Coronavirus noticeboard

Nice!
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 11.09.52 AM

3 Likes

I’ll put in another plug for my favorite book for the times. I first read it last summer, so when this Covid thing started moving, we stocked up in early Feb. and prepared the bunker…

An appropriate subtitle might have been: “S**t Happens.” It covers earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, pandemics, and all sorts of natural disasters. Cliff’s notes summary: you can’t avoid catastrophes but you can avoid being surprised by them.

But from the indicated availability, it looks like the word has gotten out . .

Thanks.

I wrote a manual for my wife well before all this happened. I pray that she’ll never have to use it.

She says that if I’m not around, that’s EXACTLY when she’ll need comforting music.

1 Like

Im fully with you and I think for the medical staff this situation must really feel like such a very serious, stressing and out of control situation for all the hours of a day.

What I would differentiate is how people in this situation feel and how politicians try to use the war scenario for distinguishing themselves.

You can see this at the Italy example. We read about the staff feeling like in a war…that was it…nothing more.

Besides despotic regimes who usually quickly fall into strong war rhetoric, I think in general populations of countries which are frequently involved in war situations also have a tendency to positively respond to such rhetoric, which is comprehensible to an extent.

I would start to worry if she makes any inquiries about the life insurance situation. COVID-19 may, or may not, be the source of her motivation.

:upside_down_face:

Ha yeah I’m watching my coffee :wink:

1 Like

1 Like

Kinda gotta say that I’m getting tired of “The US Has Herpes” Map. OK if you zoom in, I suppose.

But what, we keep going until the radius of the NYC Circle reaches Idaho? Can’t just change the scale now, or it might lead to irrational exuberance. “The Circles are all Way Smaller Today!”

Assuming there must be some way of illustrating it that is more relevant and informative for the current and ongoing situation, but that’s not my area. Map/Stats people…thoughts?

One of my son’s favorites from when he was a kid. We’re pretty broken up right now.

Yeah, so sad. Gonna spin Welcome Interstate Managers tonight.

@badbeef This one is a little more interactive

The states that obviously don’t have a lot of international travelers also have very low case counts.

1 Like

Coloradans can access some very granular info here. Updated daily at 4 PM:
https://covid19.colorado.gov/case-data

Local news seems to be getting better. I’m assuming that the spike in late March is due to the rollout of expanded testing:

Thanks, Howard. Yeah - I check this site, which is part of the reason the map of the US with the red circles on it seems less and less relevant and informative, and more like an eyeball-grabbing panic-inducer. “Eeek, the Big Red Circle has spread way out!” But of course there is no direct relationship between the geographic spread of infection and the physical area of the map covered by a given circle🤷🏻‍♂️

If you’re fortunate enough to have a supply of N-95 masks, here are some approved ways of disinfecting them for reuse.

Decontamination and Reuse of Filtering Facepiece Respirators using Contingency and Crisis Capacity Strategies

Disposable filtering facepiece respirators (FFRs) are not approved for routine decontamination and reuse as standard of care. However, FFR decontamination and reuse may need to be considered as a crisis capacity strategy to ensure continued availability. Based on the limited research available, ultraviolet germicidal irradiation, vaporous hydrogen peroxide, and moist heat showed the most promise as potential methods to decontaminate FFRs. This document summarizes research about decontamination of FFRs before reuse.

1 Like

There are people and nonprofits who have been studying the ecology of human and animal interactions in the spread of disease. This has a huge role to play in the prevention of pandemics.

1 Like

An article about the President of Ecohealth Alliance:

Likely role played by pangolins https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/science/pangolin-coronavirus.amp.html

I hope whatever the connection it makes the folks who poach these critters think twice and leave them be. Would be nice if some good could come out of this.

1 Like