Does an audiophile atlas exist?

Is there a table, perhaps an annual breakdown in an audiophile magazine or other publication, that lists current audio components and their measurements, classifications, ie (frequency response, sound temperature, power consumption, efficiency)?

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of today. If I recall correctly, Stereophile at one time published a dedicated, annual equipment directory that was a comprehensive list of manufacturers offerings complete with pricing and specifications (sometimes limited depending on what the manufacturer provided). Again if I recall correctly, Stereophile decided to discontinue that edition because it was too much effort to compile. Not sure whether my possibly faulty memory is consistent with anybody else’s recollection.

In the old n days, internet search engines were actually manually compiled directories, but then there were just too many pages,and google was born (somewhat truncated and simplified!).
Possibly the same applies :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I would have guessed. The world and the internet are much bigger places now and such a thing would likely be of little value to a company not actually profiting from it. A pity.

Yeah I think that’s right, and Audio magazine did same before that in the 80s and 90s. Absolute Sound puts out an issue now but not even close to comprehensive, and doesn’t list specs but rather a paragraph or two summarizing a review. Not the same as the old days. Those issues at the newsstand were always much more expensive than the regular issues, but I enjoyed shelling out for them and then pouring over the contents as a kid

I started my Internet access business at a time when you could visit every single world wide website in one day. I did it frequently. With a modem.

3 Likes

Happy days, still got modems stashed in the garage :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am puzzled, I use a modem that I bought to access Comcast to avoid renting their box. Am I doing some thing to save $ or obtain a better picture.
Thanks in advance,

Modems are a great modern invention. When I started in computing I had to use 300baud acoustic couplers. Now we have routers and hubs and speeds that were unimaginable fifty years ago, just like memory boards with more than 16k bytes or disc drives of just 10mb.

Regarding the OP, those in the UK might remember that there used to be a HiFi Yearbook that compiled things annually - those were the days of just a few manufacturers. They were also the days when you could identify a car by the noise it made - now I want to scream at the noise pollution of not just cars but aeroplanes - drives me mad!

1 Like

Noise pollution (and air pollution) is a huge problem around here - sandwiched between a motorway, main road, commuter airport, and railway line, I’m tired of constantly smelling diesel/petrol and listening to 'em!
That first lockdown was wonderfully quiet :slight_smile:

Lockdown was wonderful, you could properly hear the birds.

I’ve just watched No Time To Die - gave my DD18+ a good workout!

1 Like

Gosh I was moaning!
…though I forgot to mention the light pollution around here too :smiley:

Light pollution is frustrating. Even when out of the city as I am relatively few stars can be seen even on the most perfect clear evening.

2 Likes

Indeed - I used to be able to escape to Snowdonia camping to see the Milky Way, but that’s all to cold and uncomfortable now :wink:

The darkest skies I’ve ever had the privilege to witness are in West Texas. I did my Masters observations at McDonald Observatory. The night sky at Mount Locke is dazzling. The first time I was able to clearly see the faint glow of the Milky Way. There was a reason for locating the observatory in West Texas, it wasn’t just proximity to UT Austin.

3 Likes

This must have been astounding.