Equipment you wish you never sold. What?

I don’t often spin a silver disc, but when I do…

Connected to my DS Sr. via toslink.

Unfortunately, it just gave up playing SACDs and I can’t find anyone that can fix it (no parts available) :cry:

Vandersteen 2. I’ll admit, they were ugly but I loved them.

1 Like

Think in my case it’d have to be my old Marantz 7.

I had one too and sold it because I just didn’t have enough SACDs. It was made of 1mm thick aluminum and had a suspended turntable type mechanism - looked like something from science fiction. Beautifully overengineered. These days you’d be looking at five figures for something that matched it.

That’s a bummer. How much time did you get out of it? I read somewhere that disc transports rarely last 20 years due to wear and tear. Still this one seemed to be more indestructible than average.

Many of those old transports had adjustable aiming mechanisms. Take them apart And you will find two or more screws for adjustment. Tweak and you can bring many back to life. Seriously, it was pretty common.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

2 Likes

The Sony SCD-777ES was a wonderful piece.

2 Likes

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Senior. Ended up buying another one.

3 Likes

Bought it about 2002, so 17ish years. The internal CD DAC has been easily outdone for many years, but as a transport with data fed into the DS DAC it still holds its own.

1 Like

Easy…I’m still trying to rebuild my old system(s) by buying and selling gear!

1. Pioneer CT-F1000 or CT-F1250 cassette deck;
  2. My acrylic HPM-100’s (pair!);
  3. My ole SPEC-1 Pioneer preamp.

…That said, I’ve managed to re-purchase (albeit not all working as yet) all the other gear I’d had to sell off over the decades, including my DBX tape encode/decode unit (OK, I kept that’un, but upgraded the model…) and my first ‘higher-end’ tape deck, a Panasonic RS-232US. I still love that deck, even IF it doesn’t sound like the Pioneers I miss so much…

Pass 30.5. Great amp.

Many moons ago I owned Rogers JR-149 monitors with the companion passive subwoofer. Not even sure how many high enders even remember or ever heard them.
A unique design: aluminum cylinder with end caps. The entire assembly held together with a single threaded stiffening rod.
These little beauties created a wall to wall image I’ve never been able to replicate since. I regret the day I sold them. : - (
They’re collectable now. Ah well …

Threshold preamp and S150 stereo amplifier. Loved that combo and sound…

1 Like

@RobH - My first system in 1981 had an Oracle TT and Dynavector ruby cartridge… I loved that TT… VPI record cleaner with vacuum… zerostat gun and all the crap used to keep it real…

2 Likes

McIntosh MC250
Aragon 4004 MkII
Benz Micro ACE H

My father’s old Klipsch Cornwall II’s.

I’m a former Benz guy. What are you using now?

Currently an Ortofon 2M Bronze. Good cart, and will probably upgrade to the Black. Or go with another Benz at some point.

@cardri - Some number of years ago, I was tasked with selling my late father’s system. I was not into stereo at all, just a 5.1 system for movies and such. I already had a few committed buyers for some pieces, but was counseled that I had to set the whole thing up for testing. Gee, makes sense.

I hooked up the Oracle TT, fired up the Bryston amp to power Maggie 2.2s (I don’t recall the preamp), and put on some vinyl - Ein deutsches Requiem, I believe. My wife and I were absolutely floored by the sound. Instantly converted.

I had to get rid of most bits, but I kept the Maggies. I’ve since moved on to Maggie 3.7s.

Oh, but that turntable! I’m not sure if I’m better off without it (space, fuss, etc.), but it was a memorable moment that got me started down the path.

@RobH - yeah, I loved my system back in the day; however, the TT is a passion for others. I sold all my equipment a year after I got married in 1985 and concentrated on feeding a family, building a house and all that goes w/ family responsibilities. Fast forward to 2018 and the start of my 2nd system. I vowed this system would be about listening to music as opposed to getting ready to listen to music. However, I set aside $30K last fall for a Basis TT until I heard streaming for the 1st time in my life and then it was over… I love the enjoyment TTs can bring and understand all the passion audiophiles have about them; never a hater… however, I also love my digital rig and all the pleasure it brings to me. Maybe when I retire in 5 years I might get back to that TT passion…

2 Likes

Nice. I like the way you put that.

In the early days of my system (not all that long ago), I’d be flipping CDs, track-by-track for the most part. Now I sit in the comfort of my chair and never really have to get up, much less prep vinyl.

1 Like