Darko Review - Part 2

I see that in the conversations post review on the JD website he refers to firmware 1.19.

Is this a new version or was it a mistake?

Very thoughtful and articulate post, Magister.

Have you had an opportunity to listen to good vinyl playback itself recorded by a good ADC? If so, does it retain vinyl’s relaxation or does it instill a digital edginess?

Michael Fremer opines that vinyl playback recorded by a Tascam DV-RA1000 pro mastering deck retains vinyl’s superior sound. He has oft reported taking these CDs to shows had receiving many positive comments on how these sound better than the CD release itself.

I suspect two things are going on. First, recordings are mastered differently to vinyl, especially by limiting dynamic range and often reducing the bass. Second, vinyl’s transient response is minutely relaxed.

I think JD nailed it, the DS lacks the propulsive force of live music.

On the analog vs digital discussion I believe that no matter how sensible the reasons may be seen from an individual side of it, it needs to be seen in context of a broader interpretation, i.e. one need to address the public universal impression of the meaning of those terms despite that they may be wrong or inaccurate. The same apply to tube sounding as others mentioned.

We all know that ‘Xerox it’ means to take a paper copy. Still if the expression is inaccurate (pointing at the leading printer brand back then) we still knows what it means in general terms. To change this (i.e. educate the public) for a better, common reference would be quite a challenge.

I think he missed it actually. When you listen to a live recording on DS that has life, like Neils Lofgrin’s great album, it simply comes alive like no other DAC I’ve ever heard. DS is particular in that if the original recording hasn’t the energy of live music then you don’t get it - if it does, you do.

After living with both DACS a long time I remain convinced the live performances I felt were sounding ‘live’ with the PWD were actually a bit edgy relative to the actual source file and that made it 'fee’l more live.

I think JD missed the boat on that one. I’d be happy to demonstrate the difference to anyone visiting PS.

Paul McGowan said After living with both DACS a long time I remain convinced the live performances I felt were sounding 'live' with the PWD were actually a bit edgy relative to the actual source file and that made it 'fee'l more live.
I can see this. It is easy to interpret a bit of grittiness as live energy.
Elk said Have you had an opportunity to listen to good vinyl playback itself recorded by a good ADC? If so, does it retain vinyl's relaxation or does it instill a digital edginess?

I suspect two things are going on. First, recordings are mastered differently to vinyl, especially by limiting dynamic range and often reducing the bass. Second, vinyl’s transient response is minutely relaxed.

I own an NPC; I think that qualifies as a good ADC. I bought it to use as a regular phono stage and also to record some of my vinyl to digital for archival and conveniences purposes. I haven’t done as much of the latter as I had planned, partly because I have been busy this summer breaking in and getting to know a certain new DAC. I do remember listening to the first couple of vinyl rips I made and being really impressed by the overall quality–the initial impression was that it would be hard to tell the vinyl and the digital rip apart. I haven’t gone back and listened specifically for the more relaxed sound of vinyl. If I can sneak in some time tomorrow morning I will do that – very interesting question, Elk.

Your comment about vinyl’s transient response makes a lot of sense to me. You are correct, of course, about the fact that vinyl recordings are often mastered differently. I have heard good vinyl with plenty of bass and lots of dynamic range. The range is probably less than it could be on a digital version, but there is more than enough to convey what the musicians are up to. (I’m speaking mainly about newer recordings and reissues of some golden age stuff like Shaded Dogs. Back in the day it’s clear that the bass and dynamics were often limited.) But I will keep an ear open for this aspect of vinyl, as soon as I can tear myself away from the marvelous sounds coming out of the DS. I upgraded my ethernet cables and the DS is singing even more sweetly.

I fully agree, vinyl often has wonderful bass and dynamic range. It may be limited in comparison to the best digital, but it remains excellent.

Given that almost all modern vinyl recordings begin their lives as PCM, and are mixed and mastered as PCM prior to transfer to vinyl, I suspect what people are hearing as vinyl’s “sound” is a tiny softening of transient snap as a consequence that the stylus is a physical object which must move.

As a contextual note, I do not find live music to sound in any way edgy. Rather, even high energy percussive music exhibits a relaxed ease. The sound simply floats in the air.

In general I agree with you about live music, but I must say that standing or sitting too close to a brass band (indoors) is not a pleasant experience for me. Maybe my ears are just more sensitive than some people’s to such things. I remembering being in a mall once where they had a “big band” playing and I could not get away fast enough, and not because they weren’t playing well.

Perfectly reasonable. As a trumpet player I sit in front of the trombones in an orchestra. At full tilt, they can be unpleasant.