Do you pursue Transparency, Accuracy, or Musicality?

That’s what’s really beyond my comprehension. Play an electric guitar thru an amplifier and it sounds live. It’s a signal chain and amplification, etc. Still you can tell instantly. Go figure.

FWIW, I no longer struggle with this conundrum. (I used to.)

Once I “simply” accepted that there are really only two types of music in the world, live and recorded, I shifted my focus to searching for and enjoying “good” recordings on the Hi-Fi; and reveling in the acquisition of affordable kit that makes the most of said recordings.

My $0.02.

Regards.

1 Like

Seems kind of obvious, but have you ever invited Terri in for a listening session, say when you are evaluating 10-20 versions of Ted’s latest creation? She would probably find it boring, but she would not have to be fully engaged, just listening enough to pick up the subtle cues that set each version apart. At least then she wouldn’t be outside sitting in the car waiting for you to go to dinner!

I forgot about this article… more on Nelson Pass and the addition of harmonic distortion… You really should read these two links about Nelson Pass… it really gets you thinking about what you really want… or at least what I want … more musical enjoyment.

BTW, if you feel “sweetener” is anathema to hi fidelity, check out Paul’s vid on musicality and speaker design where he notes that tilting frequency response is a designer’s palette.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

1 Like

That is an incredible article, thanks man!

The described SQ differences between negative and positive phase 2nd harmonic sound incredibly similar to to ongoing debate between the SQ differences of different versions of Snowmass…

“So why is the phase important? Well, it’s a subtle thing. I don’t suppose everyone can hear it, and fewer particularly care, but from listening tests we learn that there is a tendency to interpret negative phase 2nd [harmonic] as giving a deeper soundstage and improved localization [of images] than otherwise. Positive phase seems to put the instruments and vocals closer and a little more in-your-face with enhanced detail .”

Way back, the first time I heard tubes, I just thought the sound was just wonderful. I had no idea I was listening to a Luxman unit with tubes… I thought it was the speakers. The sales rep just smiled and said it was the tubes I was hearing. That one experience really really stuck with me to this day, 35 years later.

If tubes add distortion. I am fine with it. Having said that, there is tube equipment that is more transparent than others. That sounds contradictory, but true. So I pursue transparency, but only accept musicality, and if that is 2nd order distortion or whatever, I am fine with it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

So without dissecting your post - I think I know what you mean. Guilty as charged. I’ll go with musicality every time.

I was in a discussion with a guy where he wanted something that didn’t add anything - was completely neutral and transparent. Many times people view systems lacking bass as ‘clear and transparent ‘ when really they just lack bass lol.

I said that Maggie’s had a very organic midrange and he found that to be a negative as he thought something was being added. And I thought the term ‘organic’ meant natural. So I guess they add more naturalness to the recording. I can live with that.

1 Like

J Gordon Holt is looking down on this thread with a mile wide grin! :wink:

I agree,
My girlfriend, although very interested in audio and sound quality in general, doesn’t dig as deep into the lingo and tech involved in this hobby, will flat out call out when I’ve taken an attempt to tweaking and setup changes, and confirm the differences I have found. She’s a very good listener.

An uneducated critic is sometimes the best one. They usually speak from the heart.

2 Likes