Bridge I vs. Logitech Squeezebox Touch

Jeff-S said Its working now, plays from track to track w/o issues. Only parameter that needed to be changed was "Player handles next track" changed from yes to no. This is because PS Audio Bridge 1 does not support gapless play. If using PS Audio Bridge 2 then this parameter can be set to yes.
Thank you, Jeff! I am waiting for the Bridge II now, impatiently. Hopefully, it will arrive here next week.

The same here with my Pioneer BDP and continuous playback, I had to set “Players handles next track” to no.

I plan on ordering a Bridge II next week. So far I have not been able to detect any sound quality difference using LMS + Squeezepad vs. JRiver + Jremote. I thought there might be because of a discussion on AudioCircle where it was stated “To put it simply, LMS/Squeezelite sounded far better played through my system than does JRiver.” I’ve only compared LMS to JRiver for a couple hours, but if one sounded “far better” I think it would have been obvious by now, and to me it is not.

Here is the link mentioned above to AudioCircle:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=133790.msg1419463#msg1419463

Jeff-S said I plan on ordering a Bridge II next week. So far I have not been able to detect any sound quality difference using LMS + Squeezepad vs. JRiver + Jremote. I thought there might be because of a discussion on AudioCircle where it was stated "To put it simply, LMS/Squeezelite sounded far better played through my system than does JRiver." I've only compared LMS to JRiver for a couple hours, but if one sounded "far better" I think it would have been obvious by now, and to me it is not.
I don't use JRiver. I think I was using it 4 years ago. Not long though. All I can say is Triode's Squeezelite is a very fine player. Daphile is using it by default (instead of SqueezePlay). Even the guys from Antipodes Audio seem to prefer it: Squeezelite brings Spotify, better sound to Antipodes DS/DX

I remember Russ from the thread you have linked. His How to use the Squeezebox Touch to play DSD files on a DoP compatible DAC

was very helpful. So, some people go back from JRiver to LMS/Squeezelite, some people (me) from Auralic Aries back to LMS. There must be reasons for this Well, I have no idea how JRiver “sounds” compared to Squeezelite. I am happy with LMS/Daphile/Squeezelite.

Ok, I have the Bridge II the second day now and what to say: everything I need works so far and very stable. I had to fiddle around in the settings of the UPnP/DLNA-bridge plugin in the beginning “a bit” (continuous playback didn’t work, neither DSD playback)

bridge.jpg

I had to change HTTP streaming option from “chunked” to “fixed large size”, Player handles “next track” to “no”. I added dsd and dsf in supported codecs and changed the Max Sample Rate from 48000 to 192000.

For the moment I really have nothing to nag. I am happy that I did the step to the Bridge II and especially that it works with the LMS (thanks to Philippe, the developer of the plugin!). The sound quality of the Bridge II is really superb to my ears. Streaming from Qobuz and Band’s Campout works well, too.

I guess I will use the Bridge for the daily listening and keep the USB connection (with the Uptone Regen) alive for the 3-4 DSD128 albums I have.

As far as I remember the UPnP LMS plugin could send only MP3 stream, not FLAC or WAV. Is it still the case?

Alekz: The LMS plugin I’m using (UPnP/DLNA bridge) can stream FLAC and in my case, AIFF. All my CDs are ripped as AIFF and they are streaming to the PS Audio Bridge II perfectly. From reading about the plugin at Squeezebox forum, FLAC works.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103728-Announce-UPnPBridge-integrate-UPnP-DLNA-players-with-LMS-(squeeze2upnp)

Holzohr: Regarding the parameter “Player handles next track = no”, when I upgraded from Bridge I to II had to leave the parameter set to “no” with Bridge II. This surprised me because Phillipe told me it needed to be set to “no” with Bridge I because Bridge I does not support gapless. Since Bridge II does support gapless I assumed the parameter could be set to “yes” but it did not work. Track 1 would play but stop at the end, had to manually select track 2 etc. Returning the parameter to “no” and now entire CD plays w/o problem. However gapless probably doesn’t work. I don’t have any CDs ripped where I could test gapless. Is gapless working for you?

Also I was able to leave “HTTP streaming option = chunked” for both Bridge I and II.

Hi Jeff, I was wondering about that “no”, too. I thought the Bridge II should handle the next track by default. Also for gapless. I am not sure anymore, what exactly helped me with the gapless playack. Maybe the change from “chunked” to “fixed large size” did the trick. So gapless playack is working for me. I have tons of electronic music here, also several concert recordings where gapless is a must.

The Bridge II is working stable for 1,5 weeks now but today I was panicking a bit… lol. I had updated Daphile from the last official version to the newest Beta this morning. Result was the Bridge II was not able to play PCM/FLAC files anymore (the display of the SBT showed me the message: couldn’t open the file). The strange thing was DSD-playback worked fine as before. Kimmo (the developer of Daphile) kicked SqueezePlay from Daphile in the newest Beta, only Squeezelite is supported from now. Well, I “downgraded” to the last official and now PCM/FLAC works with the Bridge II again. phew Never touch a running system! 65_gif

Alekz said As far as I remember the UPnP LMS plugin could send only MP3 stream, not FLAC or WAV. Is it still the case?
I am just playing with this UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin from Andy Grundman now because the new version of the UPnP/DLNA-bridge plugin doesn't work with the Bridge II anymore *sob*

Well, I have FLAC playback from redbook stuff up to 24/192. I use the app BubbleUPnP (for Android) to control it. DSD playback is not possible, probably because you can not activate the DoP flag anywhere.

I’m a complete newbe to Suqeezebox, does it require a 3rd party player, if so what is usually used ? I’m trying to play Spotify from SB, thks.

rogerdn said I'm a complete newbe to Suqeezebox, does it require a 3rd party player, if so what is usually used ? I'm trying to play Spotify from SB, thks.
You must activate the Spotify plugin in the LMS settings, under "Plugins". There are two plugins, one official by Logitech and the 3rd Party Spotify plugin, made by the community. I don't know which one of them is better. Probably the community plugin. (I use Qobuz)

Thks Holzohr, so the Synology app is within SB and not external, i.e., a stand alone on my iPad ? Actually I’m trying to set up my new Sonicorbiter SE which includes SB Server and Squeezelite. In the case of their Roon it’s controlled from the external app, was wondering if SB is the same, but unless you’re familiar with Soniorbiter you may not be able to answer this.

I still didn’t play with Roon yet but yes, for the Squeezebox system (Logitech Media Server LMS) there are lots of external Android and iOS apps you can use for. For an iPad iPeng is the best app, surely. (I have nothing to do with the developer of iPeng only that we live in the same city.)

The LMS offers a web interface, so for playing with the settings, activating/de-activating plugins you should use the web interface (usually: ip_address_of_your_LMS:9000, so in your case: ip_address_of_your_Sonicorbiter:9000). I guess you can see the link to the web interface in the LMS/Squeezebox server menu of your Sonicorbiter.

Holzohr said
I am just playing with this UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin from Andy Grundman now because the new version of the UPnP/DLNA-bridge plugin doesn't work with the Bridge II anymore *sob*
I may correct myself, happily. Thanks to Philippe, the developer of the UPnP/DNLA-bridge plugin, I can use the older version that works with the Bridge II again. It seems that the Bridge II is a bit tricky compared to other UPnP renderers.

Holzohr, I have ordered a Bridge II for my PWD II and will receive it next week.

I run LMS on a Vortexbox Appliance (linux box) with an ethernet cable to my SB Touch. (99% of my music is redbook ripped to FLAC.) LMS has been so stable for me that I want to see if I can make it work with the Bridge II.

Yesterday I bought iPeng in order to use my iPhone as a control point once the Touch is gone; iPeng works great with LMS so far.

Would you recommend Philippe’s UPnP/DNLA bridge (0.2.7.2) as available in the 3rd Party Plugins on the LMS settings page, or do I need to ask him for a different version? (Would I then paste his http address into the Additional Repositories line to install the older version?)

Thanks in advance for your expertise. Computer audio is a wild ride sometimes, but I do find myself enjoying it!

Hello cymbob,

I would recommend the former version 0.2.5.0. Playback of redbook stuff was possible with 0.2.7.2 but the continuous playback was very instable. The next song got skipped often, for any reason. Paste this http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26754471/squeezecenter/repo-dl.xml into the Additional Repositories line. Then you will get the version 0.2.5.0. You will see the version 1.2.5.0. Philippe had to give it a higher number. I guess to make the 0.2.7.2 hidden. Ah, I would recommend also not to activate this Automatical Plugins Update.

Congrats for purchasing the Bridge II! I have bought it just to use it with Philippe’s plugin. Maybe a bit risky but thank God that I could experience the smoothly working version 0.2.5.0. and also that Philippe it made available again.

Mario

Many thanks for the repository link, Holzohr!

Another reason I want to stay with LMS is that it plays TIDAL well, both through the official LMS plugin and through the Ickstream plugin.

I use Qobuz, a French streaming service. Similar to TIDAL, I think. The Squeezebox Touch has a nice feature. You can choose an extern player instead of the Touch, in the settings via the Touch’s screen. So, I have choosen the Bridge II as extern player and the SBT is the “Now playing” display for the Bridge now (in stand-by mode it shows the analog clock). At least untill I find a new job for the SBT. With activated WLAN you can place it somewhere next to you. I think I should buy another SBT…

And… We’re in business!

Took an hour or so of futzing with settings, but now I have 1.2.5.0 (0.2.5.0) installed from the repository line of LMS plugins. I’ve had success with 16/44 flac, 24/96 flac, and gapless works once Player Handles Next Track is set to “no.” “Chunked” streaming seems fine. No problem using Pandora or TIDAL through the LMS plugin! So happy here!

I’m controlling with iPeng; it’s doing pretty well, but did get hung up when I played and then stopped a 24/96 album. Had to access LMS though my laptop to get it reset.

I wanted to control volume with the PWD remote control, and that required me to use Ignore All Changes in the Player Volume Management settings so that LMS and iPeng did not confuse the Bridge. Before using that setting, I would set a volume with the PWD remote and discover moments later (with a jolt!) that LMS/iPeng had returned it to 100%.

I’m letting things settle in a bit and will return for some critical listening tonight.

Mario, thanks for helping to illuminate the path.

Jeff and Mario (and other LMS / Bridge II users):

I am still getting about 4 seconds of garbled static/music about half the time when I pull up a new track or album and press play. It seems like a buffering issue, because it doesn’t happen when a playlist is going and LMS knows what track is coming next.

Any guess on whether there is a setting change that may help?

This small problem aside, I cannot believe how good Bridge II sounds in my PWD. Compared to the Squeezebox Touch, this is a major, major upgrade.