Directstream Junior

I haven’t been on the forum for a while, maybe I missed something…

http://www.stereo.net.au/news/ps-audio-announce-directstream-junior

Darko posted something that includes a video with Paul: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/02/ps-audio-announce-directstream-junior-dac/

Yeah, sorry guys, been forced to keep it a secret until we were confident it would fly, we had parts to built it, etc.

We’ll launch the website version of information Friday morning (tomorrow).

Exciting stuff!

Paul has hinted a couple of times something new was coming and this must be it! He also said if you have a DS already this isn’t something of significant interest, now I see why. From the Darko piece it appears this was “accidentally” leaked, I’m sure Paul will have something to say. You would think his loyal followers (aka, us) would be the first to hear this, oh well …

Edit: Paul beat me to the punch!

Sorry guys. I had promised John the “scoop” as it’s called in newspapers - and had done so at CES - so we wanted to honor that commitment.

However, now that the cat’s out of the bag, here’s your own scoop.

Click here.

This website and the PS Audio website launch won’t be released officially until tomorrow. You get a shot before anyone else.

Let me know what you think!

The part about the DST is very interesting too. You’ve dropped hints about it Paul, but I didn’t realize it would play SACD and DVD-A and Bluray too. This is awesome. It looks like I’ll be having to shell out for a new transport next year!

Paul McGowan said Sorry guys. I had promised John the "scoop" as it's called in newspapers - and had done so at CES - so we wanted to honor that commitment.

Click here.

This website and the PS Audio website launch won’t be released officially until tomorrow. You get a shot before anyone else.

Let me know what you think!

great news I wish this new product a lot of success, so that you can go through with your other ideas ;o)

Very good presentation, Paul!

Even though I am the owner of a DS DAC, it was still very interesting to read. I think in silver (like my DS) is better than in black. And very nice figures volume on the screen DSJ and PW PreAmp. When I adjust the volume on your DS, I in addition to ugly numbers on the screen any line with the technical specifications shows, it is unclear for what? Not very nice. frown

And still not as good as the numbers flicker when adjusting the volume.

I was confused when I first went to the website, as the arrow key to get to the next page was tiny and was not obvious how to proceed to the next page. I finally pulled down the menu and flipped to the next page that way.

Probably just me, but think about highlighting the arrow on the first page so folks know to hit that to continue to the next picture.

–SSW

Excellent. This gives PSA a full line-up of DACs. Should do very well. It will be interesting to see how the reviewers compare it to the DS.

The Junior looks beautiful in this slim height PW chassis, with OLED display and the volume knob. And the built-in Bridge II, I think that’s another big plus.

Hrmmz… did I buy the “Senior” too early? lol. (I am just dreaming of a DS DAC with volume knob and such OLED display 105_gif)

I guess I just fell in love with the Junior (in silver). circle-of-hearts-smiley-emoticon_gif

Nice!

Is the volume control doing its business in the digital or analog domain?

If analog, is it the same principle and design as in the preamp?

Digital domain, just like DirectStream

Streets Still Works said I was confused when I first went to the website, as the arrow key to get to the next page was tiny and was not obvious how to proceed to the next page. I finally pulled down the menu and flipped to the next page that way.

Probably just me, but think about highlighting the arrow on the first page so folks know to hit that to continue to the next picture.

–SSW

Yeah, you’re not the only one. Let me see what I can do.

Easiest thing to do would be to photoshop a small black square on the apple orchard just under where the arrow would be so the arrow is more prominent. Just a thought.

I just purchased my Daddy Directstream and am over the moon in love with it.

Having said that, I would have liked that lower profile kit.

One question though…

Will the Junior will not be hardware upgradeable like the full size if future revisions are made?

I don’t directly speak for PS Audio re upgrades, but there’s plenty of room in the Jr for expansion should we ever need it. I’m very sure that we’ll be doing software updates for the DS Jr just like the DS and I don’t anticipate needing to update the hardware for years.

Paul McGowan said Sorry guys. I had promised John the "scoop" as it's called in newspapers - and had done so at CES - so we wanted to honor that commitment.

Great news! Looks like I’ll have to save my money in the next months.

Looks nice. Do like the volume control look but I sure would miss album art. To me the best feature is the USB port for firmware updates. Way better than SD cards.

Congratulations, Paul and Ted!

Nice job.