CAPS Server

I have tired 1/A and 2/A and both 1/B and 2/B. The change is subtle but there. I am so glad someone else has heard the change. Post what you have in the caps. And for the record my first testing was with hd800 headphones. And I was just staring up at the ceiling wondering how could this be. And with speakers it just got better.

Al

Al, I have been toying with the idea of going down this path, using my CAPS 3.0 server. However, I need to be able to run Dirac. High end audio phil told me it would probably work, but I would absolutely hate to completely rebuild my server (spending hours / days) only to find out it does not work. Could you do me a huge favor and download the trial copy of Dirac Live (calibtration tool and runtime), and see if it runs under Windows Server 2012 with Optimizer? If so, I’ll bite the bullet and give it a whirl myself. You won’t hurt my feelings by saying no.

Yes of course. Please send me the link.

Also is your caps battery.

Or liniar psu. Or switching psu as standard

al

alrainbow said Yes of course. Please send me the link.

Also is your caps battery.

Or liniar psu. Or switching psu as standard

al

I have the red wine battery. This is the link to the trial version. To actually do a calibration you would need to have a microphone, so no need to do this (although just for kicks you could try applying DRC and see how you like out).

If you can just get the “optimizer” and “processor” to run I’d be comfortable enough to reconfigure my server (at some point …). Also, when you run the Dirac runtime, you need to set Dirac as your default (virtual) audio output device in Windows, select Dirac as audio output in Jriver, and select you DAC as actual output device in Dirac. It is really simple.

http://shop.dirac.se/products/105-dirac-live-room-correction-suite-trial-version.aspx

I meant to post about this a couple days ago, but got distracted at work - I saw a CNET article (trying to find it again) that Intel is releasing a new line of processors that are specifically geared towards fanless devices!

So I have a feeling, between the boom of great DACs, the dropping prices of DACs, and more mini/micro fanless systems coming out - I think we’re at the head of a wave of change for the better! :slight_smile:

Found it!

http://www.cnet.com/news/intel-takes-wraps-off-core-m-processor-that-can-enable-pcs-without-fans/

For the record. I have a second fanless server with Lynx Card and Video card for MCH / Video application that makes my CAPS 3.0 look like a toy. you can probably get a bespoke version of this machine with LPS - the chassis is much much bigger than the any of the CAPS models.

“Monster” build by endpcnoise. These guys are extremely competent and responsive and I would recommend them over smallgreen for z server project any day of the week.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/category=Fanless_PCs.html?id=3rTqAwQY

How did you configure it and what was the final cost?

Elk said How did you configure it and what was the final cost?
4tb internal drive option, and fanless HDMI video card for a grand total of a around 3K. I did send them my Lynx card to install which is worth $700. So close to $4K for the package. However, this is a very solid piece of hardware, that puts some of the more expensive branded servers (like Beatis) to shame. These guys used to build servers for Goodwin's high end.

Nice! It also supports the pricing structure of specialized prebuilt servers/player like Sonore’s and Bryston’s.

At well over twice the price of a Small Green CAPS, it appears unfair to compare this machine to a CAPS however. They are not playing on the same field. :)

Is there a readily appreciable difference in the sound of the CAPS and the Monster?

Servers like Beatis basically double/triple the price price of components going into their servers. Smallgreen and endpcnoice assemble a machine charging component cost plus a reasonable fee for assembly of about 25% I estimate. The difference between smallgreen and endpcnoise is I had a pretty bad experience with them and found that other assembling CAPS machines, they (he) has limited knowledge of PCs, and very poor customer service (after they cashed your check, their priority is to get you off their back). Having said that 99% of the time you won’t have a problem and their machines are very reasonably priced. Don’t try a custom project with them though.

EndPCnoise are highly knowledgeable, and very customer service oriented. The monster does not necessarily sound better - the reason it is more expensive is additional hardware / function features. It is an entirely different application - MCH + Video. I tried a custom CAPS 3.0 version for hybrid MCH / 2 Channel and video and it was a disaster.

As I know the unit edorr has and it’s a good one. Mine main one cost me over 5k. And us above that. But having built a few at different levels I have found something a computor savey person can do for afew hundred and get you about 75 percent of the way there.

The main objective is win 2012

and audio optimiset

next a USB card with a deprecate psu input. These items are fine to start with. Most people who run caps do not do this at all. They run win 7 or 8

no battery or linear psu at all.

To me this is what I had before what I have now is a leap in improvement

al

I made a huge mistake trying to run MCH Lynx, 2 channel USB, video and Dirac on the same CAPS 3.0 machine. Windows is not robust enough to handle the switching between configurations. Although the CAPS 3.0 hardware is theoretically powerful enough, I never got the video to work properly. I’m all sorted out now with dual servers, and if I have the time and it works with Dirac I’ll try the windows 2012 + optimizer route on my CAPS.

Great info. Thanks!

I have a caps question for anyone.

Are there afordable (under $2k) caps servers that can run with Windows 2012 as the OS?

Thanks,
jojo

jojoskidancer said I have a caps question for anyone.

Are there afordable (under $2k) caps servers that can run with Windows 2012 as the OS?

Thanks,
jojo

Should be very easy. You can probably get away with a lot cheaper than $2K

Elk. I know I write like idiot. Bit we both know I am not. If you need links or anything I can do to help you try this I will colmy to you. You always gave me help and better understanding

al

Yes you do not need to spend even that much to start a good caps

Thanks, Al.

I think in some ways we are all idiots on this particular bus. :)

Elk said Thanks, Al.

I think in some ways we are all idiots on this particular bus. :)

Brings to mind this priceless scene …

I recognize many of us on there.

I am debating whether this is reassuring or disturbing.