Clicking/popping noise on Directstream DAC

It is also best if the Roon core is not connected wirelessly to the network. It works much better if there is a cat5 connection between the core, music, and player.

It is also best to give Roon as many cores as you can in the settings > library > background audio and > on demand audio.

1 Like

Do you find that the Bridge II sounds better than the Innuos connected via USB?

It seems that the Bridge II and the Innuos are filling the same role, so maybe the Bridge II is redundant.

Baldy and fdreed also have some great advice on troubleshooting.

As for setting up a separate network, I think it’s possible, though pretty involved. I’d recommend we run some more testing and troubleshooting and if it seems that would be helpful we can go down that rabbit hole.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. You guys are great.

Shroedster, I have made many of the modifications in Roon which were suggested. I plan to spend time listening over the weekend to see if they help. Also, I understand that the Bridge is somewhat redundant with my Innuous but think the Bridge ll sounds better than the USB connection. I’ll be listening to that over the weekend too, and changing from a USB to Ethernet connection to compare further.

Previously, some have suggested returning the Bridge and getting a Matrix-x spdif 2, so that’s another option. Of course, I wouldn’t be able to hear the Matrix until after returning the Bridge (guess I could always get another Bridge ll—or possibly Bridge lll—some time later if I wanted ). I’d be interested in any feedback comparing the Bridge ll/ethernet connection to the Matrix.

In case I want to go that way, the Matrix only seems available on eBay and from China sellers (the manufacturer is out of stock). Haven’t been able to find the power supply anywhere. I’m a little uneasy about buying from a private seller on eBay in case there’s a defect or I need tech. support. Be nice to resolve the Bridge issues now and possibly think about the Matrix in the future.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense re: the Matrix. Buying something from mystery eBay sellers is not something I’m ever keen on. Perhaps some of the folks on the forums have taken the gamble and have a recommendation on who to work with.

Regarding returning the Bridge II or not, don’t stress on timeline. We want to help you get everything working fully to your satisfaction, so we’re happy to extend the return window while we continue to help in that endeavor.

Keep us posted on how things go over the weekend!

For me the beauty of Bridge2 is that i can easily change the way my system sounds. The differences between usb and Bridge2 ethernet can be heavily modified by cables and other gear like Matrix spdif2. Then you can use hdmi to further improve sound with cables.And using Emosafe en-70e ethernet isolator after your switch. Then you can play with different sounding ethernet cables before and after it.

So,what im trying to say is that you can get good sound both usb and ethernet,but need to do a lot of tweaking :slight_smile:

I hope you can solve those clicks and pops.Check all your pc and Roon audio settings as stated before .But the best sound will come out where you pay the most attention,usb or ethernet :blush:

What comes to power supplys for Matrix spdif 2,there are many good choices. Uptone Audio,Paul Hynes,Sotm,Sbooster,Hdplex…

Some weekend listening observations: the ticking and popping still occur when using the bridge/Ethernet connection. Haven’t been hearing it so far via usb. Listening is not as straightforward as it may sound —the noises sometimes happen at intervals of minutes or seconds and sometimes at intervals of 20 minutes or longer, plus the variables of dsd vs. non dsd and usb vs. bridge. I’ve made many of the Roon adjustments recommended on this board but the problem still exists. Got an email this morning from PS Audio customer support saying that they’re working with engineering and not to worry about the 30 day trial deadline. The DS sounds great in both configurations, although I prefer the bridge (in between the pops). Very impressed with the support from P.S. Audio.

Glad to read, that USB does not pop and click when Ethernet is disconnected.
Regarding SQ of Bridge vs. USB: as mentioned above I use a dedicated Network Player / Roon Endpoint and decent cables in-between the Innuos and the DAC. To my ears USB sounded better than direct Ethernet to the bridge. I ended up with removing the bridge.
What I want to say: don’t send the DAC back to early, you can get USB (or any input) to sound great with this machine.