Ever have nights like this?

I HOPE this not humor, but… came home tonight, poured one, toggled on the gear, played a couple new tracks, nah, resorted to the old standards - uh uh, safety in the known favorite reference tracks…right?? I would swear someone came in to my soundroom during the day, adjusted all the tone controls I don’t have, moved the speakers, put a sheet of Christmas semi-translucent wrapping paper over the tweeters and switched the system to quasi-mono… After numerous moves of the Mags - I just gave up & shut it down.
I know Covid affects the taste & smell but the ears??
Anyone had nights like that??
oy-vey… :flushed:

1 Like

I fear it might be CBTinnitus… Charlie Brown’s Teacher-innitus…
Wah wrah - wah wah

And no cheap shots at my pikpen/pigpen nickname…
Seriously tho, the room was NOT RIGHT…

It’s why I stopped drinkin’…:cowboy_hat_face:

Yes. Sometimes the rig just seems off for no apparent reason.

Next day all is well.

Something to ponder, for sure.

If you get three days in a row of “Meh”, I suggest you do some further digging.

It’s why I started! :grin::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yep. Typically after a particularly crappy day pounding on the electronic grindstone for a minimum of 8 hours. Dealing with subcontractors good at breaking things, dealing with a government customer upset about everything while being partially responsible for everything it’s harping about. I can’t pour enough on days like that. The rig stays off as well. I’m absolutely convinced mental state, mood in particular, has a lot to do with my enjoyment of my gear.

5 Likes

Funny that you said this just now because I recently had an entire day feeling like my system had fallen off a cliff.
I looked at the variables on my P20 and everything was normal.
So I just pushed away from it and the next day my ears were back to normal. Sigh of relief…

5 Likes

I tried the clean system on P20. Sometimes that will clear up crap. I have also resorted to reload of Windom. Supposedly helps degaussing in the DSD and will set things right.

1 Like

Interesting…

Sometimes, I wonder if a power outage might be funking things up, since I do most of my listening via the DS Sr. DAC. Maybe I should make a habit of making sure I don’t leave the Scan Disk pushed into the unit once things are sounding “right”. That way I am not getting inadvertent reloads of the Firm Ware, given the observed idiosyncrasies of certain Firm Ware loads. Thanks for the insight.

It usually would take around a hundred hours. I mentioned it in the Windom thread and Ted postulated could be need of degaussing that was setting it right. I leave SD card out too in case it mucks up the sound from power outage reload.

1 Like

Well I know it happens to OTHER guys… but it’s never happened to ME before… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
As I lower my head between my palms & sit on the edge of my listening chair in shame…

Tonight I’m gonna take 2 lil blue pills aurally and wait 20 minutes & try again… :laughing:

I also think that - especially if you live somewhere it’s now winter, power randomness and static into your wires and gears can build up. Sometimes a manual, controlled power outage (including unplugging everything for a while) can help. Worth a shot.

1 Like

Or crappy power like this. I still havent been able to pin it down except “solar flares” seem to be a general excuse.

That’s funny. My last job in the Air Force was as a combat communications engineer. We had a range of digital and analog systems we used to provide the communications pipe for a wing commander remotely deployed. Our equipment was broken as often as it worked. When we didn’t know why, “sun spot activity” always convinced the upper brass to back off.

2 Likes

Sun spots. Yeah, that’s the ticket. Sun spots.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I live in a 230v country. THD is never above 1, but voltage can be anything between 223 and 238! Before getting the P15, I used a Dectet and it used to trip like 2 - 3 times a day! The P15 never did it. Given that I have this wild voltage, and the fact that I have input tubes i the BHK pre, I opted for higher regulation in the setup, and this helps sound quality big time.

2 Likes

yep 235 up to 250 volt here in the uk…

2 Likes

P15 Specs.
Under Voltage Limit: Continuous -10% of setting 15 sec duration -15% of setting
Over Voltage Limit: Continuous 5% of setting 15 sec duration 10% of setting
So, you’re ok until 253 volts but only for 15 seconds. :grin: