHK-Cable-Remote.jpg05-BHK-Remote.jpg06-BHK-Pre-in-Wrap.jpg07-BHK-Manuel-in-Cradle.jpg08-BHK-Manuel-on-Pre.jpg09-BHK-Pre.jpg10-BHK-on-Rack-1.jpg11-BHK-ARC-SP-10-using-Phono-1.jpg12-BHK-Turned-on-1.jpg13-BHK-Fire-Breathing-Dragon-Inside-See-RED-FIRE-1.jpg

A few shots from opening to turning on the Fire Breathing Dragon inside the BHK Signature Preamp. The ARC SP-10 is used as Phono till BHK Phono comes out next year, I hope or sooner would be better. The last shot without flash shows the dragon fire better at the left rear corner.

All kidding aside. This is the best preamp I have owned and has fulfilled my hope that it is one of the best ever regardless of $. I have heard all the big guns over the last couple of years and while audio memory is fleeting, this is the real deal.

It just presents everything good about the music in RBCD’s. Dusty Springfield on Memphis Sound - “Son of a Preacher Man” at the proper level is really in the room. Her voice is something. The background is as black as coal and dead silent ( I will lose some of the silent using ARC phono). The bass is tight and full of detail of each note. Highs are “Crystal”. The mids are Dusty in your room and all your other small groups. Linda Ronstadt sounds great also. I listen to a lot of small groups playing mostly acoustical instruments and have much to look forward to in the coming days.

In my initial 3 hours of listening to RBCDs this evening after 5 hour warmup, the BHK has just made the SP-10 linestage section a true Vintage only piece and it sounded fabulous all the past years. I have not listened to phono yet. It will play all night and for next several days to get 200 or so hours on it as fast as the clock will go.

Tomorrow will get into large classical. The soundstage in my room is wall to wall beyond each speaker. I can’t wait to hear the soundfield of an orchestra presentation by the BHK. I expect outstanding. Time to break out the new Mercury CD sets.

What a day!

Thank you BHK, Paul, Arnie, Bob, Ted and all other staff. This piece and Torreys in the same week.

Dave

Fun unboxing pics. Great preliminary review.

Dave said Time to break out the new Mercury CD sets.
Did you get all three, including the set which just came out in March? I have one of the earlier sets and it is wonderful fun.
Paul McGowan said
Streets Still Works said I'm assuming that if I want to measure tube hours I'll have to rig up a separate hour meter like I did with my BHK 250 to run when the trigger output is active, but is there really no way to use the on-board processor and display screen to display hours of operation on the front panel display using a remote button and some firmware that counts cycles while the tube is on and increments a counter once an hour? You already have the capability of storing the user-defined inputs in EEPROM or flash, so the data can be stored from one power cycle to the next. I just wonder if there's an accurate enough timebase in the microcontroller somewhere so that while the unit is operating it can just figure out a reasonably accurate "hour."

Or do I ask for too much?

–SSW

I’ll ask.

There must also be a way to reset the hour counter when you replace the tubes.

Dave said

This is the best preamp I have owned and has fulfilled my hope that it is one of the best ever regardless of $. I have heard all the big guns over the last couple of years and while audio memory is fleeting, this is the real deal.

It just presents everything good about the music in RBCD’s. Dusty Springfield on Memphis Sound - “Son of a Preacher Man” at the proper level is really in the room. Her voice is something. The background is as black as coal and dead silent ( I will lose some of the silent using ARC phono). The bass is tight and full of detail of each note. Highs are “Crystal”. The mids are Dusty in your room and all your other small groups. Linda Ronstadt sounds great also. I listen to a lot of small groups playing mostly acoustical instruments and have much to look forward to in the coming days.

In my initial 3 hours of listening to RBCDs this evening after 5 hour warmup, the BHK has just made the SP-10 linestage section a true Vintage only piece and it sounded fabulous all the past years. I have not listened to phono yet. It will play all night and for next several days to get 200 or so hours on it as fast as the clock will go.

Tomorrow will get into large classical. The soundstage in my room is wall to wall beyond each speaker. I can’t wait to hear the soundfield of an orchestra presentation by the BHK. I expect outstanding. Time to break out the new Mercury CD sets.

What a day!

Thank you BHK, Paul, Arnie, Bob, Ted and all other staff. This piece and Torreys in the same week.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Enjoyed the pics and the comments.

Frode said

If they can make the hour meter work with what they have already (processor, display, a means to change label on each input channel) then the reset shouldn’t be a problem. The biggest question is if they have a reasonable time base in their processor that can be used, much like the millis() command in the Arduino that just counts milliseconds from when the unit is turned on. Then it’s really easy. But it all depends if they can get a reliable one second tick from the processor somewhere, then it’s just a matter of counting seconds and incrementing a counter every 3600 seconds and storing that into memory.

Fingers crossed.

–SSW

How many fuses are in the Preamp?

magicknow

Frode said

Yes, of course. If we implement a tube hour counter it’ll have to be resettable. I have proposed we add another window to the setup screen that counts the amount of time the tubes are live (they are not live when in standby mode). When you want to reset the counter, simply hold the button down for three seconds and the counter will be reset.

We don’t need/want a total mileage counter like you might have on a car - at least I cannot think of a good reason for this added complication.

magicknow said How many fuses are in the Preamp?

magicknow

One fuse in the preamp, accessible from the outside.

Paul McGowan said

We don’t need/want a total mileage counter like you might have on a car - at least I cannot think of a good reason for this added complication.

I’d think that’s what a piece of paper is for–the user can write down tube hours every time the tubes are replaced to keep a running total of hours on the unit if they really want to keep track of that, but as you say, there’s no real reason to implement total operational hours in the unit itself.

The big question is if there’s a reasonable one second time tick that can be generated with the hardware/ firmware without having to add anything.

We’ll find out on Monday . . .

–SSW

What is the amount of gain in db’s and the type of tubes used in the pre?

Elk,

My wife blessed me with adding the third Mercury set to 1 & 2 for Christmas.

Dave

Excellent! You will have many, many happy hours listening.

Paul McGowan said Not a bad suggestion - instead of mute, though, which can cause some serious confusion, maybe we drop the level to 25?
I would vote for mute output on the speakers + very clear indication on any LCD panel that it is now "Speaker Output, but Muted".

Some of us keep some very unusual (work?) hours and headphones can be relationship saving devices on those odd occasions.

Peanut Butter said

Would it be possible to automatically engage the mute when the headphone plug is removed? This would help to prevent unfortunate “sonic events” during late-night headphone listening sessions.

-Pb

Paul McGowan said Not a bad suggestion - instead of mute, though, which can cause some serious confusion, maybe we drop the level to 25?
Add a third option (user selectable from the front panel) to either 1), no mute, 2) permanently mute or lower the output level to a user-defined level, or 3) mute/lower level for a few seconds, then go back to the before-jack-removed setting.

That way the user has full control over what happens.

–SSW