Discwasher D4 fluid

Holy moly Tony----I looked at, skimmed a bit thru the paper and thought, “ya know, streamin’ ain’t so bad”.

4 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Let’s just say it’s a comprehensive bit of work. :wink: In reality, a lot of it provides an informative basis behind the recommended techniques. The actual “how tos” for manual, vacuum, and ultrasonic cleaning are pretty well contained and straightforward. But if you’re gonna clean records for real, this is the reference.

2 Likes

It is impressive indeed.

Excellent piece of work! I scanned through it last night and was somewhat surprised that the author does not use a vacuum machine or an ultrasonic. I did not see an explanation, but I would assume it is his faith in his manual process. I have had a VPI 16.5 for about 35 years (!), I was never really impressed with its ability to get the embedded debris so maybe this manual process is the solution. On an embarrassing note, I saved this to my pdf app and discovered I had an earlier version. I must have saved it and planned on reading later, did it to myself again …

With respect to the original topic, I found this on page 94 …

VIII.14.1 Discwasher™ Formula: The formula is heavily centered around preventing the formation of micro-organisms (mold) in the record groove. Note: The common presence of microorganisms in the record groove has not been validated. The record formulation is not biodegradable.

VIII.14.1.a Sodium Azide - up to 0.3%-wt. Sodium Azide was added as the biocide.
Concentrated Sodium Azide is extremely hazardous and toxic and its use in any current record cleaning hopefully has been suspended. It is used in automobile air bags – it’s the explosive, nitrogen gas producing ingredient.

VIII.14.1.b Surfactant – up to 0.2%-wt. The surfactant was likely similar to if not Dow™ Triton™ X100 and is added as a wetting agent.

VIII.14.1.c Propylene Glycol – up to 0.2%-wt. Propylene Glycol was added as an emulsifier.

VIII.14.1.d Alcohol – up to 5%-wt. Alcohol was likely IPA and was added to assist with dissolving the surfactant into the water.

VIII.14.1.e Distilled Water – remaining percent.

Well summarized Tony. I don’t know anyone that follows it verbatim, but within those 190 pages are some great ideas on how to clean records, and a basis for various cleaning solutions.

One thing’s for sure - it takes all the mysticism out of at least record cleaning! :grinning:

I use his Liquinox formula for heavy duty cleaning (when needed) on my VPI 16.5, followed by a deionized water rinse. After that those (and records that don’t require that pre-clean) go into the ultrasonic using his no rinse formula with 2.5% IPA. I use an alcohol hydrometer check every so often to make sure I don’t lose too much IPA concentration.

1 Like

The mobile Fidelity is $19.95. This one from WalMart is only $2.14.

1 Like

As the majority of my records don’t call for a heavy cleaning I have yet to pursue the Liquinox method. My current method is similar to yours, ultrasonic bath, easy on the IPA with a drop of photo-flow in 2 gallons of solution, but I do follow-up with a DIW rinse flooding the record. Should a record be rather dusty is gets a VPI 16.5 cleaning initially, with a 5% IPA solution, then into the ultrasonic bath. I’ve cleaned over 7,500 LPs with this method and have had no problems with the LPs.
EDIT:
Tony which alcohol hydrometer are you using?

2 Likes

Those work well IME, I use them for an initial cleaning on my VPI should a record be rather dusty prior to subjecting it to an ultrasonic cleaning. On occasion I use them for a touch up cleaning PRN.

1 Like

From us.vwr.com. Model 34605-070.

2 Likes