BHK Amplifiers - Standby Power consumption

Hi,
Can anybody can tell me what the standby consumption of the BHK amps are?
From the manual it looks that maybe ‘Ready?’ state is the same as ‘Standby’?
Other amps that are in partial sleep/standby mode (ie: not fully powered) seem to be less.
At 75W - it seems excessive if it is to be this state all the time its sitting idle not being used ~ 18hrs a day.

From the manual …
Power Consumption Ready 75W
Idle 175W
Rated power 8Ω 850W
Rated power 4Ω 1600W

Yes, 75 watts in standby.

Just did a quick calc… my system costs >AUD1000.00/pa just in standby mode(if on 24/7)… :thinking::astonished:

It all adds up! I did the calc myself just on the (2) BHK 300 Monos equates to just over $300/year for 20hrs/day in Standby mode.
In the scheme of things - inconsequential amounts - but I did just check the Macintosh MC-611 - “Standby: less than 0.5 watt”.

Yes, 75 watts is about right for the standby power to keep the amp warm. It’s about the same as a couple of night lights and perhaps higher than some. You can always shut off the rear switch but then it takes a while to get up to speed once you switch it on.

Thanks Paul.
Would there be any issues with switching it off at the power point overnight (leaving the amp’s back switch in the ‘on’ position) and later turn the power point switch back on?
Cheers

This is fine. But keep in mind it takes some time for the amp to warm up and sound its best from a cold start.

There’s really no difference between the main power switch and an external power switch, so no, feel free.

I have a friend who turns his system off via the power button on his P20 after every listening session. He turns it on, listens for an hour or two and turns it off. He does this for environmental reasons. The problem in my opinion, but not in his, is that he never gives his system time to warm up sufficiently to really let it bloom. In fact, he and I have the same preamp and the manufacturer states that it needs fully 24 hours to warm up before critical listening and it’s absolutely true.
I only turn things off when I’ll be away. Normally, I leave everything on except the amp which is set to standby.
Everything else, I just dim the displays from the remotes.

My rule of thumb: solid state electronics stays on all the time; tube electronics gets turned off at the end of the evening and turn on before making my coffee in the morning, allowing at least an hour before I ever get serious about listening.

1 Like

Thanks Paul - yep - I’m more comfortable with a complete power off overnight. Any dedicated ‘sit down’ music listening is done after a couple of hours of being on anyway.
Cheers

I think that will be much the same for me … except it will be off at night and back on when I get back from work.
:wink:

1 Like

Agree but can’t wait an hour.

2 Likes

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C029/?_ga=2.180162404.1782719461.1550919266-87130911.1550919266

I’m considering getting this thing, and installing it between the P20 and the wall. The 300s are connected to the P20 (as is the rest of my system), so it’s the best way I can think of to calculate the cost of running the system.

Oh - and, obviously, 75w + 75w = 150w/standby.

Bear with me;

150w x 24 = 3600w/day. 60 day billing cycle, 216 kWh.

Does this sound right so far?

LADWP base rate = 0.16826 per kWrh.

216000 X 0.16826 = 36,344.16

Hmmmmmm…

$36.34/60 days to sit here on? If I did this right, that seems reasonable.

The math is correct. I though it was off by 50% but then I noticed the 60 day billing cycle.

Wow, your electric rates are double mine!

For a 60 day billing cycle? Where do you live?

did you notice LADWP 17cents in the equation… we pay 9 cents and look at the average rate in US and then ask yourself WTF! Sunshine is not cheap…