First Music for my New Sprout

I imagine I’m not the only one reading this forum who can get a bit obsessive when waiting for a new audio product to arrive. As a Kickstarter backer, I’m counting the weeks until October.

In the meantime, I’ve cleared a spot on the audio rack and even run some speaker wire (spouse thinks I’m nuts). Today I began to consider what the first music is going to be that I play once my Sprout arrives. I’ve settled (for the moment) on the following albums:

The Lumineers – Self titled 2013 Album

Josh Ritter – The Animal Years

The Antlers – Familiars

Anyone else want to play?

I was thinking of going with the HDTracks release of Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue: http://www.hdtracks.com/kind-of-blue-stereo.

Welcome, Frede!

(My vote goes to my fellow cervidae, The Antlers.)

Yes, welcome! I can tell you the first thing I played was a lame old Patricia Barber piece, Light my Fire, her rendition of the Doors great song. It was mesmerizing and I wound up listening to the rest of the album!

Thank you for the warm welcome, all!

Definitely The Lumineers! I have also been enjoying and highly recommend the new Nick Waterhouse album Holly as this young guy is making new music, but the style is old and jazzy and great. Think Duke Ellington. Also, for anyone who has not experienced Beck’s new album Morning Phase, it’s slow and subtle and beautiful. Lucky me, I get to see him at Red Rocks next week! Woo!

Lumineers will be second for me. First will have to be “Shaker” by David Johansen and the Harry Smiths downloaded from HDtracks.

First will most likely be Eric Clapton - Unplugged. Followed by Hypnotic Eye and the Lumineers.

Mike - I just sampled some tracks from “Shaker”. I’ll be buying that album for sure. Thanks!

Speaking of Hypnotic Eye, I saw Tom Petty/Heartbreakers with Steve Winwood in Eugene, Oregon last night. Great show! I used earplugs except for occasional loudness samplings where I pulled them out briefly. The decibel level was at least in the “Holy Crap!!” range.

Sprout will be powering my desktop system. I recently bought a PSB SubSeries 100 Subwoofer to go under the desk, so my first album will probably be the The Black Keys - Turn Blue so I can adjust the output of the sub to match the level of Sprout.

Scott, your latest update inspired my to give that Birdy album a go and it is good stuff. I bought the Beck album earlier this year and it is on my short list of albums to upgrade to hi-res.

Can’t wait for my Sprout to arrive!

@New Media thanks for the awesome input, glad you’re listening to The Black Keys as they are amazing! Wouldn’t harp on this except last night listened to Keep it Hid by Dan Auerbach (this is one of my FAVORITE all time albums) who of course is the singing/songwriting half of The Black Keys and this is kind of a solo album. The first cut, Trouble Weighs a Ton, really slays it. I have it on vinyl but find myself also listening to it through Rdio–>bluetooth–>Sprout and it’s just fantastic!

Happy thanksgiving!

Best,

Scott

BlueCoast Records DSF files; The Civil Wars, Barton Hollow; Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture (Telarc 1979); Madonna, Ray of Light, Swim; Linn Records, 24 Preludes, Op. 28: No. 15 in D flat Major ‘Raindrop’ (one of their 24 bits of Christmas 2014).

An album that I’ll recommend to all other Sprout owners is “L.A. Woman” by The Doors. I’ve been listening to my own 96/26 DVD-A rip, but I believe that it is identical to the HDtracks release. All high-res music I have played on the Sprout so far has sounded spectacular, but this one really takes the cake. Very rich, warm and welcoming, yet also punchy and direct.

Wyatt said BlueCoast Records DSF files; The Civil Wars, Barton Hollow; Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture (Telarc 1979); Madonna, Ray of Light, Swim; Linn Records, 24 Preludes, Op. 28: No. 15 in D flat Major 'Raindrop' (one of their 24 bits of Christmas 2014).
How are you playing the DSF files?

DSF thru JRiver conversion. Did it the hard way- read the Sprout manual and found nothing about DSF (hint- add something to the manual), stepped thru all 3 of Jriver’s DSF and their 2 DoP settings. Than came here & read the DSF topic.

The first album i listened to when i got my sprout was Tonbruket - Dig it to the end. It’s a swedish band (instrumental)

It gave me goosebumps instantly. Masterfully recorded and mastered! It really hits all the spots, clear and detailed sound! But foremost it’s a good record =)

music-078_gifhappy-048_gifgoofy-heart_gif

Thanks for letting us know!!

My pleasure sir! Give it a spin :wink: I think it’s availble on tidal too.