DS break-in "options"

I guess playing music through your system is the most efficient way to break-in, but are there other ways?

1. If DS is on standby mode, will this help its break-in?

2. How about if DS is just “on”, but no music playing?

3. If you play music through it (but the rest of the “chain” is off), will this accelerate break-in?

4. Must the next equipment (e.g. preamp) be on to music (current) really “flow” through DS and thus further accelerate break-in?

Any thoughts / experts?

Turn your DAC on with the volume all the way up and feed it music signals. There is no need to have your speakers playing to break the DAC in. Be patient as it takes a long time for the DAC to break in and vary the music you run through it.

This was discussed a while ago and is probably buried in the original “First Impressions” thread. Ted told us that more current flows through the DS output if the 20dB attenuator is switched in. So the only thing I would add to what lwin1949 said is that you switch in the attenuator after you’ve set the volume to 100. Sounds odd but that’s what a number of us did. Then grab a cup of coffee and wait a few hundred hours.20_gif21_gif21_gif

I use the XLO Reference Recording System Conditioning CD. Track 9 on repeat with either the PWT or via Bridge. As noted by tony22, put the DS into low gain. Here’s a link if you want to have a go: http://www.amazon.com/XLO-Reference-Test-Burn-In/dp/B0000015AL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409087763&sr=8-1&keywords=xlo+reference+recordings+test+%26+burn-in+cd

Also, as noted above, you don’t need amps and speakers on. Just the DAC and transport/Bridge.

When burning in my PWD I played ocean wave recordings continuously when not playing music. The sound of ocean waves breaking sounds very much like the output of the Hagerman Frybaby burn-in signal generator so I would expect the effect to be similar. I also happen to like the sound of waves breaking and often use these recordings for background sound. It seemed to work for my PWD. :slight_smile: When I can eventually afford to buy a DS I will give it the same treatment.

J.P.

Thank you wingsound13! This is a good idea and my wife will love this. How I didn’t get this idea earlier? My wife sometimes listens wave sounds but playing them through my system would really make an effect!

And yes, I remember that break-in was covered in the “first impressions” but I was just lazy to go through all the pages.

rossop said I use the XLO Reference Recording System Conditioning CD. Track 9 on repeat with either the PWT or via Bridge. As noted by tony22, put the DS into low gain. Here's a link if you want to have a go: http://www.amazon.com/XLO-Reference-Test-Burn-In/dp/B0000015AL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409087763&sr=8-1&keywords=xlo+reference+recordings+test+%26+burn-in+cd

Also, as noted above, you don’t need amps and speakers on. Just the DAC and transport/Bridge.

Thanks for the tip. i have just ordered it.

I have the Nordost “System Set-Up & Tuning Disc”, which has a “de-gauss” track (which is really awful to listen to). Would you folks recommend running that thru the DAC for “break in”? Or running it thru the DAC from time to time for a “tune up”?

That’s probably a fine disc to brake in with. The de-gauss track may actually be of literal use on the output transformers now and then.

Hello all.

I have a question concerning break-in.

I would like to know can the Memerory Player be run into the Direct Stream dac… 24/7… without any detrimental effects to either unit?

I will not be using computer audio at this time,just redbook cd’s. Seems to me, a least, that a transport was not made to run constantly.

Thanks for any and all replys.

Mark

This is perfectly fine.

I’ve done this breaking in the Mark 2 version of the PWD and for breaking in the DirectStream. No problems encountered; I’ve been using my PWT heavily for three years and it just gets better so far.

You could plug pretty much any thing digital into the DAC for break in, even your cable tv box. Save your CD player some wear and tear.

But then your CDs will sound like cable TV.

My FIOS “cable” box only sends Dolby Digital–no LPCM (checked the manual and confirmed). Very annoying but my TV does put out PCM over Toslink (TV sound over the DS isn’t that bad, depending on source).