Compelling

Language aside, no woman with whom I have been involved would even remotely put up with this in any context. Ever.

And she would never be asked to do so; I would never say anything even vaguely similar.

Elk, people are different, she may have a sense of humor, she knows the source, and it may be one of those things, that she hates, but loves him for it. I seldom swear in front of women, in fact, I am often surprised at their use, once they drop their best behavior. If he said he slapped her around, or something like that I would be right there with you.

Tabascocat, Oh, be nice, he [T-cat] may be smarter than you think. I have this crazy theory. I think dogs, and cats understand everything we say. They decided to never speak, and by doing so, we feed them, take care of their every need. If I could live with someone like me, or you. You have good taste in movies. I would be happy to be a dog. Being a human is not easy, even those with the golden spoons, aren’t always happy. Today I woke up in severe pain, neck, and back. Took my prescribed 40mg of oxys, and laid down on the couch, the dog stepped up, he has unusually long legs for his breed. Laid next to me, put his head on my chest and we both nodded off. I woke up facing all my concerns, all he wanted was a treat. Something that costs about $2.50 a lb. Yup, if we reincarnate, I want to be a dog in the USA.

Have you seen Barfly? It was before Rourke went off the deep end. When he meets Wanda [Duneaway] she says, not sure it is a direct quote.

Wanda: “Just one thing, I don’t want to fall in love” and something else.

Henry: “Don’t worry, nobody’s ever loved me yet”.

When he trying to provoke Frank Stallone’s character, maybe the only movie that he didn’t suck in.

Henry: " come close, I want you to hear this" He leans in “Your Mother’s c*#t smells like carpet cleaner”. Fight soon ensues.

They are skid row drunks, but the dialogue is so good. The way Rourke walks and talks, even his appearance is spot on. The musical connection is that he listens to classical on the radio, loves it. I don’t do it justice, with the quotes. If you liked Blue Velvet, you will like Barfly.

primary_EB19870210PEOPLE812229998AR.jpg

1 Like

Elk, I hope that I did not offend you. Trust me, my crass sense of humor does not offend my wife, and the language definitely does not. While she now finds that particular joke annoying, it is only because she has heard it 1000 times. The first 100 times, she was amused. I oversold her annoyance by saying she “hates” it.

Jeff is right. She gets a good laugh with me at times and at me other times. But she is always laughing.

I know you said no context would make it acceptable, but I will try. My wife is a “roll with the punches”-type of girl, and I love her for it. In the past, she managed boxers. About ten years ago when she was breaking into the industry, she infuriated Don King by not bowing at his feet. She heard through friend that Don exclaimed, “Who in the f$#K does this bitch in Ocala think she is?” My wife was so flattered that she got a rise out of Don King, she changed her business cards to read: “The bitch in your corner.” She still has a hat with “BITCH” embroidered across the front, as well as a jacket. She wanted a jacket for me that read: “Bitch’s Bitch.”

Jeff, I will check out Barfy. It seems like my type of movie. You too appear to have good taste in movies (or at least my taste … which is good). Finally, thank you for attempting to explain my wife’s take on my twisted sense of humor. It is not for everyone, but she names it as one of the reasons she married me. She tries not to laugh, because my jokes rise from the gutter, but undoubtedly she laughs everyday.

tabascocat1994 said Elk, I hope that I did not offend you.
Not offended, I am thick-skinned. I am simply expressing that I have a vastly different view on how to treat women.

Let’s get back to music before someone brings Nazis into the discussion. :slight_smile:

Elk, all those movies have soundtracks, I know, it’s a stretch, but it is how we got there. The Roy Orbison tunes in “Blue Velvet” make the movie, and probably introduced Roy to whole different group of people.

The “Fire Walk With Me” soundtrack is some really compelling music. And you don’t need to see the movie to appreciate the soundtrack. Goes from creepy to beautiful, and back again. See if it is on Tidal, I am assuming you have Tidal, give it a listen.

Tabascocat is alright, who do I see to get my commission on the BHK preamp?

@Elk

Before climbing up on your high horse, think about what you are about to say. My wife would find your behavior patronizing and disrespectful. I say this because by your own words it appears you “treat women” differently than men. If not, you simply would have said that you would not speak to anyone (not just women) in this manner.

Every pot has a lid. I treat my wife as my best friend. It works well for us. You do not need to like it. Frankly, you do not need to comment on it.

Well there… I said my piece and did not even bring up Nazis.

1 Like
tabascocat1994 said . . . it appears you "treat women" differently than men.
No, I would not subject a man to such a demeaning comment any more than I would a woman. However, the topic of your post to which I was responded was your treatment of a woman. I responded in context.

To expand slightly on my brief comment, I am not amused by “humor” based on cruelty and insults, and swearing is not inherently funny. I accordingly do not find the original movie dialogue clever, much less amusing. It is easy, base, lowest common denominator humor.

Frankly, you do not need to comment on it.
You posted in a public forum, thus making comments on your post fair game. If opposing views upset you, do not post. That is, if you wish to keep how you treat your wife private, do not tell us about it.

Again, I suggest returning to music - a topic of much greater relevance.

Could we get back on topic? This has gotten a little too…compellingtmi_gif in the train-wreck sense.

Maybe the movie soundtrack discussions can go here:

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/music-forum/music-in-film-and-video/#p77025

And feel free to start or join a forum somewhere else to argue about women. Thanks!

Totally agreed. Sorry for the diversion.

jeffstarr said Elk, all those movies have soundtracks, I know, it's a stretch, but it is how we got there.
Absolutely fine and completely appropriate; movie soundtracks often include superb music.

One example I find fascinating is the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. The gunshots and other percussive sounds were scored first as a percussion sound track. The combat sounds were then substituted. One can hear the musicality of the environmental sounds when listening to the soundtrack with this in mind.

Another soundtrack I find compelling is the music incorporated into Pulp Fiction. At the time of its release, the reviewers raved over the dialogue but paid little attention to the score. Subsequent articles have addressed the score in detail.

badbeef said Could we get back on topic? This has gotten a little too.....compelling in the train-wreck sense.
:)

OK - I guess soundtracks are fair game - I actually meant when it turns into a discussion of favorite movies and TV shows.

Agreed.

Sometimes comments should be held back, see where a thread goes, that we talked a bit about the dialogue, was no big deal, if you liked Pulp Fiction, I kind of remember that was R - rated. I watched Barfly last night, it has been a few years. I had forgotten how good the soundtrack was. I don’t think it is available separately, but I found it online. Check out the mix of styles.

Soundtrack Credits

Hip Hug-Her By Steve Cropper, Booker T. Jones, Al Jackson Jr. and Donald Dunn Published by Irving Music, Inc. (DMI) Performed by Booker T. & the M.G.s Courtesy of Atlantic Recording Corp. By Arrangement with Warner Special Products
Nine Below Zero By Sonny Boy Williamson Published by Arc Music Corp. (BMI) Performed by The Nighthawks Courtesy of Adelphi Records
Silver Threads Among the Gold Music by H.P. Danks and lyrics by Eben E. Rexford Arranged by Lou Ukelson Published by Jimmy Skinner Music (BMI) Performed by Shot Jackson and Friends Courtesy of Vetoo Records
Hair Street By John Lurie Published by Barking Lady Music (BMI) Performed by The Lounge Lizards Courtesy of Island Records
25th Piano Concerto in C. K603 By Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Courtesy of Supraphon Records, Prague
Poem of Ecstasy By Alexander Scriabin Courtesy of Supraphon Records, Prague
Exsultate, Jubilate, K166 By Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Courtesy of Regent Recorded Music
Piano Concerto No. 4 By Ludwig van Beethoven Courtesy of Supraphon Records, Prague
Born Under a Bad Sign By Booker T. Jones and William Bell Published by Irving Music, Inc. Performed by Albert King Courtesy of Atlantic Recording Corp. By Arrangement with Warner Special Products
The Sermon By Jimmy Smith Published by Edmy Music Publishing Company (BMI) Performed by Jimmy Smith Courtesy of Blue Note Records Under license from Manhattan Records, a division of Capitol Records, Inc.
Theme for Ernie By Fred Lacey Published by Presitge Music (BMI) Performed by John Coltrane Courtesy of Fantasy, Inc.
Reed Shuffle written by Stefan Grossman & Paul Jones published by KPM/APM (ASCAP) courtesy of Associated Production Music
That Man Is Forward written & performed by Rico Rodriguez published by Anglo Rock, Inc. (BMI)/Rock Music Co. Ltd. (PRS) courtesy of Chrysalis Records, Ltd.
Leroy's Blues written by Stefan Grossman & Paul Jones published by KPM/APM (ASCAP) courtesy of Associated Production Music
Shaker Loops written by John Adams performed by The Ridge Quartet used by arrangement with Associated Music Publishers, Inc. (BMI) courtesy of New Albion Records, Inc.
Sixth Symphony (The Tragic) written by Gustav Mahler courtesy of Supraphon Records, Prague
Trio in B Flat, Op. 97 (The Archduke) written by Ludwig van Beethoven courtesy of Supraphon Records, Prague
Symphonie Conercertante for 2 Violins and Orchestra written by Karl Stamitz performed by Chamber Orchestra of the Sarre courtesy of Musidisc
Concerti Grossi Op. 6/4 in A Minor written by George Frideric Handel courtesy of Supraphon Music, Prague
The New Albion Chorale written & performed by Terry Riley published by Ancient Word Music (BMI) courtesy of Celestial Harmonies
The Hunter written by Booker T. Jones, Carl Wells, Al Jackson Jr., Steve Cropper & Donald Dunn performed by Albert King published by Irving Music, Inc. (BMI) courtesy of Atlantic Recording Corp. by arrangement with Warner Special Products
1 Like

In the spirt of the OP, listen to Sidney Bechet, “Blue Horizon.” I don’t have words for the effect this song has on me. Please God hear my prayer!

1 Like
jeffstarr said Sometimes comments should be held back, see where a thread goes, that we talked a bit about the dialogue, was no big deal . . .
I do not think anyone had any problem with the recitation of dialogue per se, other than it was getting far, far off-topic; favorite movies and dialogue are not relevant to the thread. Even given how much we meander within topics.

Comments are, however, always welcome. You post, you invite comments. People may agree with you. They may disagree. Your opinion may not be shared by others. It may be hailed as brilliant. It is the nature of discourse. It is a risky, scary world. And all of the animals in the jungle have keyboards.

This is not an echo chamber of single-opinion members. We are vastly more diverse than this. Of course, you may disagree and opine we all share the same views. :slight_smile:

I believe we have more than covered this and it is killing the thread. If you feel there is more to be said, please start a thread elsewhere.

Nah, you just proved my point, by writing 4 more paragraphs that took it back off course.

We were back on track as of posts 29 and 30. And then came your post 34, re-stirring the proverbial pot…

If your point is this thread can yet again be driven off course, you are correct; you accomplished this.

Let it go. Please.

Let’s get back to the topic - which started out quite interestingly:

What do you find compelling, and why? What music, what performance, what reproduction?

Aaaaand, back to our original programming…

For me, I find very little more compelling that a single guitar, acoustic or electric. Each guitar sounds a little different with each person playing it a little differently from everyone else. The possibilities are endless in terms of pitch, tone, rhythm, etc. A few favorites: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mark Knofler, Andy Summers, Tommy Emmanuel, Jimmy Page, Mike McCready, Josh Homme, Ian Thornley. As a matter of fact, I missed seeing Larry Cranston live yesterday in Richmond, VA (wife didn’t want to go since she’d just returned from NYC) and now I’m a little sick about it since he is such an amazing guitarist. I guarantee if you don’t know who he is that you’ve probably liked one of his guitar solos at some point without knowing who was playing. Look him up.

I would think we all find the human voice, when in total control by the singer, to be incredibly gripping. Near the top of the list is Thom Yorke of Radiohead. For reference, listen to “Exit Music (for a film)” on OK Computer. He wrote that for the fairly recent version of “Romeo and Juliet” with DiCaprio and that song absolutely puts you in the suicide scene. I can think of very few singers with his ability to convey the entire spectrum of human emotion at will. If he sings it, you believe it. As much as I enjoy groups like Pentatonix for their incredible skill, I don’t necessarily feel emotion when I listen to them. I hear technique, which can absolutely be gripping in it’s own right. I just know I won’t be overcome with emotion listening to Pentatonix like I will with Thom Yorke and Radiohead. Amazed and engrossed, yes, but not overcome.

I’ve thought long and hard about this question. . . . I think for me it boils down to “storytelling” with music. The expression of the performer taking me on a little journey, communicating to me instrumentally as well as vocally. When the “story” grabs me it’s compelling. Getting to know the story-tellers that I like, their narrative skills, the emotion in their stories, this learning process I find compelling as well.

1 Like