Dynamic Range Database

Hi folks, I am sure this has been discussed before but I am new to the subject. I discovered this database and I am wondering if it is a good tool to go with when looking to buy new CD’s. I’m not an engineer, so I can only go by what information I can find in order to get the best sounding version of a CD.

Looking at this database, it appears all the older versions have the best sound or dynamic range. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help

https://dr.loudness-war.info

Even though DR isn’t necessarily a sure sign of a recording’s sound quality I do use that database quite frequently when shopping for CD’s that have had many releases over the years. Quite useful when perusing the used bins.

Additionally I do use it when I’m interested in a brand new release. If the number is really bad that tells me I don’t need to spend top dollar for the disc and should wait to find it cheap later, if at all. It is depressing to see recent releases from artists I enjoy with DR numbers of 4 and below.

1 Like

It provides a little bit of information which many take much too seriously.

1 Like

It is depressing to see how much compressed crap there is out there. Looking at these ranges may not be official, but it does verify what I have been hearing all these years.

The DR Database is a great tool but dynamic range is not the only indicator of mastering quality.

I have found reading and searching the stevehoffman.tv forum is the best way to find the best CD, SACD, and hires masterings for most albums.

2 Likes