Neutral sound - weigh in by recording engineer

Decent article and the last two paragraphs sum it up nicely.

As I have stated before, all recording is artifice.

Yep. And I Loves Me some Good Artifice! : )

1 Like

Lol - I think I agree with you:
a clever trick or stratagem; a cunning, crafty device or expedient; wile. trickery; guile; craftiness.

But I like the summation anyway:
_In recent years among audiophiles, it seems that the search for “accuracy” has superseded the search for pleasure: The very thing that got us all into this in the first place. _

I’d like to think that if your listening experiences make you want to have more of them, if the sound you are hearing on your system is making you love the music, you are probably at the destination the artist wanted you to arrive at after all.

1 Like

with ketchup?

Usually Unadulterated. Toppings give it away ; )

Badbeef is right on. Yesterday I had an Artifice salad that was outstanding. A 90 minute cornucopia of aural delight. Hi-res Cranberries, a Lovin Spoonful of Black eyed Peas , some Red Hot Chili peppers for spice then topped it off with Humble Pie. No dressing needed.

1 Like

I. Don’t. Need. No. Doctor.

It’s good that most professionals have this point of view that differs from dogmatic ones of the one or other audiophile or lobbyist of whatever gear that needs neutrality and accuracy as argument.

Nothing’s neutral, everything’s colored (we don’t talk of bad sounding extremes here)…well recognized. The only important thing is which grade and type of coloration delivers most pleasure for a listener.

But also: what does the sticking to the artist’s intent mean if he had a hearing loss while approving the mastered file/tape?

Re: the last part of your comment JN - Hearing loss pretty much goes without saying, whether you are an opera singer (standing next to other opera singers belting into your ear at 130 dB), an orchestra member (sitting in front of some loud-ass Section or other, such as Percussion or Horns, etc. - suits being filed as we speak about this issue)…or a R&R guitarist. Not to mention simple aging-related loss.

Though I think most musicians perception of their recorded sound evolves along with changes in their hearing just like us mortal humans. The brain adjusts for it.

I would also guess that whatever pleases the most people and sells the most product typically hamonizes with the artist’s wishes.

Hah, yeah, so your last sentence means that the artists intention of sound is less important to him as the financial success :wink: probably yes. I think artists should leave the major part of sound aspects to those who know better what should be on a CD etc.

I discussed (with Paul and Ted) and understood the brain adjustment for hearing losses.

Anyhow I think many hearing losses of musicians really affect their ability to define absolute sound balance. Often also the monitoring conditions are more than catastrophic, too. I remember that story where the approval session for Eagles/Hotel California was done with speakers lying under a desk. I could easily pass on artists intents based on such monitoring :wink: