DS and Meridian's New Format

I’d be interested in Ted Smith’s thoughts on this and from anyone else who attends CES this week:

http://www.stereophile.com/how-is-ted-coding-the-fpgaent/ive-heard-future-streaming-meridians-mqa

If the recording industry embraces this, it could change the landscape in a profound way.

Bob Stuart is no fan of DSD and if my understanding is correct John Atkinson stated that due to the noise shaping the information above 50kHz will occupy too much information for this method to be effective.

Frode said Bob Stuart is no fan of DSD and if my understanding is correct John Atkinson stated that due to the noise shaping the information above 50kHz will occupy too much information for this method to be effective.
I am so "lame" when it comes to this subject. that I don't understand the significance of the statement you attribute to Atkinson. Please forgive my ignorance. I thought Atkinson was praising the format and believes it has promise.

A different way of saying it is that Bob was betting on DVD-A rather than SACD. He did a lot of work to support DVD-A and has a lot of expertise there. He doesn’t like DSD for a number of reasons, among them is that the HF noise from DSD is hard to compress (a problem for DSD lossless compression too.)

If I had never heard DSD I would like much of Bob’s work. However my ears tell me that the weird and problematic noise shaped world of DSD hurts the signal less and results in a more realistic reproduction of it’s input.

Thanks, TED. That helps a lot. Have you heard any MQA files? Also, I guess I should conclude from this that, if MQA becomes the defacto streaming format for a number of services that the DS and any future FPGA’s you create will “ignore” the code? Again, I apologize for my shaky grasp of technology. Feel free to set me straight. FWIW, I love the DS, but I take no sides in the DSD/ PCM controversy/debate.

No I haven’t yet heard any of the files. I’m sure any demo files will sound fine. But with DVD-A it took a while for people to find files that showed possible audible downsides of the watermarking.

Like .flac files it will be up to the player/streamer to unpack any PCM content so it’s not a DS issue.

I really appreciate your help in following this development, Ted. I look forward to your future DS firmware development. Glad you’re in the driver’s seat.

Ted Smith said A different way of saying it is that Bob was betting on DVD-A rather than SACD. He did a lot of work to support DVD-A and has a lot of expertise there. He doesn't like DSD for a number of reasons, among them is that the HF noise from DSD is hard to compress (a problem for DSD lossless compression too.)
As far as I remember, one of the main reasons was the licensing.

As opposed to DVD-A’s licensing? DVD-A used MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing…) Don’t get me started :)

Yep :wink: Meridian’s own vs Sony’s own. Bob does not want to pay anybody ;)

But Bob did MLP is my point. He has a vested interest in DVD-A instead of SACD. This new format is very familiar.

The background you provide here would’ve improved the Stereophile piece. Glad I decided to ask about it, though I gather it may be a can o’ worms. Sorry about that.