DirectStream DAC and DSD play back problem

Recently downloaded the Temporary Circumstances - Download bundle and now I can’t play the DSD64 files in my DS DAC. The wav PCM files all play ok. Other DSD files I have from Blue Coast play perfectly in the same setup. All of this DSD files are DSF.

This is my system; Synology NAS with minimserver > ethernet LAN > DS DAC & bridge II > Amp. > Speakers, Control with BubbleUPnP or mcontrol. For DSD files minimserver use DoP when sending the data to the DS DAC bridge II.

I downloaded for a second time the bundle (a huge 6Gb file) and hash both which result confirm both are identical. That is the probability of a corrupt file is low, but the only way to be 100% sure is to have a hash of the original file. Unfortunately PS Audio did not provided any hash.

I need to know if any one with a similar setup can play this files (Temporary Circumstances) using DoP and minimserver.
Any ideas of what can be the cause of this problem?
Any help will be appreciated!
Update: Screen shot of mcontrol. Unsupported file format, there is something wrong with this DSD files.

Screenshot_20210121-175123|250x500

Update 2: Bit perfect test file play and got the :heavy_check_mark: so my setup is ok.

Update 3: I can play the files in Foobar2000 in my PC using SACD plugin. So now it seems that there is something different in this files that minimserver don’t handle well. The only difference I can see in foobar2000 is that this files have more information in the metadata. Time to go minimserver forum.

Update 4: I can play them from foobat2000 to my DS DAC via upnp\dlna with DoP!

Solution:
The problem was the cover image embedded in the tag of the files it was an 8MB image, to big for this. Replaced with a 947KB image and now they play normal.

This is what I get with my previous DSD files, they simply work.

I apologize but I don’t have any suggestions. Other than to try a different playback software, but that isn’t very helpful. Hopefully someone else here will have some suggestions.

This is so much frustrating, hope some one @PSAudio or @Paul can help mi with this. This DSD files may play by other means but the ONLY one I have is DoP and minimserver and they don’t play.

:rage: :sob:

Not to speak arrogantly, but do you have a Matrix-2 USB to I2S box (Sonore also makes one). I bought the SACD and play it back from my Sony UBP-X1000ES/PS Audio DirectSTream Sr. via HDMI Video to HDMI I2S Adapters. I also play DSD files via the Sony’s USB and through Audirvanna on my Music Server. When I bought the Don Grusin SACD, it also had DSD (DSF) files which played perfectly SACD or DSF files.

Sorry, I couldn’t help. But I spin discs and play files the cheapest way possible.

@rajugsw
I see you have the SACD of Temporary Circumstances did you have the download bundle to? If you have it you may help me by getting a hash of one of the DSD files and posting it here. That will help me.

For me the less expensive way was to do what I have now. I was considering to get the sonore but the bridge II was all I needed at that time and there were rumors of a bridge III and the octave, so I waited to see if I like it.

Thanks!

@oll , I only ordered the SACD. Same for the Otis Taylor Hey Joe Release. No issues with either discs.

I bought my DSSr. without the bridge on purpose since all my streaming is via DLNA connectivity (all Ethernet). Bitperfect via Audirvanna/Qobuz. For the price of a Bridge II (actually less), get a Sony UBP-X1000ES or Sony UBP-X800, the HDMI to I2S adapters, and a good quality 5VDC power supply and you are off and running. True SACD/DSD playback without DoP conversions.

1 Like

Update 3: I can play the files in Foobar2000 in my PC using SACD plugin. So now it seems that there is something different in this files that minimserver don’t handle well. The only difference I can see in foobar2000 is that this files have more information in the metadata. Time to go minimserver forum.

Update 4: I can play them from foobat2000 to my DS DAC via upnp\dlna with DoP!

Solution:
The problem was the cover image embedded in the tag of the files it was an 8MB image, to big for this. Replaced with a 947KB image and now they play normal.

1 Like

Good detective work.

1 Like

" Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question everything." - Neil deGrasse Tyson :smirk:

2 Likes

Thanks oll! Great work tracking this one down! Surely this will be helpful for others if they run into the same problem.

1 Like

Hi, my name is Javier and I’m new in PS audio forums. Yesterday, I downloaded 2 Octave albums (Temporary circumstances and Say something). I can’t reproduce them in DSD in my directstream dac (unsopported file format error). I have read, in this forum, that the problem is the size of the album cover image embedded in the tag of the files. Can anyone tell how do I change it?
Thks for your help

Try removing the SD card from the DS DAC and then reboot the DAC (power down and power up).

If the issue is metadata, then that should do the trick.

Scotte thks for your response. I have done as you told so, but the problem still persist. I can only play PCM formats

I am afraid I have exhausted my knowledge on this matter.

:slight_smile:

If someone on the forum is unable to assist today, I suggest you give the Mothership a call on Tuesday:

1-800-PSAUDIO

Good luck to you.

SEE

Hi Javier,
You need to edit the metadata (tag) of the files with a tag editor that support dsd files. I don’t remember but I think I used mp3tag. Inside the folder you downloaded from Octave you will find an smaller image about 900kb use this one to replace the original one on each file.
Let me know if this fix the problem

You’ll need to describe your full source chain in a lot more detail. The DSD doesn’t put out error messages like that, but your source probably does.

If I’m to guess, the software you’re using to play files doesn’t recognize the DSD format.

Tell us more, and we’ll guess more.

Solved!!! Thks a lot. I used mp3tag and could change the cover art for the smaller file included in the downloaded file. Thks again for your helpfull advice

2 Likes