CAPS Server

Elk said I recognize many of us on there.

I am debating whether this is reassuring or disturbing.

Undoubtedly, Paul is the guy driving the bus in this little audiophile metaphor.

Did you see ted smith in the back hahahaha.

You know I frequently quoit from that movie. Running companies this is important and foundational

Human behavior u cannot post my actual quoits though. Sorry. For fhe teas.

Funny though

Fundamental. Thus damn spell check just changes my already misspelled words to completely other words with wrong meanings.

Al

Elk said Thanks, Al.

I think in some ways we are all idiots on this particular bus. :)

Gee, I thought we were bozos. Remember these guys?

That’s you boy ted Brady’s line.

Firesign Theatre–now that sure brings back some hazy college memories.

Elk do you have a extra CPU laying around. An I5 min CPU is fine.

Al

Nope. I have laptops for recording, one for work, desktops in the studio. The studio desktops work great as servers, but they already have jobs. The laptops are similarly purposed.

I have a Bryston BDP-2 on the way that will become the server/player for the main system.

I’ll admit it is fun building desktops however. A CAPS would be a quick, fun project.

I will post what you need In the morning

main board is most important most do not work

Al, please do not for me. I am not going to build a CAPS or similar server. I’m more than all set with what I have. :)

Elk said Al, please do not for me. I am not going to build a CAPS or similar server. I'm more than all set with what I have. :)

I however would like to see a build list - maybe with some different board options. I still have a Lenovo Micro-PC, but I’m not sure I can ever make it completely fanless. So I’m looking for budget fanless options that I can power with my Linear PSU (that I hope to start modding soon)

alrainbow said I will post what you need In the morning

main board is most important most do not work

Please do!

It’s 3 in the morning - I should be well and asleep by now - but I’ve installed Server 2012 on a spare laptop I had around, along with Foobar2000.

I don’t really think it sounds better than my Windows 8.1 system, but then; #1 I can’t turn it up as loud as I normal do because…well, it’s 3am and the fiance is sleeping. #2 I swear it has better PRaT. I’m tappin’ my toes and bouncing in my seat. So maybe I’m just in a good mood.

More to explore…not that that is a bad thing. :slight_smile:

Win server is easy. But to get the benifit of it you need audio optimizer . You,get 5 install keys with one purchase . So you can reinstall all you wish if it’s the same machine. But you can use five difrent machines . If you change the CPU or mother board it changes the keys.

So what ever machine you choose you can change anything inside , but not the CPU or main board . Even just running the simple optimizer with out going into core mode yields a no thimble improvement . But core mode is just a wow as soon as it’s ruining. There is stuff you never new wad there .

Al

Are there afordable (under $2k) caps servers that can run with Windows 2012 as the OS?

jojo

Should be very easy. You can probably get away with a lot cheaper than $2K

Yes you do not need to spend even that much to start a good caps

My bad! I should have been more specific. I’ll try again.

Can anyone recommend a capa server, under $2k, that can run with Windows 2012 OS?

I’m guessing that any caps server that comes standard with Windows 7 or 8 can be loaded with Windows 2012. If I’m wrong please let me know.

Thanks,

jojo

check online what processor you and how muck RAM you need to run server 2012. I suspect any CAPS server with 4gb of ram will make the cut.

Easier said than done! Most of the COTS caps servers do not mention what OS is used. I will have to call them to find out.

Most caps do not work on win server 2012 and audio optimizer

but most caps makers know what to use to achieve it.

I am out I the field and will give you am list that works

main boards is the main part that must work correctly.

I have 4 units each with a proven board i will and post pics later

I had zero problems with Windows Server 2012 on an Asus P8z77-m mainboard and an i3 processor (forget model, but one of the 35 watt ones). The thing is based on Windows 8, so I wouldn’t have imagined as many compatibility issues. Most Windows 8 drivers work, and others can be installed in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

I checked the AO reviews page and one of the AO alpla testers uses a caps server like the CAPS V3 Lagoon that runs Windows 2012 with AO just fine. This caps server only uses an Atom N2800 CPU!

I found two caps servers for under $2k that run Windows 2012 and AO:

1. The CAPS v3 Lagoon caps server is under $2K ($1,125,00) but only has 4GB of memory.

2. Have to move up to their Zuma model ($1,895) to get 8GB but it also has an Intel i7 processor and can take up to 32GB.

jojo