Bridge II vs PWT

It’s not just headphones. I have a few setups some headphones and two rs1B and a couple of others. It’s nit that it’s bad it just never allowed the music to sound as it did on some other transports. Example is before I built any music servers I’ did what most do use a desk top or laptop to me the PWT was no better and once I used an ap1se and pp or my offramp it was way above it . It does work perfect I just tried it agin tonight the bridge is much better to my brain. But this is audio and what’s good for me may be bad for others. And I do find I am on the outside here so don’t go by me . Now I do have friends , audio buddies who listen with me at times and they do agree . Most here are much more understanding then I am and as such can give better details of how things sound and why . For me as I would like to understand more it’s much more important that it sounds great to me. Pauls new bridge is a winner for me and I like pike and Yale much better than 121. I also feel the DS does PCM better than DSd most here do not feel this way ether , I do know what sounds right in DSd , I think overall the DS is very good .

Thanks for the comments, I ordered a regen. The B2 can come later. I’m wondering whether the JCAT ref cable will still be worthwhile or does the cable become less important with the regen?

I don’t use an preamp and don’t feel the need. My speakers go loud enough, I’m usually about 67 on DS volume, unless I’m in the mood.

The DS is great and lets other components shine through.

1234 said I also feel the DS does PCM better than DSd most here do not feel this way ether
Count me in on this one (+1).

Yes, while the DSD is quite good I think I lean in the same direction.

Al, Frode; Based on your previous comments I’m aware both of you have other DSD DAC’s, or least extended listening experience with them, so I’ll take them as valuable data. Tony22, what other DSD DAC’s have you heard? No offense intended, just was curious since I don’t recall you mentioning other DAC’s. Quite honestly, I haven’t heard any others, I lead a sheltered life … Actually, I try not to tempt myself, but then I read the comments here and elsewhere and that seed of doubt sneaks in and starts messing with my brain. Maddening it is! Now Paul is poking my brain mercilessly with the DST (aka, PWT II). What’s a hermit to do?

Do not listen to others it leads to crazy impulsive buying and a never ending trail of bodies .

Hermits are happy. Also our brains get used to what have or listen too. If what you have sounds good and the DS very good your fine . Some of the stuff I have and sold were devices I never liked period. Something I firmly beleave in is we all hear different or our brains interpit it so. I think it comes from what we hear over our lifetime or atleast what use daily. If your first impulse is nice that’s a great start next is after a month or so. If it’s still nice your done. Even though I do not feel,the DSD is great on this DAC if use it just for a few ours my brain adjusts to it kinda filling in the gaps so to Speak. My issues are I have a few systems both speakers , headphones and ciems this lads me to never really settle on one sound type. If you download your music then a bridge or USB are fine . However if you own SACD,s or cd,s and are old enough as I am who played vinyl those little shinny disks matter almost as much as the Music playing.

The the new PWT 2 is a great idea. If you play using USB a REGEn is a fairly cheap upgrade that is well worth it. Even with stock psu the improvment with all types of music genre and type are obvious and welcome . Far more than USB cable make for me.

Fair question. In my own system the only other DSD capable DACs I’ve heard are the Benchmark DAC2 and a Mytek (can’t remember which one). At shows over the years, many - but that has to take into account also hearing them in different systems. Having said that, the full dCS line, the Chord, other Myteks, exaSound, Esoteric, Light Harmonic, one or two others. If I try to “guess” at what good DSD sounds like from these others systems, what I’ve heard compared in my own system, and how it sounds from the DS compared to excellent quality PCM sources, I think DS DSD is very very good, but there may be some small room for improvement.

This is all relative. I wouldn’t say by any stretch that the quality of DSD from the DS isn’t exceptionally good.

Al, Tony22; thanks for the information and assurance. I am happy with what I have, though I’m sure there is room to grow. I don’t get regular opportunities to hear other systems, and they are almost always completely different from mine. Making decisions (or creating desires) on forum discussions and even hi fi mags can be very dangerous … I don’t like living dangerously! Well, at least in that regard…

pmotz said Frode; Based on your previous comments I'm aware both of you have other DSD DAC's, or least extended listening experience with them, so I'll take them as valuable data.
My comment in post 23 was based on the fact that playing an optimal PCM source through DS sounds better than playing an optimal DSD source through the same DAC. I am not necessarily talking about the same recording, but rather that my Lumin A1 streamer (connected to the same NAS library) sounds better on DSD than PCM for the same tracks. So I know that my source material is of sufficient quality. I prefer Lumin on DSD and the DS on PCM. Lumin has a DAC onboard (Lundahl trafo outputs). I have also tried digital out on the Lumin into the DS and it sounds almost as good as my Aries via USB on some material.

@1234 “…I’ did what most do use a desk top or laptop”

Al: When playing music through one of your dedicated servers through the BridgeII, is there any noticeable sound improvement over playing music through a’laptop/server software’ through the BridgeII? Since I only use the BridgeII (with the DS), I wonder if it would be worthwhile for me to move from my laptop/JRiver setup to a dedicated server - to BridgeII

Yes absolutely there,is major improvement. I did try the bridge on an I 7 laptop win 10 the server is way better . Weather ots USB or bridge 2 it’s worthwhile. Now total system synergy and how transparent it is matters too. If I use cheaper headphones the improvement is there but much less. Even if I use ciems I can hear the change as well. It’s more musical , better separation of the sounds as whole . Lastly spins stage if that matters a server is a must . As things get more detailed the imaging on good tracks gets holographic

Reporting back to say that the audio horizons fuse in the DS has given me outstanding results. Opened up the soundstage more than I thought was possible. The DS/Bridge 2 combo has closed the gap between the DS/PWT combo, and then some. Now sounds more open and smoother. PWT sounds almost “boxed-in” now in comparison. I have another fuse coming in a few days for the PWT, so we will see how that combo will respond. Bridge 2 is really sounding good right now.

The AH fuse in the PWT may be of even further improvement over the DS.

Al (1234),

Did you ever try streaming music files from your NAS directly to the Bridge II? If so, how did it sound vs. your music server?

Have you ever used TIDAL and streamed directly to the Bridge II. If so, can you comment on sound quality vs. your music servers?

Have you heard any of the Aurender or Antipodes music servers? If so, how do they sound compared to the servers you built?

oddeophile said The AH fuse in the PWT may be of even further improvement over the DS.
You were not exaggerating when you say this. The Audio Horizons fuse has really lit a fire beneath the PWT. Fuse is just starting to settle in and it has brought the PWT to a new level. I was really hoping the Bridge 2 would end up sounding better because of convenience, but the PWT is still king without a doubt. These fuses are highly recommended.