DirectStream DAC General Discussion (was First Impressions)

@gordon

Only 2 house of sleep! Did PS Audio send you some bold coffee along with the white gloves? :stuck_out_tongue:

The volume and balance indicators on the front panel are FULL SCREEN now and wonderfully visible.[ no more binoculars]

=D>

Thanks Gordon for commenting on the volume issues. Do you have a balanced preamp or amp to test with? Someone I know with a PWD MKI who tested both felt the balanced sounded better than single ended.

@gordon

Does the DS run warmer than your PWD?

Thanks,

Bob

@emailists

No balance pre, Emmanuel Go doesnā€™t go there for some reason.

I can later compare balanced vs single direct to my amp. It is lower on my list but will get there.

nordicbob said: Does the DS run warmer than your PWD?

Yes, I believe it does.
Not hot but it is noticeable compared to PWD when you lift and touch the bottom.

Looks like Gus Skinas at Super Audio Center in Boulder has a DirectStream DAC that he is hooking up today as well in the SACD/DSD Mastering Room.

http://instagram.com/p/llC4R8mAy7/#

I was wondering were the remaining 9 of the first 10 went?

Gordon did you notice if the size and number of fuses is the same as the PWD? I think it was two 5 A in the PWD if I remember correctly

@magicknow

2 small 1A slow blow.

DS uses the same fuses.

I was so tempted to swap in my hifi Supremes. BUT first SQ tests will be stock [critical link fuses come with it] and red book CDs. After that things will get wilderā€¦

@magicknow
After that things will get wilder..

mmmm...
>:)
Looks like Gus Skinas at Super Audio Center in Boulder has a DirectStream DAC that he is hooking up today as well in the SACD/DSD Mastering Room.

A picture tells more than thousand words... ;)
oll said: mmmm...

Exactly!
Listening tonight after supper and making notes. Depending on the liquid consumption and if I can still read my notes, I will try and post a bit tonight. If not, tomorrow morning.

@magicknow
2 smakk 1A slow blow.
DS uses the same fuses.
I was so tempted to swap in my hifi Supremes. BUT first SQ tests will be stock [critical link fuses come with it] and red book CDs. After that things will get wilder..

Gordon ,

Was it as easy to open the top panel (4 screws underneath on the bottom panel and the top just slides off) as the PWD? No other things requiring removal, etc?

Thx!

Seriously? Hmmm..... I would have thought some of the first 10 would go out to the pre-orders? I was someplace about #2 in line, if I recall Mayoura telling me....

I get it though that some should get out to dealers to use as floor models.

Odd
Depending on the liquid consumption and if I can still read my notes, I will try and post a bit tonight. If not, tomorrow morning.

Ease up there Gordon. You have a responsibility to all of us patiently waiting on clear, accurate impressions. ;) Save up the good stuff for a bit later.

@oddeophile

yes. easier since, on this dac [silver] the screws on the bottom were silver, except for the four that come out which were black. not sure if that was by accident or smarts.

The first 10 dacs were spoken for long ago, Iā€™m sure, for reviews and project contributors.

Also consider parts. canā€™t set up production till ALL the parts are in. Unless you want one without a transformer?

tony22

Gee, one day Iā€™m Rodney Dangerfield with ā€œcanā€™t get no respectā€ and today Iā€™m Foster Brooks and ā€œcanā€™t get no drinkā€.

I consider it combat pay. >:)

LOL! Gordon you get the just respect you deserve. And I mean they as a comment of high respect. Rodney has left the buildingā€¦ Or, maybe landed @ my house.

Well, hereā€™s hoping the next batch of 10 spoken for are earmarked for the pre-order crowd (please, please)!!

Seriously? Hmmm..... I would have thought some of the first 10 would go out to the pre-orders? I was someplace about #2 in line, if I recall Mayoura telling me....

I get it though that some should get out to dealers to use as floor models.

Odd

It will not surprise me if Gus got it for free, he was the link connection that get together Paul and Ted...

Super Audio Center picture not showing up.

Aside from Gus being the link, as a promotional tool if the guy creating the SACDs is using the product, it will definitely help sell units.

As a side note, I was just out with a technology oriented neurologist friend that lived in Colorado for many years (who had just finally gotten into a cheap USB dac) So not only was great to be able to tell him about a new D/A that uncovers new details on CD than previously thought, but that it being made in the US. (or assembled at least) That and the new Macpro Iā€™m waiting to ship is also made or assembled in the US. I hope more companies follow that route.

adriaan said: For some strange reason the accoustics of FLAC 24 files is not very good in my system...

Do you transcode them to WAV?