Bird-dogging Roon Network Audio Quality Issues

We’ve been discussing some network issues over in the DMP Beta thread. One issue has been: does Roon file playback quality differ from DLNA/UPnP files? If so, why and how? I think this now belongs here.

In my experience, my Roon playback is slightly better than playback from my MinimServer. Perhaps that is because I have optimized around Roon, and perhaps it is just psychological. In any case, this technical discussion over on the Roon Community illustrates how the little things could impact sonic quality.

For me Minimserver with BubbleUPNP (as OpenHome proxy) to bridge2 delivers better SQ than Roon streamed to the bridge2.

I guess it’s simply because UPnP makes less stress on the bridge2 CPU than RAAT protocol used by Roon which is more complex than UPnP.

Would be thankful for any Roon optimization tips to get SQ at least on the level of UPnP… :wink:

In my case both Minimserver+BubbleUPNP and also Roon Core are running on the same Skylake i7 NUC (Linux, 32GB RAM, NVME SSD…), connected to bridge2 via ethernet switch + optical transcievers (due to galvanic isolation).

maniac said For me Minimserver with BubbleUPNP (as OpenHome proxy) to bridge2 delivers better SQ than Roon streamed to the bridge2.

I guess it’s simply because UPnP makes less stress on the bridge2 CPU than RAAT protocol used by Roon which is more complex than UPnP.

Would be thankful for any Roon optimization tips to get SQ at least on the level of UPnP… :wink:

In my case both Minimserver+BubbleUPNP and also Roon Core are running on the same Skylake i7 NUC (Linux, 32GB RAM, NVME SSD…), connected to bridge2 via ethernet switch + optical transcievers (due to galvanic isolation).

I have a quite similar setup. Music stored in Qnap NAS, Roon server on nuc i5, 16gb, nvme ssd + Linux centos 64bit. Nuc, DS dac are in different network segment, which is optically isolated from other network. E.g. NAS resides on the other nw segment.

NUC and tplink media transformers are powered with LPS (hdplex). Separate ferrite rings are also used in power cables of nuc and tp-link.

On network segment where DS dac resides, there are used also some galvanic isolation in addition to optical isolation. But network path is same for Minimserver and Roon server.

Next to DS dac there is a dedicated switch with LPS and another optical isolator + LPS. Actually I am waiting delivery of UpTone LPS-1, which will then replace the closest LPS (hdplex) used in opto-isolator (optolinedriver old6000) next to DS DAC.

if there would be optical Ethernet connection in bridge 2 then almost all of this optical isolation hazzle could be avoided…

Minimserver is running on Qnap NAS. Minimserver transcodes flacs to wav. In Centos There is directly mounted Music share in NAS.

After comparing sq between Roon and Minimserver, I can’t identify which one sounds better. There sound so similar. Sometimes I was feeling that soundstage and imaging is more accurate with better resolution with Minimserver, but after switching between Roon and Minimserver couple of times, I couldn’t tell the difference any more. So if there are differences, there are so minor that they don’t matter in my case. And Roon control point (iPad Pro) with tidal integration is superior to anything I have used before.

DS is connected directly to Hegel H20 power amp, speakers are dynaudio Confidence c1 Signature. I am not using any power conditioners or power regenerator. But an order has been placed for P5…

How the SQ differs in your case? Do you have latest updates for Roon server and control point.

edit: Do you have DS dac or pwd mark 2?