BHK Preamp tube rolling

The 1956 Radiotechniques are quite good in my experience as are the Brimar CV4003s. I didn’t think much of the GE Mil Spec 12AU7 / JAN 6189Ws. They’re fine, but to me not particularly special…

1 Like

For me it’s the Telefunken ECC802S or the Genalex B749. Both have the sound I look for, just slightly tubey.

Right now listening to a pair of Amperex 7308 PQ. Fantastic!

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the new production Gold Lion 12AU7s. They don’t have me pulling the NOS Siemens 7308s I currently have in my BHK Pre. But, as I’ve posted elsewhere premium NOS small signal tubes are becoming scarce at any price and I’m convinced I need to find a new production backup. After a lot of experimentation, I’m ordering my second pair of platinum matched Gold Lions as my go to when I’ve burned through my box of NOS treasures. That’s how highly I think of those tubes.

4 Likes

I don’t have your extensive experience with NOS tubes, but the few times I have recently, I have stayed with the Gold Lions in the BHK Pre Are you using the GLs’ in BHK 300’s?

Shameless Plug for anyone that does not own this wonderful preamp:
See my ad in PS forums classified section for new unused black BHK Signature, with extras…
Thanks;
Tim

1 Like

Just ordered a pair, will report back.

Do you have a link for Brent Jesse’s website, or contact info? Would like to order a set of the Raytheon Baldwin 12au7s. Thanks.

https://www.audiotubes.com

2 Likes

Gary

If you want to just try a pair to see if you like them then try these. I’ve bought multiple sets of tubes from him over the years and with the Raytheon’s you want the black plates.

2 Likes

Thank you, just ordered them!

1 Like

Had a chance to listen to these tubes today, but unfortunately they didn’t gel with my system.
Not a bad tube, just a little too mellow for my tastes, in my system.

If anyone is interested, I’ll sell them for I paid for them. $37, and I’ll pay for shipping.

Gary

If you need to go back in the other directions you can try the 1952 Sylvania’s as they are more to the “neutral” side of things which may balance out the tubes you have in the amps.

1 Like

Thanks, I may give them a try, but at this point my system sounds so satisfying to me in every way, I think I’ll stop tinkering with it for a while. Trying to hunt down some more NOS Amperex 6922’s for the amp. Never want to live without out them, now that I know how they make the BHK 250 sing.