EMI/RFI Absorbers

I use the epluggs to suppress EMI and noise. I’ve also tried cell phone suppressor chips. Audioquest USB JitterBug. Donald, doesn’t your Akiko USB suppressor affect the Lumin or DAC?
The epluggs contain minerals and gemstones. They ensure a blacker background at an open entrance or exit. You can also build plugs yourself by filling them with tourmaline powder.

1 Like

Very interesting! Now I’m more familiar with the SQ from U2, I’ll try Akiko USB again after I’m done with the 3M experience.

1 Like

Try the Akiko USB anywhere there is a USB port. The Epluggs USB on my DAC provided a smooth, full sound.

1 Like

I have been listening to the system with the last 3M absorbent placement (on 1/2 chips) in U2 for the last hour (after golfing at Santa Cruz, a beautiful coastal course). The sound is very nice, I do not plan to open U2 to remove all the absorbents inside to compare. The SQ is quite good and I can live with it happily, until it is not. That could happen you know. :laughing:

Okay, I may try the Akiko USB stick later. :thinking:

2 Likes

I reduced the amount of absorbent to only two chips now, and these two seem to be the busiest chips inside U2. The SQ is noticeably cleaner, and the dynamic is excellent. Back and forth a couple times and I was able to confirm the SQ improvement. For who interested in Lumin U2 this is the way:

5 Likes

Have you tried your Akiko Audio USB?

yes, I did. Akiko USB at the streamer sounded smoother but lacked spark, But it is a tidy difference. I prefer the SQ without it. I believe the AQ Dragon Source and Shunyata omega USB links have done enough noise cleaning job already. Also, the fiber optic between switch and Lumin probably blocked most of the digital noise too. In the past it did help more.

There is a FW update USB slot at DS MK2, and surprisingly Akiko inserted there made a SQ change too. Again, after a few hours I like the SQ without it.

Another 3M absorbent “T” section I placed on top of display of MK2 was removed too. It did make the SQ a bit cleaner, but at the cost of dynamic. The Furutech NCF wall outlet plus the Massive update seem to make my system sound clearer and more dynamic. Therefore, the 3m absorbent does not help as much anymore.

1 Like

I also think that too much EMI protection makes the sound warmer and smoother, too much slows down the dynamics. It all depends on the mix. The right amount in the right place. The Furutech NCF does a good job, much clearer.

1 Like

Just tried to place a sheet of 3M absorber on my dedicated panel breaker and… it seems to do nothing!

My fantasy has no limits, I’m afraid tomorrow I’ll put it back in its drawer. I need a vacation from hifi, I need to restart working as soon as possible for my mental health! Wait wait, Monday morning is coming quickly sobh…

2 Likes

Didn’t you just come back from vacation? I am lucky that I am on vacation forever. I have 3/4 sheet left and I have not tried to put it in the panel breaker yet.

I put it in my wine celler to block EMI and it did nothing to improve the wine either (kidding!). I may try it soon in breaker.

2 Likes

When we came to favorable tweaks. Maybe someone wants to tune a standard backup with small 3M strips. The QSA fuses also look like someone stuck small strips of 3M absorber onto a 30 cent fuse. .:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Don’t get Vmax started again!

3 Likes

think Donald and Luca still have some of the 3M 7050 sheet left. :rofl: Before we spend a lot of money on fuses. Maybe that tiny piece of 3M makes a difference

2 Likes

Umm…no surprise there. Think Omega E mat!

1 Like

I remember the changes I heard when I added the magic 3m material to my Grimm MU1. It would be similar in description to what Vmax said about his Master Fuse experience. It was bloody awful. Really bad. I reduced the amount, still terrible. I took it all out. Ahhhhhh.

This is the big reason why I no longer second guess the engineering of my devices. You go ahead and have fun. I’m done with that stuff. There still is a piece on my P20 though.

3 Likes

I believe a stellar system does not need such tweak, such as yours.

When the DS Mk2 got the Mt. Massive update, I had to remove 2/3 of 3M coverage on it because it sounded better without most of it. I should get my MK2 back tomorrow with the APS update, and I wonder if 3M will be needed. I will find out.

3 Likes

Agreed. If engineered properly there shouldn’t be a need for these sheets.

1 Like

It doesn’t work on my my McIntosh Gear. I have hunted it neither improves degrades Streaming gear and power equipment it is another story. But there is a magic balance. My M-1 bacch4mac it is a painstaking placement as was the P-20. A millimeter or two changes the world. Power cables most are pretty similar needing placement in same place but fairly forgiving they pretty much all respond similarly.

1 Like

Admittedly, though I do not question the painstaking efforts that you have made to rid the world of its airborne gremlins, I have found that for me, peace of mind is paramount. I do not have the tenacity or discipline to make the incremental moves required, and also have the uncertainty that there is still more that might be improved. I’m lazy and trust (for the most part) that the better the gear, the more the attention is made to reduce these effects.
Recently, I removed my absorber sheet on the P20. The sound got cleaner and more open. A few years back I would have said it was the sheet that improved things. There have been a lot of changes and upgrades to the system so the base line has certainly moved. So, at present, l’m taking a pass on this tweak zone. So many other fish to fry.

7 Likes

i did just get my DAC MKII back from JKR w upgraded transformers, but i am wanting to join that tweak pass zone with ya.

1 Like