DirectStream attenuation - how is it implemented?

How is the attenuation on the DirectStream (enabled via the filter button on the remote) implemented? Does playing music with attenuation enabled require a period of break-in to sound its best?

-Jeff

Sorry… Just found another threads that answers this. :-/ is it fair to say the resistors used for attenuation benefit from some period of burn-in?

1 Like

Interesting thought.

probably not. Engaging the attenuation might speed up the overall burn in process since the front end thinks it is working harder.

jtrimm said Sorry.. Just found another threads that answers this. :-/ is it fair to say the resistors used for attenuation benefit from some period of burn-in?
As Gordon hinted engaging the 20dB attenuator when not-listening but breaking the unit in will draw more current thru the analog stage and particularly thru the transformer. Whether these are the things that break-in or not I don't know for sure. Whether or not you will be using the attenuator in normal usage having it engaged during break in won't hurt.

Sorry I may be asking a really stupid question: I cannot locate the “filter” button on my remote, neither can I found any button to activate the attenuator by clicking the gear on the touch screen? Would appreciate if anybody can guide me here. Thanks!

If you have a newer (silver) remote the button is labeled “DAC Level” just above the preamp section.

If you have a DS Sr, the gear is in the upper left of the screen, on the next screen there’s a green button with two arrows pointing at each other in a circle near the center of the screen (and to the right of “Setup:”), on the next screen a button that looks the same is to the right of “Level:” When you press is “High” becomes “Low” or vice versa. Then you press the green back arrow in the bottom left two times to get back out.