New review posted

I know this was added in another topic but probably best to start a new one for this review. While this is a very complimentary review of DirectStream I would also have to suggest it’s one of the best written reviews I’ve yet read from any reviewer. I am truly impressed with Richard’s writing. What a joy to read from someone who obviously appreciates and understands music so well. Enjoy.

It’s in 3-parts

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

One comment I have to the BitStream review is his panegyric view on the bass reproduction of the DS.

To make myself clear; I too find the bass articulate and detailed with no smear.

However, I do not find it having exceptional weight and going extremely deep in a way that excels compared with the PWD or for that matter, other DS parameters. On the contrary I see a tendency of the bass being somewhat cautious (not greater than life). The sound is so clean and uncontaminated that this in itself makes a difference. It is like driving an electric car with no engine noise which makes other sounds appear more prominent - or one have increased in-depth visibility because of no haze on your windshield. In order for the bass to shine, the associated parameters must also perform flawless.

If you want to make a strong gin tonic you either pour less tonic or more gin. The ‘result’ is the same. I prefer the latter beer_gif dancing-009_gifparty_gif

On the contrary I see a tendency of the bass being somewhat cautious (not greater than life). The sound is so clean and uncontaminated that this in itself makes a difference.
+1. Nicely put, Frode.

Although I have not yet heard the DS, I find your comments very interesting @schuerholzklump238 and beautifully worded.

Paul McGowan said I know this was added in another topic but probably best to start a new one for this review. While this is a very complimentary review of DirectStream I would also have to suggest it's one of the best written reviews I've yet read from any reviewer. I am truly impressed with Richard's writing. What a joy to read from someone who obviously appreciates and understands music so well. Enjoy.

It’s in 3-parts

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

OK, so here’s a challenge for you: Richard mentioned the $31,000 Davinci Dual sounded better in DSD playback:

The Da Vinci Dual DAC illuminates differences between PCM and DSD which the DirectStream apparently cannot.

Do you think this can be fixed on DS with a firmware upgrade?

:)

–SSW

Prolonged break-in may also help.

Frode said

To make myself clear; I too find the bass articulate and detailed with no smear.

. . .

The sound is so clean and uncontaminated that this in itself makes a difference.

I have been stating this for a good while. :)

I enjoy seeing the word panegyric. It is not commonly used.

Elk said I enjoy seeing the word panegyric. It is not commonly used.
A TAS favourite.

Ah . . . panegyric revelations.

Wait a minute. Richard didn’t have any power conditioning, right?

–SSW

Streets Still Works said
Paul McGowan said I know this was added in another topic but probably best to start a new one for this review. While this is a very complimentary review of DirectStream I would also have to suggest it's one of the best written reviews I've yet read from any reviewer. I am truly impressed with Richard's writing. What a joy to read from someone who obviously appreciates and understands music so well. Enjoy.

It’s in 3-parts

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

OK, so here’s a challenge for you: Richard mentioned the $31,000 Davinci Dual sounded better in DSD playback:

The Da Vinci Dual DAC illuminates differences between PCM and DSD which the DirectStream apparently cannot.

Do you think this can be fixed on DS with a firmware upgrade?

–SSW

Yes, oh yes indeed. I don’t want to start any kind of software war either, as Gordon suggested, but I spent the weekend at Arnie’s listening to a new round of firmware changes Ted instituted that are nothing short of stunning. Ted has managed to lower jitter, raise the filter bandwidth and achieve more air than I ever thought possible. So stay tuned.

After we’ve made out choices I will send to Gordon and beta boys, but I think this is a real winner and am excited to share it.

Hurry up!

I want the reviewers to receive it prior to making their verdicts smiley-music005_gif

Contribution of balance;

Is there one of the versions that excel on all parameters, or is it ‘take your pick’ wrt. pro’s & con’s?

Paul McGowan said

Yes, oh yes indeed. I don’t want to start any kind of software war either, as Gordon suggested, but I spent the weekend at Arnie’s listening to a new round of firmware changes Ted instituted that are nothing short of stunning. Ted has managed to lower jitter, raise the filter bandwidth and achieve more air than I ever thought possible. So stay tuned.

After we’ve made out choices I will send to Gordon and beta boys, but I think this is a real winner and am excited to share it.

I just want to remind Gordon I'm on the Beta list . . .

Might want to send a beta copy to Richard, too and see how it compares with the Davinci Dual DAC . . .

–SSW

A request:

Please trim quotes to only that which is necessary to place your comment in context. We have too many posts with large or embedded quotes (or both) which do not add anything other than to take up a great deal of space.

(Not picking on you SSW, or calling you out. This just happens to be the latest good example.)

Elk said A request:

Please trim quotes to only that which is necessary to place your comment in context. We have too many posts with large or embedded quotes (or both) which do not add anything other than to take up a great deal of space.

(Not picking on you SSW, or calling you out. This just happens to be the latest good example.)

Fixed that for you.

And Elk, you can pick on me. i’m good.

–SSW

@Ted;

It would be nice to see some detailed graphs from testing of the new software for those interested in such measurements.

Looking forward to it. happy-132_gif

Frode said @Ted;

It would be nice to see some detailed graphs from testing of the new software for those interested in such measurements.

The exercise last weekend was Aristotelian debugging, not Empirical debugging - i.e. I stared at the wall rather than doing gobs of measurements.

I realized that I might have miss simulated the main upsampling filter and that I could probably both raise it’s cutoff and make it smoother. Just to verify that I didn’t make a mistake I was checking that there wasn’t any aliasing and one explicit experiment I did was to play a 88kHz tone and check for a 200Hz tone - at the time I thought I should listen instead of just using a scope just because in general I trust my ears more than measurements, but that was a baaaaad choice this time: I blew my tweeters :slight_smile:

I can only judge jitter with my ears and without tweeters that’s a bit of a problem. Still I’ve learned things to do in the FPGA that lower jitter and apparently they worked again after I changed the filter.

The fixes I did were obvious (in hindsight) and I only needed to verify that I didn’t screw anything up when doing them. Too bad I screwed up the testing for no screw-ups.

So: no graphs…

Hello Ted,

Am I right understanding the most recent changes you have made in software have resulted in improved SQ and musical presentation.

I’m still waiting and looking forward to receiving my kit, in the meantime I’m watching on looking at everyone’s comments about the DS and reading the latest round is extremely exciting.

Cheers Johno

Johno said Hello Ted,

Am I right understanding the most recent changes you have made in software have resulted in improved SQ and musical presentation.

They should, but I can’t test them :slight_smile: I’m told they do.