Compare high resolution files through DMP or Melco N1A

Did anyone have a chance to compare the sound quality of music files especially high resolution ones through DMP vs the Melco N1A (directly connected to my DS DAC Jr/Bridge with ethernet cable)?

I have a full PS Audio system, except speaker and transporter (currently my older Cambridge Audio 840C CD player). I am tempting to upgrade my transporter to DMP, but wondering about the benefit ratio. I only have about 250 physical CDs left, don’t have any SACD/DVDA since I don’t have a player to play them, and I have about 1100 albums on Melco N1A. I guess I have two options, one is to rip all my CDs to Melco N1A and continue to purchase downloads, or buy a DMP and purchase SACD for high-resolution files and maybe continue to purchase downloads for CD-quality sounds.

Any comments are appreciated.

The N1A is a very good server with excellent sound. While I am certain the DMP will beat it, the bulk of your albums are on a server already.

I suggest continuing to rip everything to the N1A and waiting for the release of Octave in its various iterations. The Octave server in particular will likely be just the thing for you and PS Audio will likely accept the N1A as a trade-in (they have a very generous trade-in program).

Elk said

The N1A is a very good server with excellent sound. While I am certain the DMP will beat it, the bulk of your albums are on a server already.

I suggest continuing to rip everything to the N1A and waiting for the release of Octave in its various iterations. The Octave server in particular will likely be just the thing for you and PS Audio will likely accept the N1A as a trade-in (they have a very generous trade-in program).

What is the “Octave” server? I’m hoping a PS Audio server with i2s output? If so, hope it doesn’t have ancient mechanical hard drives in there. Running Roon Core and built in wifi… Well one can hope…

I think I2S is almost certain. Internal storage likely optional. Paul has said “no Roon” on multiple occasions.

Internal storage will be standard. Looking at 2TB ancient mechanical drive, but replaceable in the field. If you want to spend the money for an SSD, be our guest. I don’t find it worth the money, personally. It is simply for storage. The operating system and all that matters to sound quality is all SSD and built in.

All the usual suspects for outputs will be available: I²S, USB, S/PDIF, AES/EBU.

Paul ,

Thank you. I’m looking forward to my PS Audio digital front end. Maybe I was a little hasty on the platter drive but at least you are giving customers the choice and ability to replace with an ssd if they desire.

any plans for a wifi option ?

Yup.

I know it’s a delicate one Paul but - approx MRSP?

He has stated in the past $6K is a rough approximation. Cheaper is possible but don’t count on it.

1 Like