BHK 250 Overheating

The BHK runs hot when not in standby. I don’t think you have a problem that needs fixing - it’s just a very different amplifier than your McIntosh, both in the way it sounds and the way it operates. Amazon is very good about their return policy. Take your time. You got a smoking good deal on it and I wouldn’t be so quick to go back the Mcintosh. Just give the two a listen and I doubt you’ll want to return it. But, it does run hot.

When I first got my BHK-250 it ran hotter than I would like. I raised the shelf above it so the I now have 2.75" of air space above the amp and it runs cooler than at first. That was over a year ago, so I don’t remember the temperature readings before and after, but I would recommend having as much open space as you can both above and to the sides of the amp to help keep the operating temperature down.

In my case, “hot” doesn’t do justice. It was, you could burn your hand on the cover hot. It triggered the safety circuit.

Thanks to all for your imput. I suppose as long as the heat/overload safety mechanism doesn’t kick in, it should be fine. I will give it a fair burn-in and trial before I pass judgement.

Hello,

If those heat sinks are getting so hot; what about the silicon paste used for heat transfer from power transistors to the heat sinks over time drying out? Also, so much heat, is damaging to other components, and the likelihood of premeasure failures occurring somewhere down the road are inevitable. There seems to be a need for some discussion here. Are these units ready for prime time? I am genuinely concerned, as a prospective buyer!

The heatsinks don’t get that hot. You can easily and comfortably place your hand on them. You notice they are hot but not to the point of trouble. Indeed, these amps are among the most reliable products we manufacture. We don’t actually use silicone paste (heatsink grease) anymore. Instead, we use a product called SilPads which are far more elegant.

The BHKs need ventilation space so they don’t get overheated. I suspect Bill had his in too tight a space. But, even if they do get pretty hot through lack of ventilation, this is one robust-built amp. Not to worry.

Thanks Paul for the reply. SilPads is a new one for me (:

Silpads?? I remember silicone grease when I assembled my Dyna 400 amp. Yes, check the pre-historic record!! What a messy, goopy stuff!! Plus the amp didn’t work when finished. Had to drive it 35+ miles to the tech who told me all was ok, the parts on the pre-assembled boards were loose. Wheew! Glad he was’t grading my soldering technique (or obvious lack of…). Haven’t checked, is there a smiley for 'P. U. ’ ??.