Cavernous Stellar?

Yeah, that’s kinda what I expected to see in the SGCD. But I guess all designs are different. The SGCD has a really solid rep, so I’m sure it’s pretty good…caverns or not.

I think it was Walker from Walker Audio who said the more junk you put in it, the worse it will sound. You lose 5% sound quality for every extra piece you put in it. The best sounding is the simplest and shortest signal path.

Solid-wise…report back when you get it and lift it out of the box. :+1:t2:

S300 is nice and clean

M700 I’m not finding a pic but it should have even less

One of (possibly the) main electronics companies here has recently issued a phono stage. The Stellar weighs 9.8kg. This one weighs 657g. It is fully balanced, mm/mc with 8 step gain on both and 12 step inductance. It is 472 cm3 compared to 11,720 cm3 for the Stellar, so you could fit 2 dozen Huei’s in the space of one Stellar and the Stellar weighs 14 times as much. It runs off a 12v power supply. There are always at least two ways to skin a cat.

Congrats!! Got a black one myself pared with ARC Ref 6, magical combi.

Got it today. Yep, it’s a pretty damn solid unit. I don’t know if it’s more so than my Emotiva mono-blocks, but it seems well built. Got it hooked up, but only have a Bluetooth adapter and using iTunes from my iPhone right now. Sounds very clean even with the crap signal. It takes a bit up the volume level to get loud, but considering I just went from using a Sprout100 as my preamp…I have some experimenting to do…

Eyeballing that Pre as well…stop me before I go broke! ; )

Well, you know there’s even “less” going on in a monoblock, haha. Just one of those big heavy donuts in each one ; ). In case you’re not getting my usual unsubtle irony, see the tilted picture of Cary monoblock above. 90 lbs. each. Hernia box with big bottles on top. And you don’t even get a cover!?! …Again, topology, etc. Rest from your Labors and enjoy the GCD this weekend!

I used to wonder why audio manufacturers could not make products smaller in size. Why couldn’t we economize on those empty spaces and make the Stellar amp in the chassis slightly larger than a shoebox?

Then it came to me that there could be some sort of customer psychology behind. Audio components are luxury spending for most people. Could there be some sort of “Size does matter” factor in play?

If we make the Stellar amp in the size of the Sprout integrated, would Paul be able to charge the same price as it is now?

Or, take the shoebox-sized Bel Canto REF500S power amplifier. You would expect a component generally requires a more massive transformer to output higher power. Would the customer have a concern that such smaller sized components may not have enough power output capacity to drive his loudspeakers?

While such pre-conception will be dismissed after one has actually auditioned the subject audio component, but customer psychology could have a role to play with the entry ticket.

Personally, I would like components with small chassis, and not having one stacking upon the other. Another reason we need to conserve resources is that the modern world’s pre-occupation with sales and profitability is quickly destroying our planet. Just look at the temperature recorded by various countries during summer this year.

Yes, audio is too insignificant to play an important role, but it is the little effort from everyone that counts. Someday I am gonna write to Nelson Pass to ask him to do less of those heat-generating Class A design but team up with Paul to do more energy-efficient Class D design.

Steven, if it would be fully balanced, it had balanced inputs, like the Linn Uphorik, Elac PPA-2 or Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL.

However you compare it to the Stellar Phono Preamp and that also has a balanced output only. So your comparison is still correct.

I believe the common mode noise rejection of balanced inputs benefit the vulnerable MC cartridge low output signal most. Considering the price, the space and usually typical balanced connection methods promoted in Paul’s videos I was rather disappointed / surprised the balanced input was not included in the Stellar Phono Preamp.

just saw your post there. jumpin in to tell you I am using a Ref6, in conjunction with a pair of ref160m. Ref6 is the most transparent preamp sound I have ever heard (I have never heard the ref10). Traded my Pass Labs XP30 for this one. Believe it or not, the XP30 was “warmer” and the bass less defined than the Ref6. I think you really are going to enjoy it.

Just a word of caution: as with all other ARC products, 20a power cord needed… And as with most tube preamp, it wont match well with input impedance lower than 20kohms. this could be a problem (and for me it was) if you try to hook a sub in parallel with the amp.

Yeah - its a Keeper. Running it into a Vitus amp now - fab combo : )

Not sure what you’re saying about impedance?

Although the Ref6 output impedance is of about 600ohms (balanced), and 300ohm (SE), ARC recommends the preamp not to be hooked to an amp with an input impedance lower than 20kohms, specially if you use both output connectors at the same time.

The input impedance of the ARC amps are high (ref160m is 300kohms). But some others amps (including subwoofers) have lower numbers, which may pose a problem. I ran into trouble when connecting my SVS subs to the preamp, together with the 160m. Suddenly, the sound became thin and lifeless. Had to connect the subs to my DACs second output. Life is great again.

I dont know the input impedance of your vitus audio amp. But, should it be lower than 20kohms, if I were you I would contact ARC to ensure full compatibility.

Look at this excerpt from the manual:
Two pairs of BAL/SE main outputs are provided. The outputs are connected in parallel. If using both outputs simultaneously, the combined input impedance of the amplifier(s) being driven by the Reference 6 must be greater than or equal to 20k Ohms.

Hope it helps.

Great - I’ve got it now - thanks!

Vitus RS-100 is 100K Ohms : )

Since I started this thread allow me to update now that I have had my SGCD for about a month now. I really don’t care so much about whats inside because this thing sounds AWESOME! Went from a Sprout100 (which I still LOVE in my second system) to the Stellar (with Emotiva mono-block amps). The sound quality is fantastic and the build quality, to me, seems very solid indeed.
Do I still wonder a bit about the cost = parts thing? A bit, but if it sounds like this…I’m not questioning it so much anymore…

4 Likes

What’s the SGCD? I thought this thread was about Audio Research, LOL (fun reading)
(I do have a SGCD, combined with M700 monoblocks and do like what I am hearing, but also have older Conrad Johnson tubes and love those too)

3 Likes

Good that you found out that the SGCD does sound great.

1 Like