Checking in

Paul, really? Might we ask the reason for her departure? I think I speak for all when I say she had always been a pleasure to deal with and a great POC for the company.

Mayoura was a valued team member for many years and she will and is being missed. She just decided to move on. Her choice.

Understood. If your paths happen to cross please pass along my (I’ll say our collective) thanks for all her help.

A big +1

Yep. Big loss.

How much power does the amp consume at idle?

If it is on, idles at about 80 watts. When it is in standby, much less, about 20.

Actually, the idle power consumption when operative with the tubes on is about 150W. This is based on my prototype of 3. Mine does not have the standby reduced power consumption feature. However, I would estimate this to be some 60-80W. The exact amount will be easy for PS to measure with their wattmeter.

BHK

How much time, if any, from out of standby mode to ultimate sound quality?

Not more than half an hour. I fire it up after always on in idle and within 30 minutes or so we’re good to go.

st50maint said How much power does the amp consume at idle?
Actually, the idle power consumption when operative with the tubes on is about 150W. This is based on my prototype of 3. Mine does not have the standby reduced power consumption feature. However, I would estimate this to be some 60-80W. The exact amount will be easy for PS to measure with their wattmeter.

BHK

BHK,

Paul wrote the following in one of his daily emails:

“In the case of our new BHK Signature power amplifier, slated for release this spring, the answer is 40 watts per channel (High, Class AB bias). Which means that for the first 40 watts of power delivered to the loudspeaker, the amp is a true class A device”

In the 40 watts class A accurate?

Only sort of, it’s actually about twice that because I forgot each side of the outputs (there are two per channel) draws about 40 watts, which I why Bascom corrected me and showed the amp actually idles at about 150 watts.

st50maint said BHK,

Paul wrote the following in one of his daily emails:

“In the case of our new BHK Signature power amplifier, slated for release this spring, the answer is 40 watts per channel (High, Class AB bias). Which means that for the first 40 watts of power delivered to the loudspeaker, the amp is a true class A device”

In the 40 watts class A accurate?

Paul McGowan said Only sort of, it's actually about twice that because I forgot each side of the outputs (there are two per channel) draws about 40 watts, which I why Bascom corrected me and showed the amp actually idles at about 150 watts.
Paul, are you saying that the first 80 watts per channel are class A?
st50maint said Paul, are you saying that the first 80 watts per channel are class A?
Methinks that's exactly what he's saying.

:)

It was an the good Dr. King has sent me a note that I am incorrect by the traditional standards and that true class A operation on the amp is far less, despite the fact of the many watts of constant idle current running the amp. I’ll get clarification soon and let you know. I want to make sure we’re all talking about the same thing.

Bottom line, I would trust Bascom’s thinking on this before mine.

How about heat? How much heat does the amp generate? Typically a problem with class A.

edorr said How about heat? How much heat does the amp generate? Typically a problem with class A.
The heat sinks get quite warm but not hot - I know that is not a formal quantification in heat units. Naturally on a hot summer day when the inside temp of the house is hot, the heat sinks will now start to feel pretty hot to the touch. The amp draws 150W from the AC line at idle the majority of this being dissipated in the heat sinks. As a matter of interest, if this amp was true or "God's Class A" into just 8 Ohms, each channel would have to idle at 400-500W. That would require major large heat sinks and most likely forced air cooling. As a matter of interest, the Hybrid Class A amp that I designed for Infinity years ago was true class A up to clipping into 8 Ohm loads at 150W output. Each heat sink was forced air cooled and dissipated about 300W.

BHK

What was the answer regarding the exact Wattage of class A? Is it in fact 40 watts?

emailists said What was the answer regarding the exact Wattage of class A? Is it in fact 40 watts?
It is about 1W into an 8 Ohm load. Every increase of idling current of a factor of 1.414 will increase the class A power by a factor of 2. By doing this, it will quickly increase the heat sink temperature to values that will shorten the life of the components inside the amp. As I have said in a previous post, the sound of this circuit is surprisingly independent of the actual idling current and class A power within reason and the idling current it is set at makes for exceptional sound and reliability.

BHK

BHK said
edorr said How about heat? How much heat does the amp generate? Typically a problem with class A.

The heat sinks get quite warm but not hot - I know that is not a formal quantification in heat units. Naturally on a hot summer day when the inside temp of the house is hot, the heat sinks will now start to feel pretty hot to the touch. The amp draws 150W from the AC line at idle the majority of this being dissipated in the heat sinks. As a matter of interest, if this amp was true or “God’s Class A” into just 8 Ohms, each channel would have to idle at 400-500W. That would require major large heat sinks and most likely forced air cooling. As a matter of interest, the Hybrid Class A amp that I designed for Infinity years ago was true class A up to clipping into 8 Ohm loads at 150W output. Each heat sink was forced air cooled and dissipated about 300W.

BHK

Thanks. I had pure class A mono’s at 200wpc, probably dissipating 400-500w each at idle, which was just a bit too much for my room in summer. I should be OK with 150w.