BHK Amplifiers - Standby Power consumption

For the first tier. In practice, it gets higher, and since the stereo is non-essential I guess I’d have to put it in the higher-price tier.

1 Like

Colorado Dam water ain’t cheap to get electricity from either.

Lived in LA area for 8 years… AYFKM… reason a lot of people are leaving. My HOA was $500/month and no pool, tiny strip of grass to mow… Taxes were crazy high… good thing I work there with bloated salaries and live in AZ… I took a very serious pay increase moving…:v:Love AZ… so cheap to live here…

We have one of the largest nuclear reactors in the US, 100 miles away…

I will go solar in about 5 years when the CA transients will drive up the taxes and utilities… right now, not so bad…

My dad worked on that reactor,I believe, when it was getting built. We lived in Holbrook 79-81.

What’s the name, I’ll ask him?

Palo Verde. I designed nuclear instrumentation for a decade. I worked for Canberra in the 90s. Gamma spectroscopy. Designed triple channel analyzer amplifier for them and Their first portable MCA (Multi Channnel Analyzer) I helped with. Also helped with a Preamp design. That was some fun times. Ask him about Canberra equipment.

He worked on instruments and controls at Ebasco (bought by United Engineers & Constructors, which was then bought by Raytheon, I think)

Nope, he worked at Cholla Power Plant, sorry was 4&5 at the time!

Canberra was bought in 2015… I moved on to United Technologies Research Center in 1998… as research engineer… fun times… got to pitch ideas and have one off designs built by techs in a really cool lab… that was the coolest job I ever had… we would just chase patents… our performance was based on patent production…

Didn’t they just start decommissioning Palo Verde? A good friend worked on the construction there. “Palo Verde Beach and Racquetball Club”.
We have a 1100mw nuclear plant about 10 miles away and 2 more 1100mw about 40 miles away. I worked construction on both of them until 1981 or so. Electric rates here are ~$0.10 / KWH now.

I meant the rate is double mine, not the usage. I live in Texas and pay less than $.08 per Kwhr.

Palo Verde

For the ADD… article is really good… above is the link…

Which plant was just decommisioned? I remember it was right on the coast and straddle of a fault line. I thought it was P.V.

Vern - not sure, that may be a plant in CA… AZ residents bought on the western side of AZ for the beach front property down the road… :slight_smile:

Yes its in CA. I guess I thought P.V. was in Cali.

It was San Onofre - I think. Memory is the first thing to go…

1 Like

All good… we can maintain cheap electricity till I’m dead. They also had a referendum on going solar and that got shot down 70% to 30%… AZ residents are not CA residents for another few decades at least. They wanted to make us go solar… yeah, with a nuclear power plant in my back yard… yeah, I’m for that… not. It is so cheap to live here. My taxes from Calabasas to here dropped from $8K to $2k and the house is twice as nice… My HOA is $100/month and we have a lake and 2 giant club houses with pools… yeah, right… I love living here… breakfast is $10 as opposed to $25 and on and on…

Oh, did not know. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in the late 70s. That area is really nice now… was suspect in the 70s…

This warm up thing is a no-no for me. I very briefly had a Bryston as it took half an hour to warm up. I hate valves, but 300B were at their best in a few minutes. Quad now have a very low power standby, but were also optimal within minutes. My current Devialet needs no warm up.
I assume think need to be on constantly means you can’t hide them in a unit and presumably they are a fire risk?

1 Like