Box Storage

Wondering if I should upgrade my boxes for better performance. Has anyone tried the new cyro treated plated boxes from AudioBox Super Elite? They are $2000 a piece, but reviews claim that the upgraded performance is worth the price. I was saving up for heart surgery, but hey, you only live once!

(did I take it too far?) Honestly though, I also have a box storage problem amongst other obvious problems…

Cheers

Tom

3 Likes

I keep all original boxes in the attic, but I don’t protect it at all from the damp that is definitely up there during the winter so they do suffer over time. But the attic is a real mess, need to go through it and tidy it up. @Palouse recommendation of flattening the boxes is a great one, and one I’d not even considered, thank you for that, so simple and yet totally unrecognised by me.

Thanks. Yeah I love living in Florida again but I do miss having that basement. The boxes were out of sight out of mind. That’s good insight on storing them in the garage. I pretty sure I’m going to buys some of those storage racks that attach to the ceiling. I’ll put the boxes in some of those thick plastic bags and store them up there.

1 Like

Lol. That’s what I currently have and my wife is now saying it’s time for them to go. At least she doesn’t mind having large floor standing speakers and all those components in the living room :slight_smile:

My wife has a no more new anything rule. I ignore it though.

1 Like

Here the new rule is no more new door stops. A rule for which I shall abide. :grinning:

2 Likes

Moving from Colorado to Florida must have been quite a change. I feel you on the box storage struggle - those things can take up so much space! If you don’t have a basement anymore, it’s time to get creative. Personally, I’ve seen folks repurpose their garage or attic for box storage, but I get your concerns about humidity and other risks in Florida.
Here’s a suggestion for everyone in the same situation: have you considered using some heavy-duty plastic bins with tight seals? They can help protect your gear from the elements while taking up less space than the original boxes.
Also, I think you might make great use of bags from Paper Grocery Bags. They’re eco-friendly and might be a neat alternative for storing smaller items. Just a thought!

1 Like

With high garage ceiling, I have a drop-down frame rack for boxes, boxes withstanding humidity well

1 Like

Hey MichaelDrook

Welcome to the most active, knowledgeable, enjoyable of all audio related
forums!!!

I found some extra large and thick walled storage bags about 20 to a box
they are large enough to so that my Focal Aria 948 towers fit into one
and then counter fit from opposite side a second bag. My JC5 power amp’s
shipping box as well.

Sprayed some bug spray into boxes before bagging them up.

Was trying to locate these bags on amazon ( I thought that was where
I got them from, but could not find my order )

Found it found it… here is the link

Plasticplace 95-96 Gallon Garbage Can Liners │ 2 Mil │ Black Heavy Duty Trash Bags │ 61” x 68”, 25 Count

Hope this helps rather vague I know…

Best wishes

That’s exactly what I ended up doing. I had some of those drop down racks built from the ceiling.

It’s funny you just sent this reply because the listening room that I’ve been building for almost 2 years will finally be complete today and now I have to start moving all these boxes to the garage.