Cartridge setup--guidance requested

Being especially lazy I’m using a Rega TT (RP-10) and Rega cart (Aphelion 2) with 3-point mounting so in theory no adjustments necessary. I’m sure there are some out there who would fine tune the cart position using the small clearance within the cart / head shell mounting holes, but it sounds great so will leave it alone.

Also love the super slick custom torque wrench designed to apply 0.4 N-m to each of the (3) mounting screws.

And agree in general with recommended VTF and usually near the heavy end of recommended range.

3 Likes

Wow. Gotta have one of those torque wrenches.
My 3 point mount of Linn Kandid was done by the dealer. It sounds great and passes every “test record” test for channel separation, etc.
For my cartridge, the heavy end of the recommended vtf sounds significantly better.

2 Likes

That does not even get you in the ball park. A protractor is a must for pivoted tonearms

Read this very old thread more carefully. I was surprised with vee’s comment. I have the right tools. So does vee, actually. We both have the AS SmartTractor. That said, the Technics device is really good if you want to use the headshell that comes with it.

A fine turntable, open and airy sounding to these ears.

I want one too, well maybe…

Rega 0.4 nm Torque wrench

Also running my RP-10 in “skeleton mode” without surround and modified the plinth (gently) to accept the P10 dust cover. Also installed proper cartridge tags (Cardas palladium or some such) which required some steady hands to solder those mothers on there. And, the stock feet were pitched in favor of some Isoacoustics Orea feet and a Herbie’s special platter mat to lose that nasty felt thing. I love Rega products and their customer service, but what’s wrong with a “few” tweaks? Almost forgot the Groovetracer counterweight. I think those are the “only” changes made to a great TT.

And… of course the rig feeds a Rega Aura phono stage. What a piece of audio art that thing is.

2 Likes

I don’t understand who you can say the Technics device is really good when it is a crude overhang adjustment and does nothing to assist the user with position the cartridge for 2 point tangency. It is better than nothing but that is about as far as it goes!

You are in an ugly mood in this thread.
To what end?

2 Likes

I have never heard the Rega Aura, but I have heard good things about it. My stock P8 feeds a Luxman 509X direct. I do have an Achromat for it, so technically it is not stock. Typically the achromat is not used, I just run it stock and don’t fret it. :grinning:

1 Like

What is ugly about stating a fact? I don’t get that at all.

Lots say exactly what you’re saying, but you’ll have to see for yourself, and not harass me. Use your best tools and then compare. I don’t think I’ve gone that far, myself. Other stuff to do, but tell ya what, I’ve gone the speedy route (with the original Technics headshell the tool expects), and it is way better than most would guess. Nerd perfect? Doubt it.

Again, my tools: AS SmartTractor, AS SmartStylus, and even an old MoFi Geodisc. Only use the first two, and scales…and micro-photography (at least close ups with a good cell phone). Spent a good 2-3 hours ensuring my last stylus was dialed-in. It’s Lofgren B, or maybe UNI-Din…can’t recall for certain. SmartTractor is killer in this way.

1 Like

What is it suddenly with this forum that some guys are so touchy. I am not and have not harrassed anybody. I in the past have owned a few technics turntables that came with that gauge. I have used it and than checked with a db systems protractor. You may be satisfied with where it located your stylus. It is not good enough for me. The Technics headshell utilizes a rubber washer that gets compressed when locked into place on the tonearm. When you slip it into the gauge there is no such compression. That is all I am trying to say.

2 Likes

I don’t use it either. Very rarely. I broke out my Dynavector the other day and used it. Heh.

1 Like